Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Panel Set-up

ArcticMatt

ArcticMatt

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 Hightop
I'm just wondering how other high-toppers have their solar panel set up? I'm just looking at putting one back on. The last owner looks like he's pinched the panel but left the controller and wiring. I'm looking a single 140-150w panel but I wondered how anyone else has got on with bigger or smaller panels?

Cheers
Matt

I have a 80w panel on my T25, but I would say it very much depends on what your power usage and devices are to know what you need.

80w gives me about 5/6 (UK) days on the compressor fridge without hookup or starting the engine without much problem and leaving enough to use lights and such. I did work out a while ago that 120-150w would probably allow me to power my compressor indefinitely (within reason and not in winter).

Before I had the fridge, I pretty much struggled to use all the power it kicked out, even charging several phones, ipads and cameras, listening to the radio and watching a small 12v TV the battery was full mid morning the next day.

I just went for the biggest I could find that fitted in to the 'well' neatly. 2 photos attached. From memory its 80W. Just aiming to stretch my range, not become self-sufficient.
10364169_716623491709850_2353563022122809538_n.jpg 20131204_135304.jpg

Cheers, That looks very tidy indeed. I'm still working out what size panel I need or want. The inner kid wants the biggest but then I think about how often i'll need it. I was up on top measuring up today. It looks like the old panel went over the pop-up vent which seems a bit daft. The suns up all day in the summer so I'll go more juice than normal fingers crossed :)

Untitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

Untitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

The size does vary as they get bigger wattage, so worth looking at some specs to see what will fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bit off-topic but got a newsletter from my VW-Dealer in Holland
A thin 140w panel glued on the roof , 895euro tax and installation , all-in

The size does vary as they get bigger wattage, so worth looking at some specs to see what will fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aye, I can get a rigid 100W panel to fit in the gap just fine. I dont think i'll need owt beefier.

Matt, It appears your 3rd break light has been removed (?) so you will be able to get a bigger panel on.

I should add my cable inlet is rather odd, but we used an existing hole from a TV aerial we removed.

I wasn't sure if mine ever had one. Mines the older model with green dials rather than the funky newer blue dials. I can't see any holes or marks for the third brake light. There's a few other things it seems to be missing.

Good idea to re-use an old hole. The less holes the better.