Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SMG Cowfold - losing the Midas touch?

5i1ver8ack

5i1ver8ack

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Has anyone had any recent experience - good or bad - from SMG Cowfold? I'll wait to see how an unsatisfactory matter is resolved before posting any photographs. So far, based on yesterday’s experience, they score 0/10. My California has come away with more damage than it went in for.

EDIT
Mods..... if this post is still up for approval, here are the photographs which you can edit out if you want to..
Oily shoes
Dirty fingers
Ill cut and ill fitting sedal
Damage to existing trim
These are after the "repair" had been made. The roof tium around the light is altoegther new dmage, as are the screwdriver indents into the existing trim.

IMG-20230524-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20230524-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20230524-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20230524-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20230524-WA0014.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-24 at 17.54.51.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-25 at 09.02.05.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-24 at 18.20.47.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-24 at 17.55.46.jpg

Last edited:
That’s very disappointing. I’m not sure if you’re already, but the seal shouldn’t be cut at all. I wasn’t sure so went and checked our Cali. The seal should be ‘bonded’ at the point you’ve photographed.

Here is a photo of ours in the same place (original seal), where you can see it is bonded together without any gaps.

8BECF8E7-0E47-4E86-92A4-2A396491456F.jpeg

That is shocking. Absolutely no care was taken, probably indicating the shop grease monkey was asked to do the work. I hope you didn't accept it back in that condition. Keep us posted.

They did some work for me 4yrs ago. This included lowering springs / cambelt and water pump / tape recall to the roof / sportline front valance.

The outcome was it subsequently failed its MOT on a bent drop link. It was bent out which is not possible to damage in normal use. I had to reset the front valance and reseal. Missing and broken fixings. It also had gaps and it was set too low causing issues with the front parking sensors. The tape recall wasn't done but apparently that was my issue as I had signed the warranty form, that they asked me to sign, for the works.

Having had the cambelt and waterpump changed recently it seems that there was a small leak on the water pump

FFS, Sorry to hear your woes, it looks like your van has been subject of a scrap heap challenge scavenge.

looks like the dealer will be providing lots of new parts ?

let’s us know how you get on

That’s very disappointing. I’m not sure if you’re already, but the seal shouldn’t be cut at all. I wasn’t sure so went and checked our Cali. The seal should be ‘bonded’ at the point you’ve photographed.

Here is a photo of ours in the same place (original seal), where you can see it is bonded together without any gaps.

View attachment 108982
Thank you - that's a very helpful photo!!

FFS, Sorry to hear your woes, it looks like your van has been subject of a scrap heap challenge scavenge.

looks like the dealer will be providing lots of new parts ?

let’s us know how you get on
Yes, I'll keep you updated.

They did some work for me 4yrs ago. This included lowering springs / cambelt and water pump / tape recall to the roof / sportline front valance.

The outcome was it subsequently failed its MOT on a bent drop link. It was bent out which is not possible to damage in normal use. I had to reset the front valance and reseal. Missing and broken fixings. It also had gaps and it was set too low causing issues with the front parking sensors. The tape recall wasn't done but apparently that was my issue as I had signed the warranty form, that they asked me to sign, for the works.

Having had the cambelt and waterpump changed recently it seems that there was a small leak on the water pump
Until yesterday, I've previously found them to be very good - which is why I drove out of my way to use them. I donlt know about losing the Midas touch - losing the plot more like!

That is shocking. Absolutely no care was taken, probably indicating the shop grease monkey was asked to do the work. I hope you didn't accept it back in that condition. Keep us posted.
I've accepted it with caveats - work to be remedied! Only because we're away from tomorrow for a week.

I have used them since 2008.
They have had a big staff change over in the last 12 months, new service manager x 3, Steve Mann who was the parts manager since before 2008 has left.
Never had a problem with them in service until last year when the Cali had its service as part of the all in one plan. 700 miles later I had to refill the washer fluid and found the dip stick poking up and the engine bay covered in oil. I called out Vag assist and they were certain it was the mechanics fault and not an engine problem, 10k miles later and never happened again.

Due to renew the all in one plan again in July but unsure which dealer to use, pain as they are only 30 mins away from me.

I am so sorry to see that.

Is Jason still there? Someone needs sorting. Totally unacceptable and so disappointing to see that from one of the few dealers who had a reputation for caring.

