Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen marks

ArcticMatt

ArcticMatt

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Has anyone come across this odd type of "Leopard print" markings on the windscreen? I thought my wipers were on the way out in heavy rain the other day but the smearing seems to be these marks on the glass. I've tried washing up liquid and spirit but they don't work. Any ideas anyone?
903b42b631bdd8db12d8b5c8079fdf1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Has anyone come across this odd type of "Leopard print" markings on the windscreen? I thought my wipers were on the way out in heavy rain the other day but the smearing seems to be these marks on the glass. I've tried washing up liquid and spirit but they don't work. Any ideas anyone?
903b42b631bdd8db12d8b5c8079fdf1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Watermark/staining of the glass due to water impurities drying over time.

Use White Vinegar 50% solution.

http://www.autoglassrescue.com/how-to-get-water-spots-off-your-windshield-or-window?no_redirect=true

Hi I had a new screen fitted about 8years ago and where it was written on you can still see it in some lights. Tried everything to get it of with no success.

I agree with the other posts. They are almost certainly dried on water impurities.
Do you live in a hard water area? If you do, the marks could be calcium deposits.

I have a black Cali and the hard water in the South East, where I live, leaves similar marks if you don't use a micro fibre cloth to dry it off straight away. It also leaves similar marks on the glass.

To avoid getting these marks it's best not to wash your car in bright sunlight. Much better to do it on a dull day or better still when it's raining. Towel off any water rather than letting it dry on the paint or glass. I have tried using an inline water softener on the hose but IMO they are expensive and don't last that long before they need replacement. The results are quite good though.

One other thought. I don't hand wash my vehicles every week and because I live in the country they can get pretty filthy very quickly especially during the winter months. I therefore take my car to a local jet wash each week to blast off the worst of the mud. Whilst I only ever use the jet rinse function, the same lance can be used for foam, wax and wheel cleaning. I have noticed marks like those that you mention after using this facility. They could be the residue from the chemicals used in the other functions or from what ever you use to wash your vehicle.

Back