Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Microwave Cooking

S

Supergran

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
More advice needed, before taking delivery of new Cali on Wednesday. Thanks to Snowy now know best place to get Gas sorted.
As an option when hooked up on a site what are the recommendations for a small low powered microwave? Sounds a good idea but is it?
D Day getting closer, but trying not to make impulse buys before giving the options thought and taking advice.

Microwaves?

What is the cali community coming to ....

You arrive on site!

Proceed to dig a fire pit!

Line with paper (caravan club mag or similar ... )

place wood in prepared fire pit (those pegs that they use for marking pitches burn nicely if wood, if plastic a bit smokey)..

place mesh grill over fire pit (normally plenty to be found in the washing up area)..

proceed to cook whilst explaining to the warden that by not depending on electricity generation you are in fact going green, something that the camping community always boasts about)...

Last edited:
Play your own game supergran - if you want a microwave then get one.
Who cares what anyone else thinks?!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Unfortunately campsite Mains supply is not stated in watts, so the above recommendation of 1000 to 2000 watts input for a 800 watt microwave basically means a Campsite Main supply of 4 to 8 amp supply. Most large campsites tend to have a 10 amp supply.
On my recent trip to Nordkapp every campsite had a minimum 10 amp supply.

As many above - best not to load up with lots of kit before you've had half a dozen or so outings with what you already have ... the temptation to keep buying more stuff is always out there - you may end up leaving most of it in the garage ( or on the site next to the fire pit ....)

As many above - best not to load up with lots of kit before you've had half a dozen or so outings with what you already have ... the temptation to keep buying more stuff is always out there - you may end up leaving most of it in the garage ( or on the site next to the fire pit ....)
Couldn't agree more. Not much that can't be achieved with a pan, frying pan and kettle!

Amen to that,

I have a garage full of ovens, slow cookers, grills, cooking sets, range cookers, aga's etc ...

Most became redundant when I discovered Britstops and found I could walk across a car park and have a very nice dinner instead of spending hours working terribly hard to make Albert smell like a greasy spoon restaurant.

Thanks for all the good advice re microwave. Taken on board!
Will go with what we have and see how we go. Sounds more fun!
Collect on Wednesday, First weekend away starts Friday!

DISAGREE is fine. Explanation is BETTER!;)

How about a Remoska? An electric oven that looks like a pan and needs only 475w. You can buy in the UK from Lakeland and pay £140+ or order from remoska.cz and pay about £80.

I have 'been told' that you can cook a full roast dinner in one, bake bread and cakes, cook pizzas etc. and they have very good reviews. (Although most of the reviews seem to be from old folk in sheltered accommodation!)

You still need electric hook-up but might be worth considering for the Winter.

Just considering purchase myself - don't want to be using my COBB for my chips when it's shivery and wet!

Currently on holiday in Portugal and finding my Remoska invaluable. You can cook just about anything and I am amazed how easy it is to use. My husband who is i/c the Cadac is very surprised by the culinary delights I have produced so far and I think enjoying the fact that he does not have to barbecue every night. Well worth looking at ebay to see if there are any good second hand ones around. Finally just like to add that the weather here is hot (28degrees) and sunny!

I use a halogen oven. Has made meals much easier and allows more variety. Can roast, grill, defrost, even make toast if you wish. Great for smelly fish, bacon etc as it contains the smells.

We plug in EHU on arrival, put a lasagne or some mini pizzas in the halogen and by the time we have setup camp our dinner is cooked. In france we worked out from driving into the campsite to sitting down to dinner could be done within 1 hour which includes setting up the kids cab and roof beds, removing 5 bikes, groundsheet, putting up quechua tent etc......

Back