Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panel

Kencouceirovwc

Kencouceirovwc

Kenco
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
When you’re not on a hookup the three pin plug doesn’t work which I know. If you put a solar panel on the roof what would I need to do to get the three pin plug to work when we are off grid. I have a 2014 t5.1 California.

Have you got an invertor ?
How many Lesuire batteries do you have ?

You cannot. You could get “a” three pin plug to work if you charged a power unit like a Jackery. The challenge was and will always remain the “wattage” available and how fast high watt devices will drain any non house mains power source. I see you have a T5 but have no idea if that has an inverter. They are for off EHU use in a Cali but limited to the wattage they can have draw upon them. ie, no hairdryers, toasters and microwaves.

I thought that your model already had a 150W inverter with a 3 pin plug located at the base of one of the front seats but I guess not. I would aim for the same approach as VW and install an inverter and plug similar to the later model Californias, adding some solar panels to top up the leisure batteries.

Messing with the existing plug on the kitchen unit, which is wired to work only with EHU, is asking for trouble.

I thought that your model already had a 150W inverter with a 3 pin plug located at the base of one of the front seats but I guess not. I would aim for the same approach as VW and install an inverter and plug similar to the later model Californias, adding some solar panels to top up the leisure batteries.

Messing with the existing plug on the kitchen unit, which is wired to work only with EHU, is asking for trouble.
Yes it has a 3pin plug on the kitchen unit behind the passenger seat

Not the same thing. There may be a plug at the base of the drivers seat, assuming RHD, that allows you to plug in off EHU. This is the “inverter” plug and on the older Cali’s can power devices up to 150W.

Can you post a photo of the inside bottom of the front right hand seat?
On the T5/5.1 the 150w inverter socket is on the base of the B pillar directly below the Mains socket on the end of the kitchen unit. It has a black cover flap that you lift up to access the socket. It is not a 3 pin UK mains socket.
You will need an adapter. I believe the Forum shop sells an adapter.

Screenshot_20230710_194909_Chrome~2.jpg

Back