Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So we can wild camp now ?

Those are all statutory maximum fines set in Australia, and whatever messages you feel those levels may be signalling, it's worth being aware that they are not the fine levels that are actually being issued, from what I've seen.

The UK situation is probably or more interest to most of us. Here, for being away from home 'without reasonable excuse' under the coronavirus regs, the police can issue fixed penalties of £100 for a first offence. But if the case goes to court the fine that could theoretically be awarded is actually unlimited.

But, as in Australia, maximum theoretical fine levels won't reflect actual sentencing practice in the vast majority of cases. There are no codified sentencing guidelines out yet for the coronavirus regs offences, but a court might well assess the level of seriousness in part by looking at existing guidelines for other public order-type offences.

Regarding spitting at a health care worker or a police officer, I can tell you that the UK courts take any assault on an emergency worker particularly seriously in practically all circumstances. And if done in the context of the Covid-19 health threat, extremely seriously and could well result in an immediate custodial sentence of up to six months, as has been seen in at least a couple of recent cases that I've seen reported.
I take your point about how they are actually applied, but presumably the legislators set the maximum fines for each offence, and the level of maximum fine is, I would imagine, linked to the level of seriousness perceived by said legislators. It just seems to me that the act of spitting at a Health Care Worker/Police Officer is a deliberate act that might well endanger someones life (there are cases of Rail Workers dying from Covid-19 having been spat at by an infected person in the UK). Going outside without valid reason (with the validity to be determined by someone else) against a backdrop of very confused messaging around these things, seems to me to be a much lower level of transgression, yet the maximum fine, in Australia at least, is more than twice that of the first offence. It just made me wonder where the logic is!

I take your point about how they are actually applied, but presumably the legislators set the maximum fines for each offence, and the level of maximum fine is, I would imagine, linked to the level of seriousness perceived by said legislators. It just seems to me that the act of spitting at a Health Care Worker/Police Officer is a deliberate act that might well endanger someones life (there are cases of Rail Workers dying from Covid-19 having been spat at by an infected person in the UK). Going outside without valid reason (with the validity to be determined by someone else) against a backdrop of very confused messaging around these things, seems to me to be a much lower level of transgression, yet the maximum fine, in Australia at least, is more than twice that of the first offence. It just made me wonder where the logic is!

I wouldn't disagree with any of that and I've no idea how the Aussies have set up their legislation and the maximum penalties for offences. You'd have to ask the Australian government.

In the UK however, the Assaults on Emergency Workers Act specifies a maximum penalty of one year custody and cases can be sent to the Crown court if the circumstances are serious enough. Whereas breaching the coronavirus regs (being away from home etc etc) can only be heard in a magistrates' court, and the penalty can only be a fine.

Actual sentencing practice reflects this. I am confident as a generality (I am a magistrate so I have a lot of sentencing experience although I'm not going to comment on any specific case) that the courts will treat an assault - including by spitting - as inherently much more serious than an offence of being away from home without an excuse. Indeed, for the lesser offence, if you accept a police fixed penalty you will 'only' pay £100 (assuming a first offence). By contrast, the sentencing guidelines for an assault on an emergency worker, if of 'medium' seriousness, would carry a starting point of a community order, and you certainly could be sent to prison.

Please do not treat any of this as legal advice!

I think we all know camping is not allowed yet, whilst govt guidelines are very slightly vague, they are clear enough to state that we are just allowed out a bit more and can drive further, not camp, not stay overnight etc... anything else we read in to it is pure hope. I must admit, I share this hope.. I’m dying to get out and tbh I don’t see the issue with wild camping at all as long as you socially distanced and self sufficient. However, unfortunately the govt doesn’t give a **** what I think, so if you camp you are breaking the rules, liable to get fined.. so you do so at own risk ... as with most things, it’s really up to you.

Hence why I wont be going back I will send my £ and € elsewhere
Tbh Covid just seems like another reason for many of the Cornish Ilk to hate the rest of the country and bemoan any who dares set foot down there. Sort of makes me just want to go there more.

We popped out in our Cali for a walk and a cuppa in the van. Put the roof up just after midday. Within an hour Policeman politely tapping on the window asking if we were local.
Just explained we were very local and off home in a few hours. No Problem.
Even if the Police do not see you. There are plenty who will report you if you are in their neighbourhood.
I am fine with that its better than making a mistake and vandalising your Cali.
Police were very courteous and said we were doing the right thing. They can easily check your rego number and see where you live anyway.
So we have no complaints and good to see them checking people are doing the right thing.

We popped out in our Cali for a walk and a cuppa in the van. Put the roof up just after midday. Within an hour Policeman politely tapping on the window asking if we were local.
Just explained we were very local and off home in a few hours. No Problem.
Even if the Police do not see you. There are plenty who will report you if you are in their neighbourhood.
I am fine with that its better than making a mistake and vandalising your Cali.
Police were very courteous and said we were doing the right thing. They can easily check your rego number and see where you live anyway.
So we have no complaints and good to see them checking people are doing the right thing.

and to me, this is how it should be done. Keep it local, low key and sensible. No dallying off for a 2 hours+ drive to the coast or touristy rural attraction or oot similar. Tis definitely my take on the current guidelines.

A “travellers“ site has appeared near to Laira bridge in Plymouth. The council have provided bins, a water bowser and portable toilets for them. Lovely greenfield site next to the river. Try wild camping and I bet you won’t get treated like that.

A “travellers“ site has appeared near to Laira bridge in Plymouth. The council have provided bins, a water bowser and portable toilets for them. Lovely greenfield site next to the river. Try wild camping and I bet you won’t get treated like that.
Where would you recommend people without a house go?

We too had a drive out to give Cali and us a run ..15 miles to nature reserve..picnic in bus..walk round lake and then home
that's how twill be for us for quite a while yet...just glad to be able to go out in the bus..

i was merely highlighting the injustice in the fact that Councils etc would not tolerate a California owner being parked up for a period of time in a safe and responsible manner.

i was merely highlighting the injustice in the fact that Councils etc would not tolerate a California owner being parked up for a period of time in a safe and responsible manner.
The chances are the Cali owner has a home to go home to

Why would you say that ?

There’s a very nice brownfield plot just up the road that has just been put up for sale. If they parked themselves there I very much hope that the council would provide them with a couple of portaloos and a skip for their rubbish much as Plymouth Council appear to have done.

There’s a very nice brownfield plot just up the road that has just been put up for sale. If they parked themselves there I very much hope that the council would provide them with a couple of portaloos and a skip for their rubbish much as Plymouth Council appear to have done.
That's eggstremely thoughtful.

If you read the comments section it is actually quite funny.

Apparently alongside the 12 occupied permanent pitches provided by Brighton and Hove City Council for travellers are 21 transit pitches of which 13 are vacant and available to rent for periods of up to 3 months. So while the news report may be accurate - it does little to give the reader the full picture.

Back