Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The joys of a Cali!

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
Just back from 850 mile trip to vintage vw show in Germany.
What a dream driving a comfy bus!
left Rotterdam with a load of Splits and arrived on site 3 hours before them!
and an almost unbelievable 43 mpg!!!!!
and no backache or stiffness or setting up on arrival
I love this bus!

I agree David ... You can only but love an old split or bay for its charm and quirkiness ,but you can't beat a Cali for practicality and comfort :)

Agreed. We did 600+ miles the other weekend all for a 2 hour show at Falmouth Uni. The only pain was in my wallet after paying for the fuel! :cool:

so true dave :bananadance but i do miss not having a split .back in to air cooled with a beetle cabrio .its being a pain at moment does not want to start up :headbang :headbang .you don't get this pain with the calie .

8683429626_7098a5128d_o.jpg

I've just come back from Hessisch too, we managed to get a 750 mile range from the fuel tank whilst fully loaded and towing! I love Cali's. Best VW show I've ever been to.

I wasn't towing the whole time tho!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1372542604.546867.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1372542655.572976.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1372542707.192336.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1372542724.941152.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1372542754.354795.jpg

750 from the tank that's good. What was your average speed?

Grrr .... I think we're doing well to get 34mpg at a steady (sat nav) 60, towing nothing! (180 manual with c25k on the clock)

bob-on said:

Nice... Wonder if I could get an A frame like that to tow the bay window behind the Cali..? :)

Towing or not towing that is still serious MPG for a cali ....what did your ave mpg display show out of intrest ? :?:

I really wish I'd taken a photo of it, I left the display on 'range' because I was so impressed with myself for getting it so high!

I just sat at 56mph and tickled the gas pedal, frugal way to drive but it kept us amused! I still even had the fridge on too.

That van has gone back to Hatfield and the new van is proving to be way better, lets hope I get the opportunity to equal my previous achievement.

SimplyDubs said:
bob-on said:

Nice... Wonder if I could get an A frame like that to tow the bay window behind the Cali..? :)

It will tow it but it would be illegal, you're only supposed to use one for an unbraked vehicle below 750kg or for emergency recovery. I towed my '73 Westy from Edinburgh with the A frame behind our old Audi 3.0tdi Quattro, towed like a dream. ;)

Back