Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

small, quiet air pump for air mattress

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We have switched to using self-inflating air mattresses. They work well, but we would like to add a little bit of air to make it firmer and inflate quicker. We would also like to be able to deflate a little quicker and easier than by manually rolling and squeezing the air out as we currently do. We've seen the flextail tiny pump that seems to tick the boxes for us, but it does seem a little noisy. Can anyone confirm this? We want to arrive late / leave early somewhere and not wake everyone up around us.

Is there a small manual air pump maybe that someone can recommend? Or a quiet electric one? We don't want to use our lungs because that would introduce moisture into the mattress.

When we fist got our self inflating mattress, I was bit over the top on pumping it up. Now we don't add very much, especially if you can leave it for 10 minutes to fully self inflate, unfortunately my little usb outdoor revelution pump we got with the bed is noisy.

I would look at air awning pumps or kayak pumps if you want silent. You just need to get the end to the correct diameter for the bed.

We solved the deflation problem when we took our V6 Dyson with us to keep the van sand free on a beach weekend. I cut an end off one of the attachments I never use, it fits in the air bed perfectly. (Deflates very quickly). The small pump is hopeless at pulling all the air out.

Agreed. I wonder if anyone has specific recommendations for small, quiet, inflation and deflation.
Flextail Tiny Pump. Been using the mk1 version for years backpacking. They have a new v2 out which is even better, it was quiet enough for me wild camping in a tent so it should be fine in the van.

I think they offer discounts for buying direct but you can pick one up on Amazon. Bit more expensive than some of the generic ones but as I said mine has lasted years. As a bonus you get get a built in lantern too.

Flextail Tiny Pump. Been using the mk1 version for years backpacking. They have a new v2 out which is even better, it was quiet enough for me wild camping in a tent so it should be fine in the van.

I think they offer discounts for buying direct but you can pick one up on Amazon. Bit more expensive than some of the generic ones but as I said mine has lasted years. As a bonus you get get a built in lantern too.

We have the same one. Compared to an electric one for sure quiet.

It would be helpful if they published decibels in their adverts. Of course, I may have missed this.

The various you tube videos suggest that the flex tail is quite noisy, but I am aware that the perception of noise in a video is quite different to that in real life and I appreciate the van offers some insulation.

Last edited:
I use a 12v one from middle of lidl £10, sucks and blows

I use a 12v one from middle of lidl £10, sucks and blows
Both my linked pumps in #8 "blow and suck"; my main point is that the Flextail Gear 2024 is much quieter for anyone looking to buy. Perhaps there are others even quieter.

I did try a black USB rechargeable one in Lidl which was around £10, but it was as noisy as my Outdoor Revolution so I did not buy it. I also saw a 12v one in Lidl but it was bigger so did not suit me.

The Flextail Gear 2024 is very small and light which means it stays in place whilst pumping or extracting better than the Outdoor Revolution.

Last edited:
We also have a tiny rechargeable pump for exactly the purpose of forming up the mattress, and also deflating it fully to roll up smaller. It’s not quiet, although it needs only about 30 seconds to put more pressure in. Depending on the type of mattress it’s useful to have a screwed adaptor. The club shop sells them to fit the outdoor revolution self inflating mattress.

Thanks everyone , will go and have a look at your recommendations , I have a self inflating mattress but I find it so hard to roll up , glad to hear that I am not the only one that struggles with it.

Thanks everyone , will go and have a look at your recommendations , I have a self inflating mattress but I find it so hard to roll up , glad to hear that I am not the only one that struggles with it.
We have two 55cm singles. On collapsing we just let out about half the air by lying on them with the valve open, fold in half loosely and store on the multiflex. (We also have the zonesleep made up with a sheet to slide over the air mattresses).

We also bought that flextail pump. Not too noisy actually. A single charge lasts an age (our self inflating mats only need a slight top-up) and the light on the pump is excellent too.https://www.flextail.com/products/tiny-pump-2x

Last edited:
Just ordered a flextail pump . Thanks for the advice .
Great forum always nice to get advice before I spend my money .

Just ordered a flextail pump . Thanks for the advice .
Great forum always nice to get advice before I spend my money .
No buyers remorse for you. Good choice. We have 2 versions. Both are fine. If you use it inside the van (and close the doors) people won't notice. Sounds somewhat loud when you are next to it but as soon as you step outside of the van and have the doors closed you'll notice it's not too loud.

And if they do, it won’t be for long - surprisingly powerful!
I have three - one lives in the van permanently for the air mattress. I also have a smaller one for when wild camping and have just picked up the Max Pump 3 which despite being tiny and light will pump up my pack raft in about 3-4 minutes and do it about 6-8 times.

I did have a cheap no brand one in the van but it failed after 6 months.

I have three - one lives in the van permanently for the air mattress. I also have a smaller one for when wild camping and have just picked up the Max Pump 3 which despite being tiny and light will pump up my pack raft in about 3-4 minutes and do it about 6-8 times.

I did have a cheap no brand one in the van but it failed after 6 months.
You must have shares!

No....just a poor memory...... can't remember where he put the one so he has three
Not far wrong, my memory is pretty bad these days, if I didn’t have one in the van, in my backpack and in my paddling kit ready to go I would definitely forget it when I actually needed it! There is a military saying “one is none and two is one”

Not far wrong, my memory is pretty bad these days, if I didn’t have one in the van, in my backpack and in my paddling kit ready to go I would definitely forget it when I actually needed it! There is a military saying “one is none and two is one”
And any fool can be uncomfortable.

Back