Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So we can wild camp now ?

So it's off to the Lakes this weekend then , Cumbria police have just said it will be impossible to police these policies !!

I heard on tv that it meant no overnight stays. Intrepret that as you will.

Whilst we are all anxious to go to places in our California's, if we all collectively refrain the temptation a little longer and stay home, we'll all be able to go wherever we want without fear or upsetting local folks....:agreed

As Cumbria has one of the highest incidence outside of London I'm pretty sure its a good idea to travel there. You can then see if you can catch it, cv-19, and then be one of those who can wander around knowing you may not catch it again.
Check first on your local hospital and its facilities/capacity and bear in mind that it can take up to 24 days for symptoms to show.

If you consider that 'Stay At Home' still exists as we're still fighting this thing but with the allowance for exercise via car then planned wild camping isnt yet a thing.

My take on it, is that instead of running / walking around the local neighbourhood i can now take the cali to transport my kayak to a local river / canal and not undertake a 2-3 hour trip to the lakes for a weekend away carrying out the 3 lakes challenge despite how socially isolating that maybe.
My understanding is you have to return home to sleep

If wild camping is considered a form on exercise, then yes, they can freely do so.

What the PM said - In the correct context is,

"And from this Wednesday, we want to encourage people to take more and even unlimited amounts of outdoor exercise.

You can sit in the sun in your local park, you can drive to other destinations, you can even play sports but only with members of your own household.

You must obey the rules on social distancing and to enforce those rules we will increase the fines for the small minority who break them."

Travel only for exercise ... and there is an increase in fine for those who break the rules. Lockdown is still active.
Sorry for the rant but here goes.
I think if you read the document on the government's own website you will find that you may travel an unspecified distance to exercise but you are not allowed to stay away from your home overnight. Two lessons here 1: don't believe all you hear in the media they do not state the facts they are much more interested in creating a story. 2: don't believe everything that comes out of Boris's mouth he has a proven track record of distorting the truth.
I always had the view that California owners were a responsible section of the community but some of the things I have read here is making me review this opinion. It's not about you it's about responsibility to society as a whole.

So no actual $11,000 fines then. Thought not.
Again if you read the government's website the maximum fine has been raised to £3200 and this is for 'multiple offences so more than 5.

You can then see if you can catch it, cv-19, and then be one of those who can wander around knowing you may not catch it again.
Check first on your local hospital and its facilities/capacity and bear in mind that it can take up to 24 days for symptoms to show.

I can see a number of things wrong with that the main one being you could end up in ICU and then die and while you are busy dying you will be putting everyone who is looking after you at risk for no reason or you could simply stay at home for a little while longer and then enjoy the experience of being free once the restrictions have been lifted :thumb

Wild camp at your own risk, try it in Cornwall and I think you may end up with four flat tyres or worse !
Yes I think wild camping in Cornwall is a great idea, i think the yocals live tourists it’s there industry after all. Great that they have a warm fuzzy feeling for us their customers.

Personally I would not risk wild-camping at the moment due to the attitude of locals which "appear" negative towards outsiders coming into their areas. Next year they will all be wanting tourism income, bet there will be a spate of region TV adds "Vist the Lakes" Vist Cornwall" etc.

The instructions are specific. No overnight stays and still no visits to second homes.

I thought the advice was even more specific than that: no visits to second homes for the purpose of a holiday. A small detail, I know, but moving into a second home for the purpose of convalescing, or to escape an abusive relationship, for example, may well be allowed.

Personally I would not risk wild-camping at the moment due to the attitude of locals which "appear" negative towards outsiders coming into their areas. Next year they will all be wanting tourism income, bet there will be a spate of region TV adds "Vist the Lakes" Vist Cornwall" etc.

The behaviour of some has been quite disgusting. There was the case of a nurse isolating herself from her family in a nearby holiday cottage who had her car tyres slashed.

Rural communities really need to take a long hard look at themselves and consider their behaviour towards people from outside their communities.

We really are in this all together.

The behaviour of some has been quite disgusting. There was the case of a nurse isolating herself from her family in a nearby holiday cottage who had her car tyres slashed.

Rural communities really need to take a long hard look at themselves and consider their behaviour towards people from outside their communities.

We really are in this all together.
I think that raises an interesting point. Not just for rural communities, but also urban areas.
I’ve been open with friends that I’ve been struggling with lock down. I’m still managing to walk the dogs for a good walk every day, but lost motivation for other things.
Unbeknown to me until a few minutes before, a neighbour decided to bring their kids and weed my front garden. Very kind. But the kids were getting close to me when I popped out to say hello, so I retreated indoors.
Now, I fear that other neighbours who have had adult children around to visit, will think I am being hypocritical...
This is so hard on all of us. So, I can only ask, if in doubt please ask, and if it’s wrong please say so, but politely. And only then escalate if necessary.
And apologies if I have offended anyone.

