Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So, why /how did you get into the Cali then?

I'd be very interested in what you see in differences between your 2003 Cali and your new one (not body style or engine stuff) or is it still basically the same?
2003 would have been one of the first ones built.....

Hi David,
You be very welcome to have a look on the get together in March.
Without it actually being on my drive yet i'm not sure but there are good and bad things about the latest model I do know of,
A) latest engine and in my case an automatic
B)sliding doors to the cupboards and the wardrobe etc at the side rear seem bigger.
C) there is a clever sliding worktop in the kitchen area
D) the table and chairs are stored in the van doors (clever.... What?)
On the downside we had taken out our upper bed in our current one which gave us a storage shelf when travelling. That
Is no longer possible as the bed seems to be fixed in place and is necessary to hold the 'tent' when it folds down, so, much to my wife's unhappiness, no storage shelf.
Also, the Germans like a long bed now, so the gap between the end of the lower bed and the front seats at night is smaller
Still room for a porta pottie but not quite so good.
However, we have looked at various other vans before chopping in our Cali and still felt that this gave us the best value overall.
And, if the residuals are as good on this one as the last one, then when I change again I should be able to buy a small car for no cost (perhaps!).

sounds like your previous one was a Trendline as some of stuff you mention fitment wise was on the Comfortline?
I think you'll find the minor changes are actually much better...and the new engines and gearbox definitely an improvement!

Thanks for the reassurance David, always good to get before making a major change! I'll tell my wife that'll please her!
I'm not familiar with the Trendline etc, ours was a California Event. The engine certainly sounds pretty agricultural and since getting new hearing aids I've realised how noisy it is so I'm looking forward to the new one.

ah should have realised 2003 meant T4 not T5..DOH!!!! :oops:
T5 driving experience is sheer bliss....it drives itself almost..effortless and smooth and quiet. still getting used to being able to hear the radio!
I dont think the mpg in a T5 is as good as the T4s are tho....

David you need to get a few miles under your belt before you will achieve a reasonable mpg
The engine will loosen up and improve.

Thanks David, I'm looking forward to it .
Re mpg I'm quite light footed and can get 38mpg and even occasionally 40 with care. Norm is 34 to36 with no trouble.
Ho hum I'll just have to put up with less on the T5. It's an automatic too so that won't help .

Back