Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Smoking T4...

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Morning all...
Just wanted to get the opinion on how much smoke out the exhaust is 'acceptable' for a 2000MY T4...
We get a puff or so when its started from cold and if you don't floor it then you don't see it, but if you do put pedal to the metal (to overtake or downshift to get up somewhere steep), then we get some white smoke out the back (engine hot or cold)... Don't get me wrong, its not like a fog behind, but definitely visible in the headlights of cars behind...
Like i say, driven carefully, not too high revs, then nothing noticeable... Just slightly concerned on the visible smoke when pushing it into the high revs...

Is this 'normal' behavior (the van, not my worrying :D)?

Cheers!

Mine is as you describe when cold. I'd be interested to hear if you get continue to get smoke when warm AFTER a hard run. Any I see when warm feels like it's just a temporary clear out of muck accumulated under very low loads.
Reading your post again, I'm thinking any smoke from mine looks sooty rather than white.

Mine is as you describe when cold. I'd be interested to hear if you get continue to get smoke when warm AFTER a hard run. Any I see when warm feels like it's just a temporary clear out of muck accumulated under very low loads.
Reading your post again, I'm thinking any smoke from mine looks sooty rather than white.

It really does seem to be (apart from the initial cold start), only under high revs, warm or cold... And I don't get the impression its sooty, more white...

Take it for a decent run - 20 miles - then stand by the exhaust and get someone to boot it a few times - see what comes out then.

' No smoke, no poke!' I'd be surprised to see a 15 to 30 year old diesel that didn't smoke a bit. Unless it's laying down a smokescreen to following drivers I wouldn't worry too much.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mine leaves s bit of smoke leaving roundabouts etc when I get back on the gas.
It uses no oil between services.
I think you have a perfectly normal healthy unit.

Mine leaves s bit of smoke leaving roundabouts etc when I get back on the gas.
It uses no oil between services.
I think you have a perfectly normal healthy unit.

That's what I wanted to hear :thumb:D

Mine also huffs a bit on cold start up and when you boot it but not a massive cloud of smoke!
It does however need topping up with oil fairly regular especially after a long journey, I'm assuming this is due to worn piston rings?

Back