Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Slight Panic!!!!!

I've not had any issues with a 2m restriction and I frequently use multistorey carparks across the UK with my 2017 Ocean... However, if you do go in, be mindful that a sign on the outside, may not always be true of all the height limitations inside... Whilst I've not used the Manchester Airport one in my California, I have been to some that have lights, conduits and other paraphernalia on the ceiling inside, that are much lower than the entrance barrier.

Have you tried calling them?

Hmmmm, I would not chance it, sorry:( minimum I would do is 2.1m, even then I would by driving very very slowly.

Also, have you checked your insurer allows you to leave unattended as many don't allow this.
It's slightly tangential, but Victor, what does your last sentence mean?

posted twice by mistake but can't find how to delete it, only alter it

Does it not let you leave your van parked?

I think they mean if you leave the van in storage away from your home address

For clarity, I have just had a look at Comfort's policy and it says you are covered if the camper van is stored at a CASSOA storage facility or at a non-CASSOA storage location that has been approved by them (don't know if this includes airport carparks), and it is not covered if it's stored for more than 48 hours 'anywhere other than the storage location disclosed to us in your statement of fact'.

This would seem to be a serious limitation on the use of the van. In that case I'm very glad that Comfort were not prepared to insure us as we have to park the van on the street. Our insurance policy (via Adrian Flux) doesn't have this limitation.

This is what it says in the policy.

f6c309fa61824490435a111253cc6e93.jpg

For me it’s not a problem but we all have different insurance requirements and ways we use our vehicles.

I take this as stopping people who as an example register there normal storage location as a secure garage and then leave it somewhere else. I spoke to them and with my requirements don’t have a problem. Each to their own and do you own research. We quite rightly are cautious about insurers finding a way not to pay out and they are equally cautious as believe it or not people rip them off.

Mike

For clarity, I have just had a look at Comfort's policy and it says you are covered if the camper van is stored at a CASSOA storage facility or at a non-CASSOA storage location that has been approved by them (don't know if this includes airport carparks), and it is not covered if it's stored for more than 48 hours 'anywhere other than the storage location disclosed to us in your statement of fact'.

This would seem to be a serious limitation on the use of the van. In that case I'm very glad that Comfort were not prepared to insure us as we have to park the van on the street. Our insurance policy (via Adrian Flux) doesn't have this limitation.

Yes, this is the primary reason I didn’t insure with Comfort. It struck me that they are super-inflexible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would concern me if the insurance company didn't clarify that in writing - they may say it's ok when you just call them about it but if it resulted in a claim they may stick to the letter of the contract!

There is an open-air car park at Terminal 1 of Manchester airport where my daughter parked her Sprinter campervan (taller than a Cali) when she was collecting me, even though I flew into a different terminal. I don't know whether you can park there for a week though. They are quite helpful if you email them which is what we did as the parking info on their website was slightly contradictory.

Firstly thanks for all the responses, very much appreciated....

So, i bottled it at the last minute :(. Do i think it would fit - 80% confident, the decider for me was that if it didn't fit i would be stranded with nowhere to park the Cali and would miss the flight - i just couldn't take the chance. Although i must admit i was walking through the car park (borrowed a car of a friend) thinking it all looked very low, shame i didn't take a tape measure :)

Any calis/transporters in the carpark ?
That’s usually the confirmation you need.

Probably too late but I was in the terminal 2 multi storey at Manchester airport without a problem. MY18 with 19” wheels (not hat it matters because tyres are same outside diameter as 17”) and 30mm lowered springs.

I was cautious drinking through especially over the small speed bumps in the multi storey which scare the living daylights out of you while you are looking at the ceiling.

All good though.

I was cautious drinking through especially over the small speed bumps in the multi storey which scare the living daylights out of you while you are looking at the ceiling.

All good though.
Didn't want to spill it? :D

So, i bottled it at the last minute :(. Do i think it would fit - 80% confident, the decider for me was that if it didn't fit i would be stranded with nowhere to park the Cali and would miss the flight - i just couldn't take the chance. Although i must admit i was walking through the car park (borrowed a car of a friend) thinking it all looked very low, shame i didn't take a tape measure :)

Better safe than sorry!

For future reference (I looked it up as it may come in useful for my daughter) - the 'Jetparks' just outside the airport don't seem to have any height restriction, and there's a courtesy bus to the airport.

https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/parking/jetparks/

Last edited:
OK decided it was time to have a measure up for my own peace of mind.
Factory fitted awning which I can't make my mind up if it is as high or very slightly higher than the roof.
In the pic it looks higher but some of it is an illusion so I measured to the top of it anyway.

1.962m
Caveat that I tried hard to make this the tallest measurement, I sometimes got as low as 1.957m

IMG_5266.JPG

IMG_5272.JPG

Back