Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Smeary windscreen

Whilst on windscreens, how do members keep the inside of their windscreen clean. No matter how I clean it or with what ever, when I drive into the sun it always looks a right mess.

I don't think that I'm going off topic but apologies to all if you feel I am.
Borris, Window cleaning liquid on a Blue industrial tissue and wipe clean. Do not spray. You need to do it at least once a month. Also avoid using any chemical on the dashboard as that gives off gases/chemicals that can then stick to the inside and smear as well.

hi
Our new cali is fine in the dry but in rainy weather the wipers seem to just smear the water, it only clears once the rain stops and the water dries. Makes driving in the rain difficult. Is this a common problem? Was something left on the screen by the dealership? Any ideas please?
Thanks!
Hi,

There's nothing like mixra for removing oil and grease and road grime from the windscreen. I've been using it for years. The beauty of it is you never have to touch the windscreen. Just spray it on when the windscreen is wet, leave for 1 min and then turn on your wipers. Really handy for using quickly on the side of the road on a bad night.

Regards,
Mark

Screenshot_20221114-092940.png

Borris, Window cleaning liquid on a Blue industrial tissue and wipe clean. Do not spray. You need to do it at least once a month. Also avoid using any chemical on the dashboard as that gives off gases/chemicals that can then stick to the inside and smear as well.
Question?
What exactly do you mean by " Blue Industrial Tissue ". Any example or link?

Question?
What exactly do you mean by " Blue Industrial Tissue ". Any example or link?
Commonly referred to as 'Blue Roll'. Essential stuff. Useful for 1001 things.

Loads of different types, hopefully this ebay link will work.

screwfix link

Last edited:
Household washing up liquid works well on windows.
Follow up with any glass cleaner, i.e autoglym fast glass or windowlene using blue roll/kitchen roll.
Most glass cleaners are made of the same thing anyway i.e. IPA (isopropanol)

Don't forget to clean your wiper blades.

I'll give it a go although I'm not getting my hopes up.

I've spent hours in the past doing what I thought was a thorough clean, only to find that all i've actually acheived is another different smeary pattern. I've tried all sorts of products and techniques but the same thing keeps occurring. Yes, it often looks crystal clear when finished but as soon as you drive towards brighter light it shows every smear and smudge.

I've spent hours in the past doing what I thought was a thorough clean, only to find that all i've actually acheived is another different smeary pattern.
I used to do that too, but now, with a bit of lateral thinking I can accept that as long as I can see through it safely, I've got better things to do.

Back