Has anyone had any recent experience - good or bad - from SMG Cowfold? I'll wait to see how an unsatisfactory matter is resolved before posting any photographs. So far, based on yesterday’s experience, they score 0/10. My California has come away with more damage than it went in for.

EDIT
Mods..... if this post is still up for approval, here are the photographs which you can edit out if you want to..
Oily shoes
Dirty fingers
Damage to existing trim
These are after the "repair" had been made. The roof tium around the light is altoegther new dmage, as are the screwdriver indents into the existing trim.

View attachment 108968

View attachment 108971

View attachment 108973

View attachment 108974

View attachment 108976

View attachment 108977

View attachment 108978

View attachment 108980

View attachment 108981

This is absolutely savage…
Sorry to see this @5i1ver8ack , I would put serious pressure on the dealer to correct and ensure whoever undertook this work, doesn’t do any more for the dealer.
That really is shocking…

I am so sorry to see that.

Is Jason still there? Someone needs sorting. Totally unacceptable and so disappointing to see that from one of the few dealers who had a reputation for caring.
No Jen, sadly he has gone to an independent. 2 more since him, the new guy seems to be under an awful lot of pressure.

What the f... were they trying to fix?

What was the actual repair job you were booked in for them to undertake.

I went to them because I thought they were good (reviews on here) and I had a reasonable amount of work to have done. I also wanted the front spoiler installed correctly and again reviews on here implied that they did a good job.

However you dont expect to remove your number plate after having the valance installed (as it was sagging) to expect to see a missing fixing and a broken fixing (no head) holding the centre of the valance up. That's will be why its sagging then, its not fixed in the middle

Even Breeze who replaced the drop rod (did the MOT) said it was bent by garage who carried out the work on the front suspension due to the direction of the bend. SMG's response was farcical saying it could have been pot hold damage.

But the icing on the cake was the lie about carrying out the tape repair to the roof when they clearly didn't. Breeze again picked this up as the recall hadn't been logged on the VW system. SMG argued that as I signed the warranty paperwork (they asked me to sign) the issue of the missing seal rested with me. Farcical.

What the f... were they trying to fix?
My teenage daughter bashed her head (hard) on the top of the sliding door trim, damaging the blind and the surrounding upper trim. The door seal had also come away. So sundry bits of trim, the blind and the seal. The big damage to the big piece of trim around the internal lamp was done by the fitter, together with all the screwdriver gouges and other damage.

Two more photos as of this morning.

Coming away.jpg

Creased and broken.jpg

What was the actual repair job you were booked in for them to undertake.

Photos of original damage (caused by my daughter).....

The door seal wouldn't stay in place; the blind wouldn't retract fully; the trim piece had come away.

No daughters were damged (much) in the making of this photoshoot.

IMG_3136.jpgIMG_3138.jpgIMG_3139.jpgIMG_3141.jpgIMG_3142.jpgIMG_3143.jpgIMG_3145.jpgIMG_3146.jpg

Easily done. The blind extends down a cm or so and I have headbutted it on several occasions. And I'm only 5'7".

EDIT
Oily shoes
Dirty fingers
Damage to existing trim

View attachment 108968

View attachment 108971

View attachment 108973

View attachment 108974

View attachment 108976

View attachment 108977

View attachment 108978

View attachment 108980

View attachment 108981
I used to use them but was never really happy that they were that bothered with looking after my California. Little things like leaving used blue hand towels on the dash, leaving black tape on side window when that was replaced to fix leak (they initially said it was a kitchen out job!) etc etc. Never felt comfortable trying to squeeze into the “yard” with lots of scope for dings.

Because of this thread and my previous issue last year I asked my local garage that look after 5 other cars in the household for a quote on cambelt and water pump change. Vw were £770, local garage were £550 using genuine parts.
Guess who I booked in with !

People often seem to think the warranties are good value but surely when the service is this bad I can’t see why anyone would lock themselves into work by VW van centres.
I presume most people haven’t actually had to get work done. So for 5 or so years it’s seems great but the minute you need them to fix something you’re in a lottery situation. So many stories of vans with serious damage.
I’ve always thought all the various roof tape/replacement cowl fixes look terrible.

I love both my VWs, but VW will never see them again.

Back