Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding window rattle - new window unit recommended by main dealer!

DOMINICGG1234

DOMINICGG1234

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all

Just had a service at the main dealer. I asked them to have a look at the sliding window which when firmly closed and locked seems to open and then start rattling.

They charged me an hour’s labour and diagnosed that there was corrosion on the runner. Have quoted over £1,000 for a new window. Advice please!

IMG_4658.jpeg

IMG_4661.jpeg

IMG_4662.jpeg

Hi all

Just had a service at the main dealer. I asked them to have a look at the sliding window which when firmly closed and locked seems to open and then start rattling.

They charged me an hour’s labour and diagnosed that there was corrosion on the runner. Have quoted over £1,000 for a new window. Advice please!

View attachment 111619

View attachment 111620

View attachment 111621
Just to clarify… this is the sliding door window? I can’t see any obvious corrosion in the photo. As I recall the runner is all plastic so I’m wondering exactly what could be corroded enough to justify replacing. VW will probably outsource the fitting to Autoglass or similar so you could bypass VW.
Is it the locking mechanism that’s at fault? If so there’s a video on YouTube showing how to replace (also worth a search on here).
If you do need it replacing its might be worth considering just a fixed glass, with no opening or a non OEM one. You might be aware that the OEM sliding windows are prone to leaking through the drains (ironic).
£1000 sounds steep! Especially as there’s a good chance the new window will leak!

Back