Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Snowboard packing tip (OCEAN)

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Apologies if someone’s already pointed this out.

I know there’s a space down the left of the rear bench but MY BOARD IS TOO WIDE to fit in there so it’s where my wife’s skis go. It’s been a bit of a faff fitting my and my son”s boards inside diagonally.

I bought the low profile roof bar feet and they’re great, BUT, the garage where I stay is officially 2m clearance. I’m lowered but by the time I’ve added my Yakima board rack (FatCat6) with the lowest profile T-track mounts I’m still going to be a bit of a chancer.

Long story not so short is that you can slide your boards under the drawer, just enough clearance. Here’s a 154 - I had to move the bench forwards a little but not much. Hopefully it helps others with the same conundrum. Skis should also go in backwards if the need arises. (side by side). Bindings in a duffle bag.

It’s much easier if you remove the toolkit first but you don’t have to.
You can also remove the drawer too but I’d have to find somewhere else to put the stuff that’s in it. I’m going to get a neoprene sleeve to protect the interior - the marks on the floor are just wax.

a08ec602679bd8455163e8a5b618e4a2.jpg

a45a67a18e7048852af26986d3d7c4df.jpg

c51fa939738bbd5ec55fad33e0bede70.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I typically just place them, with the bindings mounted, on the floor between the front seats. I use Decathlon snowboard "socks" to protect everything from the board's edges. Yours is a pretty good idea that I wouldn't have thought of, especially for longer trips (which I normally don't have).

I typically just place them, with the bindings mounted, on the floor between the front seats. I use Decathlon snowboard "socks" to protect everything from the board's edges. Yours is a pretty good idea that I wouldn't have thought of, especially for longer trips (which I normally don't have).

I didn’t think of between the front seats but we travel with the kids and the boards could become pretty lethal in a shunt if they weren’t secured. It’s a longish trip for us so taking the bindings off isn’t too inconvenient. Will take a look at the decathlon board socks though - thanks!

I didn’t think of between the front seats but we travel with the kids and the boards could become pretty lethal in a shunt if they weren’t secured. It’s a longish trip for us so taking the bindings off isn’t too inconvenient. Will take a look at the decathlon board socks though - thanks!

Would they fit on edge across the rearmost part of the boot, I fit a fiamma awning rafter across there there's an inch or two of clearance between boot chair holder & the bottom of the wardrobe under the shower connection when the boot lid is shut.

We have also been known to keep the rear cupboard door open with the shelves removed to give a full width space above the back of the bed.

It's amazing what you can fit if you really try.

Thanks - Good question and something else for me to try. Never thought of leaving the cupboard open! My board is a bit of a fattie though so may be a struggle. Will report back!

Thanks - Good question and something else for me to try. Never thought of leaving the cupboard open! My board is a bit of a fattie though so may be a struggle. Will report back!

Theres also across the van immediately behind the front seats if stored on edge. Just a trip hazard if using the walkthrough.

Where are you going snowboarding? Are you staying in the van?

Where are you going snowboarding? Are you staying in the van?

Good grief no . Love the van, love camping. Also love a hot bath and creature comforts after a day riding.

I’d probably try it solo or 2 up for maybe a weekend but I just don’t think the murder rate would be acceptable with 4 of us in the van and a load of wet gear.

We always go to Sainte Foy Tarentaise in France. If you haven’t been, it’s worth a visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good grief no . Love the van, love camping. Also love a hot bath and creature comforts after a day riding.

I’d probably try it solo or 2 up for maybe a weekend but I just don’t think the murder rate would be acceptable with 4 of us in the van and a load of wet gear.

We always go to Sainte Foy Tarentaise in France. If you haven’t been, it’s worth a visit.

Ha I understand!

I normally go to porters du soleil and stay in chatel each year. Going there in March.

but looking for a smaller area where we can go as a family just before Easter. Kids are 7 and 3 so would like to find some green and blues for my 7 year old to go down.

will take a look at where you are going...

we also head up to Scotland when we can, though shame about the funicular at cairngorm which look like it might be out of action.

Sainte Foy Tarentaise looks like it might be perfect. do you have any recommendation for accommodation please?

Sainte Foy Tarentaise looks like it might be perfect. do you have any recommendation for accommodation please?

Sorry for the late reply.
Yes - the tourist office website has some accommodation https://www.saintefoy-tarentaise.com/en/

Club MMV Étoilé de Cimes & Le Fermes du Santé Foy buildings all close to the pistes.

If you’re looking on Air B&B or other sites just make sure the accommodation is in Sainte Foy STATION (NOT Village) if you want to be in the resort itself.

There are often some good ski pass deals later in the season and Black Friday too but children aged 7 & under ski free which helps.

We use ESF for lessons but Twinn Peaks are great too. (There are other schools and they’re all pretty decent tbh)

I recommend the Pisten Bully Ride along - it’s epic - I booked it purely for the kids, of course

If you need any more info on any of it DM me and I can send links etc. Have been going for 20 years and it’s my favourite place, but for the children - it’s AMAZING.

If you have a bike rack this is the best solution I've found to transport ski equipment.

20230119_210744.jpg

Back