Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

small, quiet air pump for air mattress

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have switched to using self-inflating air mattresses. They work well, but we would like to add a little bit of air to make it firmer and inflate quicker. We would also like to be able to deflate a little quicker and easier than by manually rolling and squeezing the air out as we currently do. We've seen the flextail tiny pump that seems to tick the boxes for us, but it does seem a little noisy. Can anyone confirm this? We want to arrive late / leave early somewhere and not wake everyone up around us.

Is there a small manual air pump maybe that someone can recommend? Or a quiet electric one? We don't want to use our lungs because that would introduce moisture into the mattress.

When we fist got our self inflating mattress, I was bit over the top on pumping it up. Now we don't add very much, especially if you can leave it for 10 minutes to fully self inflate, unfortunately my little usb outdoor revelution pump we got with the bed is noisy.

I would look at air awning pumps or kayak pumps if you want silent. You just need to get the end to the correct diameter for the bed.

We solved the deflation problem when we took our V6 Dyson with us to keep the van sand free on a beach weekend. I cut an end off one of the attachments I never use, it fits in the air bed perfectly. (Deflates very quickly). The small pump is hopeless at pulling all the air out.

Agreed. I wonder if anyone has specific recommendations for small, quiet, inflation and deflation.
Flextail Tiny Pump. Been using the mk1 version for years backpacking. They have a new v2 out which is even better, it was quiet enough for me wild camping in a tent so it should be fine in the van.

I think they offer discounts for buying direct but you can pick one up on Amazon. Bit more expensive than some of the generic ones but as I said mine has lasted years. As a bonus you get get a built in lantern too.

Flextail Tiny Pump. Been using the mk1 version for years backpacking. They have a new v2 out which is even better, it was quiet enough for me wild camping in a tent so it should be fine in the van.

I think they offer discounts for buying direct but you can pick one up on Amazon. Bit more expensive than some of the generic ones but as I said mine has lasted years. As a bonus you get get a built in lantern too.

We have the same one. Compared to an electric one for sure quiet.

It would be helpful if they published decibels in their adverts. Of course, I may have missed this.

The various you tube videos suggest that the flex tail is quite noisy, but I am aware that the perception of noise in a video is quite different to that in real life and I appreciate the van offers some insulation.

Back