Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Slight Panic!!!!!

K

KAM38

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So, i have booked a parking space at Manchester airport (depart early tomorrow) didn't really consider that the Cali may be too high :(.
On the airport parking site it says max height is 2m - looking at VW site it says the height of the Cali is 1990cm - although from the illustration on the site it looks like it doesn't take into consideration the awning rail or the slightly higher protruding roof that is different from the Transporter.
Has anybody got any experience of parking at the multi story + Manchester airport - and more importantly did the Cali get through without a very expensive scraping noise :Depressed.
Any reply's on this hugely appreciated as i cannot cancel the booking now.......

Hmmmm, I would not chance it, sorry:( minimum I would do is 2.1m, even then I would by driving very very slowly.

Also, have you checked your insurer allows you to leave unattended as many don't allow this.

It should fit, I've not come across anything marked as 2m that I cant get under. Most signs have an extra bit of leeway anyway.

The 1990 includes the extra bit of roof, the awning doesn't stick up any higher than the highest point of the roof.

However, some people reckon their calis are slightly higher!

If your fully loaded with luggage & people thats got to be worth 20mm off the height.

I would not chance it, I have been to several car parks that claim they are 2m and found that the odd light or air vent is is lower than the claimed height, I now have a rule of nothing below 2.2m, it's just not worth the risk with the potential damage it could do

We regularly park our Cali in car parks marked with 1.90 metre height. It looks scary - but we have never had a problem. I get out and watch the roof as my husband parks! In Sicily - we even managed a car park marked as maximum height 1.89 m - but only after being coaxed in by the car park attendant!

2 metres...no problem if the factory option awning is your highest point.
Promise.

I do the 2 metre car parks and did them also before i lowered it.

I measured my Cali and it was 2.01m. The highest point was the rear of the awning. I had a slight melt down as we were due to drive to the Alps in it and park in an underground car park with a max height of 2m. We put all our luggage in the boot area and filled the water tank, I then re measured it and it was down to 1.99m, problem solved and the Cali fitted fine.

I measured my Cali and it was 2.01m. The highest point was the rear of the awning. I had a slight melt down as we were due to drive to the Alps in it and park in an underground car park with a max height of 2m. We put all our luggage in the boot area and filled the water tank, I then re measured it and it was down to 1.99m, problem solved and the Cali fitted fine.
I just don't get this....if the Cali is standard, I respectfully challenge your method of measuring. :D

You are welcome to pop round with a tape measure anytime.
I've looked at where you live and it's not on my door step would you like to bring it round? :Grin
Seriously though....
I'm going to have to get outside with a tape measure and check mine this week end aren't I.

Don’t assume your Cali can always get under a 2m height limitation.

I know a carpark I can’t enter because of the correctly heighted 2m sign itself restricts access because it is above a down ramp, and when my front wheels reach the flat ground at the bottom of the ramp the centre of my vehicle becomes over 2m high!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t assume your Cali can always get under a 2m height limitation.

I know a carpark I can’t enter because of the correctly heighted 2m sign itself restricts access because it is above a down ramp, and when my front wheels reach the flat ground at the bottom of the ramp the centre of my vehicle becomes over 2m high!

The sign is useless then and how did you find that out?
The clearance at that ramp as you approach the bottom and land your front wheels should be adaquate to comply with the sign, if its not, the sign should be changed. Poor job.

Used every week.
992A636C-F07B-4ADB-9F21-B201CED32515.jpeg

The sign is useless then and how did you find that out?
The clearance at that ramp as you approach the bottom and land your front wheels should be adaquate to comply with the sign, if its not, the sign should be changed. Poor job.

Agreed the sign is useless, actually worse than useless, it creates a problem that otherwise wouldn’t exist. I found out because I suspected that the workman who
Installed it hadn’t considered the geometry at stake, and so I had my passenger hop out and watch.
The sign should be changed, but I honestly doubt it’s worth my time or effort to try to get the building manager to deal with it. I can see where that conversation would head.

There has definitely been a post on thecJanchester airport car park in the past on exactly this point. Have a good search.

So, i have booked a parking space at Manchester airport (depart early tomorrow) didn't really consider that the Cali may be too high :(.
On the airport parking site it says max height is 2m - looking at VW site it says the height of the Cali is 1990cm - although from the illustration on the site it looks like it doesn't take into consideration the awning rail or the slightly higher protruding roof that is different from the Transporter.
Has anybody got any experience of parking at the multi story + Manchester airport - and more importantly did the Cali get through without a very expensive scraping noise :Depressed.
Any reply's on this hugely appreciated as i cannot cancel the booking now.......
Had no problems with my 14plate Cali only had 17” alloys and have used carparks with height of 1.9m

Same here - 2016 Beach with 17inch wheels and regularly use 2.0 car parks. The Waitrose in Winchester has an underground’s 2.0m car park with a very steep ramp entry that immediately does a 90 degree right turn as you enter - so you’re heavily sloped and turning at the same time! A very squeaky bum moment the first time I did it but no problems at all!

Ours is a T6 Ocean, 18" wheels but -20mm Sport line springs no problem with 2m height carparks.

Had no problems with my 14plate Cali only had 17” alloys and have used carparks with height of 1.9m
Makes no difference if you have 16",17" or 18" VW supplied wheels as the tyres change size accordingly so that the rolling circumference/diameter remains the same, or within 1-3mm.

Now if you fit non-standard wheels/tyres then it might make a difference.

Makes no difference if you have 16",17" or 18" VW supplied wheels as the tyres change size accordingly so that the rolling circumference/diameter remains the same, or within 1-3mm.

Was just giving the OP our setup :thumb

Agree with you but to slightly complicate the issue - new tyres have approx 8mm tread and worn ones down to 2mm giving a 6mm variation.

Ramps either entering or exiting low barriers need careful attention, I have experienced issues where getting in was OK but trying to exit was a big problem.

Back