Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

surfboard storage in california

J

jonathanweaver

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hey Guys,

I have seen my dream California. Low kms ready to go.
I have two kids and a wife and really want to be able to travel with all of us and two boards in the vw whilst driving.
questions
1) possible to remove the drawer under the rear bench and then slide a board under there?
2) with rear seats back, could you get a board between that rear bench and up through the middle?
Thanks so so much!!!

Jon

boards on the roof, job done.. taking the drawer out is a 2 minute job (unless anything has changed since my 2008 model) and you could in theory get a board in there if you take the toolkit out but I have never tried it. They will always fit on the roof!

boards on the roof, job done.. taking the drawer out is a 2 minute job (unless anything has changed since my 2008 model) and you could in theory get a board in there if you take the toolkit out but I have never tried it. They will always fit on the roof!
ah thanks man. yeah basically just wanna make sure if travelling with the family, that I can have boards in the vehicle instead of on the roof.

2) Yes, if your board isn't longer than 6'6 and you only have one. We did a 4k km trip like that and it worked fine although it is an extra hassle to get it in and out and you lose easy access to the drawers and cupboards.

2) Yes, if your board isn't longer than 6'6 and you only have one. We did a 4k km trip like that and it worked fine although it is an extra hassle to get it in and out and you lose easy access to the drawers and cupboards.
ah so you removed the drawer underneath easy enough?

I have found the lower profile roof bars and the boards on the roof work well without adding much height and don't seem to alter the fuel consumption or noise levels either.
If you need to transport 4 people plus boards inside then you might find one of these works better for you.

Hey Guys,

I have seen my dream California. Low kms ready to go.
I have two kids and a wife and really want to be able to travel with all of us and two boards in the vw whilst driving.
questions
1) possible to remove the drawer under the rear bench and then slide a board under there?
2) with rear seats back, could you get a board between that rear bench and up through the middle?
Thanks so so much!!!

Jon
Put them on the roof with lockable straps.

Having them inside will restrict your use of the kitchen etc and likely to be stepped on by kids etc; Also more likely to put them under the van , until the day you pull away and realise you have accidentally driven over them (see photo -Tyre tracks courtesy of twin wheel base motor home!):

F6492BEA-D836-4E91-994F-7687F3B26697.jpeg

Just make the downstairs bed. You will fit them in the van then easy

That is the reason why i ordered a Beach Camper and not a Coast,to be able to travel with my longboards and 4 persons inside,i really dislike roof racks. The 4 seater Beach Camper is perfect to carry boards

This seems to work out ok. 3 of us going to France to surf this summer, at least we’ll always have one board in case we pull up to a perfect evening swell and the local rent shop has closed for the day.
CCFA3CC7-C61E-4201-93E5-ED2807AA0073.jpeg

I took out the toolkit (2 thumb nuts) and the drawer (2 screws) the other day to try and get a surfboard (well, technically a surf rescue board) inside and out of the way.

It did work but there is actually surprisingly little height in the gap exposed - there are 2 metal plates that stick out from the seat belt reels that obstruct things mightily.

This is the view from the rear looking under the rear set towards the front. Note that you have to tape up the slide rails on each side to stop them banging around

20230707_172914.jpg

Back