Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Smell from rear aircon vents

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I Have been trying to find out where a unpleasant smell is coming form when under certain circumstances

I think it's the rear A?C unit on the T6 California. I have a few questions

I think the air in take is at the back under the parcel shelf .. is that correct ?. Is it a self contained unit ? does any air come from the engine compartment or is all the air intake from the back area through the vent there ?

I ask as it seems to get worse on only heating. If it's cool A/C there is little or no smell.

I Have been trying to find out where a unpleasant smell is coming form when under certain circumstances

I think it's the rear A?C unit on the T6 California. I have a few questions

I think the air in take is at the back under the parcel shelf .. is that correct ?. Is it a self contained unit ? does any air come from the engine compartment or is all the air intake from the back area through the vent there ?

I ask as it seems to get worse on only heating. If it's cool A/C there is little or no smell.
Yes, it just re-circulates air in the rear. Only the front system takes in fresh air or re-circulates.
Use something like this.

Thank you, I will try that, just a question on heating .. with hot and cold setting, do they use separate pipes or chambers, trying to understand if I need to use the sanitiser on different settings if so, to make sure all the unit is cleaned. I ask as its seems to be only when the heat is coming out rather than cool, on a hot day no smell on cold day it smells

Does this apply to the front unit as well

Last edited:
Thank you, I will try that, just a question on heating .. with hot and cold setting, do they use separate pipes or chambers, trying to understand if I need to use the sanitiser on different settings if so, to make sure all the unit is cleaned. I ask as its seems to be only when the heat is coming out rather than cool, on a hot day no smell on cold day it smells

Does this apply to the front unit as well
2 separate units. Each has its own heat exchanger , so each would need treatment. You might get away with 1 aerosol starting at rear and moving to front, or get 2 cheaper aerosols. Most parts places sell the equivalent eg: Halfords.
Engine has to be running , front and rear systems running on high fan speed and front set on re-circulation with aerosol in front passenger footwell RHD.

Thank you, so does the heat exchanger do both hot and cols, or do I need to have the sanitiser go through on a hot setting then on a cold setting ? I ask as I seem to only have this issue on a hot setting

Thank you, so does the heat exchanger do both hot and cols, or do I need to have the sanitiser go through on a hot setting then on a cold setting ? I ask as I seem to only have this issue on a hot setting
The air taken in goes through the AirCon heat exchanger is cooled during which process it is dried ( cold air carries less moisture ) and then through the engine coolant heat exchanger to be warmed to the required temperature. So it doesn’t matter what the heat setting is as the air goes through both.

thank you, sorry for all these questions it very helpful to get these explanations, what is the process for the back unit ?

thank you, sorry for all these questions it very helpful to get these explanations, what is the process for the back unit ?
Just direct the aerosol at the intake grill with the rear fan on full.

Just a note. When replying to a post use the Reply button, bottom R.

That way the member you are replying to gets a Notification, otherwise the only way they may see your a reply is if they keep checking the thread.

That way the member you are replying to gets a Notification, otherwise the only way they may see your a reply is if they keep checking the thread.
My California Beach has a musty smell. I finally worked out it’s coming from the rear rear cabin vent fan duct. It looks like the air conditioner acts as a condenser and the rear fan duct collects moisture. I turned the rear fan off and the musty smell stopped.

I took the vent cover off near the rear passenger seat on the drivers side and found mould in the vent. I’m going to take the whole rear vent ducting apart and make sure it’s completely cleaned from the intake near the tailgate to the outlet near the rear sliding door.

A spray can is not going to cut it on my van unfortunately.

My California Beach has a musty smell. I finally worked out it’s coming from the rear rear cabin vent fan duct. It looks like the air conditioner acts as a condenser and the rear fan duct collects moisture. I turned the rear fan off and the musty smell stopped.

I took the vent cover off near the rear passenger seat on the drivers side and found mould in the vent. I’m going to take the whole rear vent ducting apart and make sure it’s completely cleaned from the intake near the tailgate to the outlet near the rear sliding door.

A spray can is not going to cut it on my van unfortunately.
I have come to the same conclusion, the smell is bacterial though in ours, I was wondering about taking it apart as well, but have no idea how, do it. If you do take it apart would you consider doing a step by step as you do it and then post it ?

Hello @WelshGas I wonder if you, and others, take a precautionary approach treating your air con at regular intervals, and if so how often?

We once bought an elderly second hand car that had this problem bad and we never beat it; but, conversely, we also had a newish Golf which was treated (unnecessarily, and without being asked) as part of a regular service by VW with a pungent 'cherry blossom' smell which took months to fade, so that we now ask our dealer to do no perfumed air conditioner treatments (though recharging if required).

I understand that, front and back, the fans should, in turn, be on full blow, but specific heat or cool settings are not necessary. Also that the intake at the front is in the passenger (on RHD cars) footwell, but I am not sure which is the rear intake(s).

Hello @WelshGas I wonder if you, and others, take a precautionary approach treating your air con at regular intervals, and if so how often?

We once bought an elderly second hand car that had this problem bad and we never beat it; but, conversely, we also had a newish Golf which was treated (unnecessarily, and without being asked) as part of a regular service by VW with a pungent 'cherry blossom' smell which took months to fade, so that we now ask our dealer to do no perfumed air conditioner treatments (though recharging if required).

I understand that, front and back, the fans should, in turn, be on full blow, but specific heat or cool settings are not necessary. Also that the intake at the front is in the passenger (on RHD cars) footwell, but I am not sure which is the rear intake(s).
Open tailgate. Look R louvred panel is air intake.
I haven't switched off the AirCon since picking the van up in 2014. AirCon recharge every 3 yrs.

Open tailgate. Look R louvred panel is air intake.
I haven't switched off the AirCon since picking the van up in 2014. AirCon recharge every 3 yrs.

Thank you @WelshGas. Like you, I never switch it off (understanding that the static air creates the problem). Do I take it that, other than excluding triennial AirCon recharge, you do nothing else, i.e. no precautionary spraying with sanitizer?

Thank you @WelshGas. Like you, I never switch it off (understanding that the static air creates the problem). Do I take it that, other than excluding triennial AirCon recharge, you do nothing else, i.e. no precautionary spraying with sanitizer?
I think it was a freebie first time they did the AirCon, not done since.

I think it was a freebie first time they did the AirCon, not done since.

Thanks, @WelshGas.

Well given your extensive travels and mileage, I think I will follow your example and do nothing preventive - other than always leave air-con on.

Last edited: