Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panel

Red wine lover

Red wine lover

Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Just asking for ideas please. Saw something in ccc magazine re stick on solar panel. We are thinking of going away for 10 weeks next year, not in our beautiful Callie, and wondered if this sort of solar panel would keep our leisure batteries going on a trickle charge? Unfortunately we live in a flat and unable to plug in except when we are here.
Anyone?

Just asking for ideas please. Saw something in ccc magazine re stick on solar panel. We are thinking of going away for 10 weeks next year, not in our beautiful Callie, and wondered if this sort of solar panel would keep our leisure batteries going on a trickle charge? Unfortunately we live in a flat and unable to plug in except when we are here.
Anyone?
Yes. Is this for fitting to a California to maintain the Leisure and Starter batteries while you are just away or to also help to extend Leisure Battery use when camping also?

Yes. Is this for fitting to a California to maintain the Leisure and Starter batteries while you are just away or to also help to extend Leisure Battery use when camping also?
It would be to maintain the leisure and starter batteries whilst we are away. Thanks

It would be to maintain the leisure and starter batteries whilst we are away. Thanks
You only have 2 options then.
Portable fold up panel that sits on the dashboard that could trickle charge the Leisure battery and you would probably require a 2nd one for the engine battery. They would have to be removed to use the van.
2nd option is a rooftop panel, I would advise against stick on ones as they are difficult to remove and the California has a ribbed roof.
A fixed panel is fit and forget and can keep both batteries fully charged if parked outside.
Solarcampersolutions make a kit for the California to bolt on the roof rails. Doesn't have to be removed and just works 365 days a year, unless covered in snow.
The owner of the above company is a Forum member and many members have used his system.

@Red wine lover I’d go to Solar Camper Solutions and have 1 or even 2 panels fitted and have them wired to also trickle charge the Starter battery.
A cheaper alternative might be to find secure storage for your van where they could provide either permanent or periodic hookup whilst you’re away.

Hi and thanks all..

We're thinking that we may trade Herman in next year for a younger model but hope to make the Cambridge Folk Festival later this year where he'll be parked up for 3-4 days without hook up (no doubt in glorious sunshine ;-).

The bolted on version looks great but given our thoughts, we may opt for the portable fold up panel initially and sit it on the dashboard for the duration. However, will it charge leisure and engine batteries (unlikely I'm guessing) and as I'm no techy is it easy to connect and if so, how? I don't want to blow any fuses or damage electrics in the process! Finally, where can we buy one (Halfords?).

Cheers

Taff T.

Hi and thanks all..

We're thinking that we may trade Herman in next year for a younger model but hope to make the Cambridge Folk Festival later this year where he'll be parked up for 3-4 days without hook up (no doubt in glorious sunshine ;-).

The bolted on version looks great but given our thoughts, we may opt for the portable fold up panel initially and sit it on the dashboard for the duration. However, will it charge leisure and engine batteries (unlikely I'm guessing) and as I'm no techy is it easy to connect and if so, how? I don't want to blow any fuses or damage electrics in the process! Finally, where can we buy one (Halfords?).

Cheers

Taff T.
You should manage 3-4. Days just on batteries without hook up. If you plug solar into socket on dash you would charge engine battery, you would need to connect to socket on kitchen to charge leisure battery.
Unless the ones from Halfords have improved in the last few years they are pretty much useless, especially sat on dash, you will be lucky to charge a phone never mind the leisure battery. Money would be better spent on beer.

You should manage 3-4. Days just on batteries without hook up. If you plug solar into socket on dash you would charge engine battery, you would need to connect to socket on kitchen to charge leisure battery.
Unless the ones from Halfords have improved in the last few years they are pretty much useless, especially sat on dash, you will be lucky to charge a phone never mind the leisure battery. Money would be better spent on beer.
Thanks Willwander…my batteries are 100% after good run but with 10 days on our drive now at 70% so back on mains charge. The fold up option to keep the engine battery topped up I suppose it is then as any trouble I can start up again and the fridge should keep chillin!

Thanks Willwander…my batteries are 100% after good run but with 10 days on our drive now at 70% so back on mains charge. The fold up option to keep the engine battery topped up I suppose it is then as any trouble I can start up again and the fridge should keep chillin!
What is the Voltage displayed on the Control Panel?

The % reading is a calculated estimate that is not very accurate and can vary a lot. The Voltage is accurate.

SoC-AGM.jpg

‘Just disconnected WG and showing 13.4v and 100% - all double Dutch to me though but will now monitor over next couple of days to see if and how fast it drops into amber or red zones when nothing being used ..if it does, I’m guessing my batteries (and I) might have a problem - thanks again

‘Just disconnected WG and showing 13.4v and 100% - all double Dutch to me though but will now monitor over next couple of days to see if and how fast it drops into amber or red zones when nothing being used ..if it does, I’m guessing my batteries (and I) might have a problem - thanks again
You need to check voltage about 15mins after you have disconnected. It takes a small amount of time for voltage to settle and drop to normal.

Thanks Ch1pbutty

‘Just checked and wellafter 15 mins but still 100% and 12.9v …so batteries OK then?

Cheers

Taff

Thanks Ch1pbutty

‘Just checked and wellafter 15 mins but still 100% and 12.9v …so batteries OK then?

Cheers

Taff
Check daily for a few days. Ignore the %, concentrate on the Voltage.

Back