Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wild camping

T

Tracy Gittins

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Weve only had our california since October and I can see on here that people talk about wild camping often but (probably a silly question) but where do people wild camp, we go away every second weekend and haven't yet seen anywhere that we can imagine bedding down and sleeping x

I like freecamping or standing free better than the words you use , that way it sounds like something illegal ....
Maybe your not visiting the right places to do some freecamping.
It's just go with the flow , passing somewhere saying ....hey thats nice , let's stay here a while....
It can also be a camperplace advertised with a sign sometimes with some facilyties like fresh water,.... but not on a camping.
Thats somewhere in between the two....

We live in suffolk, so we've only ventured to norfolk and Lincolnshire areas at the moment, heading for Bournemouth next week !

Hi Tracy,

I am slowly getting my head around wild camping. I am breaking myself in by staying at Britstops which are not at all like wild camping but are much less secure than a campsite. I will move on to full blown wild camp sites very soon. Tesco car parks and remote National Trust car parks being on the list to try. I have wild camped in Europe in the mountains but there are many remote spots there, unlike the UK. Tip of the day...keep you pants on at night in case you need to make a quick exit.

Regards
Mike

There is this if you sign up. Not free but you get access to the downloadable poi database. Proved good for us.
Not all are spots where I personally would want to be but there are some really excellent places as well. Always worth checking them out on GoogleEarth.
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/payments.php

There are loads of spots around the UK coast. Our tip is to turn up late and leave early.

There are all sorts of places available, some nice, some convenient. The POI from the Wildcamping website is good, but there are lot of laybys in there and a few places that you look at and think, "really?".

I like forestry car parks and isolated places by the sea. But I've also been found in ferry port car parks and motorway services when needs must :)

Here's a few pictures of places we've wilded.

FoD. Lots of little car parks about.
file_zps55d46b41.jpg

Welsh coast.
file_zpsd9dbc7b8.jpg

Irish coast.
file_zpsd6b76d22.jpg

Pincnic area in the woods.
file_zps56268946.jpg

Forestry commission car park, Brecon.
IMGP3045_zpse913aa18.jpg

We always do a litter pick around the area we're camped in, leaving the place tidier than when we arrived. We also try to make use of local shops (independent ones, not Tesco!)

Hope that inspires!

look at Britstops
http://www.britstops.com/
free overnight stays at diverse locations...pubs, canalsides, beaches, farm shops, local breweries, working farms, etc etc 400 locations...
great for small trips out or for breaking up a longer journey

look at Britstops
http://www.britstops.com/
free overnight stays at diverse locations...pubs, canalsides, beaches, farm shops, local breweries, working farms, etc etc 400 locations...
great for small trips out or for breaking up a longer journey
Hi David

we were considering the Britstops membership. Are there many stops in Cornwall that are in the guide, just deciding whether it would be a worthwhile purchase for us or spend our money on or some other guide. Thanks

There are all sorts of places available, some nice, some convenient. The POI from the Wildcamping website is good, but there are lot of laybys in there and a few places that you look at and think, "really?".

I like forestry car parks and isolated places by the sea. But I've also been found in ferry port car parks and motorway services when needs must :)

Here's a few pictures of places we've wilded.

FoD. Lots of little car parks about.
file_zps55d46b41.jpg

Welsh coast.
file_zpsd9dbc7b8.jpg

Irish coast.
file_zpsd6b76d22.jpg

Pincnic area in the woods.
file_zps56268946.jpg

Forestry commission car park, Brecon.
IMGP3045_zpse913aa18.jpg

We always do a litter pick around the area we're camped in, leaving the place tidier than when we arrived. We also try to make use of local shops (independent ones, not Tesco!)

Hope that inspires!
Great pics, love that kind of off the beaten track camping. Thanks for posting those.

The majority of the trips I make at the moment are associated with walking the Scottish Munro's (Scottish mountains over 3000ft) of which there are 282. These are spread all over Scotland and I wild camp at or near the start of these. Averaging say 3 Munros per site that is some 100 different wild camping spots required. I'm half way through so that is about 50 wild camps thus far, albeit that most of them are quite remote. The point being, that Scotland offers some fantastic, beautiful wild camping opportunities and it isn't difficult to find the perfect spot. As mentioned by twentyonethirtyfive above though, it is vital that we leave no trace of our presence behind us, bar a tyre print perhaps! No doubt that raises other questions.

Just posted this quick video clip in another thread. You can get the wildcamping.co.uk POIs loaded into a satnav and working to good effect. I've loaded these along with the archiescampings.eu POIs into my satnav. I rarely plan an exact itinerary and use this to figure out where I'm going to stay each night as I explore on holiday.

The same POI file can be loaded into Google Earth to check the wild camping spots out for suitability on streetview. Perfect!

Here's an example of the POIs in iGo:

Back