Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar options

S

smudger1303

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Awaiting delivery on Wednesday of Cali Ocean and thinking about whether solar is an option. Tried searching but be good to understand any recommendations?

Awaiting delivery on Wednesday of Cali Ocean and thinking about whether solar is an option. Tried searching but be good to understand any recommendations?
is the go to kit. Perfect for the Cali.
Loads of info in here about solar, have a search and a read, but Roger’s kit as linked is brilliant.

is the go to kit. Perfect for the Cali.
Loads of info in here about solar, have a search and a read, but Roger’s kit as linked is brilliant.
I have this on my van but just 1x 100w panel as I only go of grid for a day or 2.
Works brilliantly and I can also charge my power pack from it.

Solar Camper solutions +1
100watt panel on a Beach perfect.
LB 100% charged by 8am during summer.
Fridge runs, charge devices etc, battery remains constantly full.

Roger is an absolute pleasure to deal with and rightly deserves the recommendations on here

Solar Camper solutions +1
100watt panel on a Beach perfect.
LB 100% charged by 8am during summer.
Fridge runs, charge devices etc, battery remains constantly full.

Roger is an absolute pleasure to deal with and rightly deserves the recommendations on here

Absolutely, I have a kit from Roger works perfectly for us, great stuff I cannot fault it, nice guy very helpful.

It looks like this panel would push a Cali just over the 2 metre height (1990 + 14). Do folks find that makes a difference with 2m barriers or do they have enough tolerance to still slip through?

Is the curly cable present/visible all the time, or just when one has the solar connected?

thanks.

It looks like this panel would push a Cali just over the 2 metre height (1990 + 14). Do folks find that makes a difference with 2m barriers or do they have enough tolerance to still slip through?

Is the curly cable present/visible all the time, or just when one has the solar connected?

thanks.

Sits below the existing roofline

thanks.
Not a problem with 2m barriers.

thanks.
Highest point is the centre of the roof which is curved upwards side to side.

Thanks. What's written on Roger's website makes it sound like it increases the total height of the van: "Super Low profile - only adds 14mm extra height at the highest point of the roof - often lower than the awning case".

Thanks. What's written on Roger's website makes it sound like it increases the total height of the van: "Super Low profile - only adds 14mm extra height at the highest point of the roof - often lower than the awning case".
I’ve got two panels from Roger, still under the 2mtr. The broadband puck on the roof is the highest point for me and the van still passes under the 2mtr barriers.

I’ve got two panels from Roger, still under the 2mtr. The broadband puck on the roof is the highest point for me and the van still passes under the 2mtr barriers.
Slightly off-topic, but could you expand on which 'broadband puck' you chose and how much it improves signal strength?

Thanks in advance.

Slightly off-topic, but could you expand on which 'broadband puck' you chose and how much it improves signal strength?

Thanks in advance.
1 x Poynting PUCK-7. The measurement of signal strength is a bit subjective really. What I can say is. It bring cell signal into the vehicle rather than us trying to connect through a tin box. With the roof up it’s even better but I didn’t mount at the front which I should have done. Then I’ve coupled it to a dual sim router where I can switch providers based upon local signal weakness.
When we are using three sim I can get a signal via the router/puck when our phones can’t without going outside. Other sim is vodaphone can’t easily test that as our phone are all three. Hope that helps.

1 x Poynting PUCK-7. The measurement of signal strength is a bit subjective really. What I can say is. It bring cell signal into the vehicle rather than us trying to connect through a tin box. With the roof up it’s even better but I didn’t mount at the front which I should have done. Then I’ve coupled it to a dual sim router where I can switch providers based upon local signal weakness.
When we are using three sim I can get a signal via the router/puck when our phones can’t without going outside. Other sim is vodaphone can’t easily test that as our phone are all three. Hope that helps.
It does, thanks. Is it dual band or just 4G? And approximate cost please?

It does, thanks. Is it dual band or just 4G? And approximate cost please?
It’s 5G as the router is 5G and cost, memory played tricks on me, wasn’t as expensive as I thought.
1 x Poynting PUCK-7 Black Outdoor 6/7.5dBi Omni-Directional WiFi/4G LTE/5G Marine Antenna w/ SMA-Male Connector + GBP 61.40 each

Last edited:
I’ve had one of Roger’s panels, 100w. The Cali fits under the 2m with ease.
We spend quite a bit of time in France and spend many days off grid. I used to be worried but not now. The system works really well with leisure batteries fully charged and in great shape.