You can’t wild camp; The bottom line is that “you can drive to other places for exercise, but you can’t stay overnight“. Simples!

I think that raises an interesting point. Not just for rural communities, but also urban areas.
I’ve been open with friends that I’ve been struggling with lock down. I’m still managing to walk the dogs for a good walk every day, but lost motivation for other things.
Unbeknown to me until a few minutes before, a neighbour decided to bring their kids and weed my front garden. Very kind. But the kids were getting close to me when I popped out to say hello, so I retreated indoors.
Now, I fear that other neighbours who have had adult children around to visit, will think I am being hypocritical...
This is so hard on all of us. So, I can only ask, if in doubt please ask, and if it’s wrong please say so, but politely. And only then escalate if necessary.
And apologies if I have offended anyone.
Hi Alison, thought I’d reply as I didn’t know what emoji was best.
I understand that you may have a vulnerability.
I also understand that you may be frightened/concerned.
The children that did your garden did so with good intent. If I were you I’d be more comforted by that good deed rather than a concern over others ‘narrow’ judgement.
Just the way I look at maybe but knowing that others did something positive for me would make me feel very warm!

Hi Alison, thought I’d reply as I didn’t know what emoji was best.
I understand that you may have a vulnerability.
I also understand that you may be frightened/concerned.
The children that did your garden did so with good intent. If I were you I’d be more comforted by that good deed rather than a concern over others ‘narrow’ judgement.
Just the way I look at maybe but knowing that others did something positive for me would make me feel very warm!
I was going to reply and ask about the the thumbs down, so thank you so much for explaining. Yes, my neighbour and her kids are great. We have been friends overseas and here working together. And I love being around them, me helping them and vice versa. It was just a bit much when they were getting close as they were excited.
We have 6 houses locally. One with an essential worker who is out every day. My neighbour working from home with kids (hubby working away) and the other three all retired, but having adult children visiting. Not just on the doorstep...
So I am also a little sensitive that allowing this lovely gesture to help me might be perceived as condoning others who are clearly flouting the rules / guidelines / law.
I am also aware that up here we flattened the curve before it peaked, we are seeing a long protracted plateau, so keeping at the same level will be a challenge for all.
As always, I hope everyone keeps safe and no offence meant.

The Fines should be at the same level as they are in Australia .

Divide by 2 to get approximate GBP equivalent.

NEW SOUTH WALES

Health Minister Brad Hazzard has announced a new on the spot fine of $5000 for anyone who spits or coughs on health care workers or police.

There have been a series of incidents where frontline workers have had people spitting and coughing on them, with some people even falsely claiming to have COVID-19.

“How incredibly ridiculous is that, that anybody could think it is acceptable to spit or cough on frontline health care workers, health officials, police,” Mr Hazzard said.

“These frontline workers are caring for us and the simple fact is, we need to care for them, so this on the spot $5000 fine will send a clear message that we are all as one.”

Under an emergency ministerial directive signed by Mr Hazzard, people who leave their home without “reasonable excuse” could be fined up to $11,000 and face six months in jail.

Examples of a “reasonable excuse” include “obtaining food or other goods and services, travelling for the purposes of work or education if the person cannot do it at home, exercise or medical or caring reasons
”.

None of your ponsy £30 fine there.

Is it really the right message that spitting or coughing at Health Care Workers or Police gets you a maximum $5,000 fine whilst going outside without a 'reasonable excuse' (which must be open to a degree of interpretation) gets you a maximum of $11,000 fine and possible 6 month prison sentence? Is it just me or do the priorities seem a bit out?

Is it really the right message that spitting or coughing at Health Care Workers or Police gets you a maximum $5,000 fine whilst going outside without a 'reasonable excuse' (which must be open to a degree of interpretation) gets you a maximum of $11,000 fine and possible 6 month prison sentence? Is it just me or do the priorities seem a bit out?

Those are all statutory maximum fines set in Australia, and whatever messages you feel those levels may be signalling, it's worth being aware that they are not the fine levels that are actually being issued, from what I've seen.

The UK situation is probably or more interest to most of us. Here, for being away from home 'without reasonable excuse' under the coronavirus regs, the police can issue fixed penalties of £100 for a first offence. But if the case goes to court the fine that could theoretically be awarded is actually unlimited.

But, as in Australia, maximum theoretical fine levels won't reflect actual sentencing practice in the vast majority of cases. There are no codified sentencing guidelines out yet for the coronavirus regs offences, but a court might well assess the level of seriousness in part by looking at existing guidelines for other public order-type offences.

Regarding spitting at a health care worker or a police officer, I can tell you that the UK courts take any assault on an emergency worker particularly seriously in practically all circumstances. And if done in the context of the Covid-19 health threat, extremely seriously and could well result in an immediate custodial sentence of up to six months, as has been seen in at least a couple of recent cases that I've seen reported.

Back