Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sonos

R

RTWoodstock

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Am very new all to all this just couple of weeks ago (and already been away 3 times in it and done 1200 miles) bought a California (and no doubt will have a ton of questions) but one thing I was wondering was if anyone had put a Sonos wireless speaker system in for when the van is static. Have some spare Sonos speakers and was thinking of creating a wireless network for this purpose.

Anyway, if someone has done this any difficulties/tips etc much appreciated.

I love sonos and have them all over the house. I considered them for the van and consider them the best speakers pound for pound, but the problem is that you need to be on electric hook-up to use them and run the wireless network. In the end I went for a pair of JAM double down bluetooth speakers that charge off USB. We use them out of the van too as there are no wires, so perfect for BBQ's outside on the table.

I bought couple of Bestek inverters and this seems to run the sonos play 1 OK and the Apple Airport Express - just wandered if I was going the best way about it. For the couple of weeks have had the van have used Bluetooth speakers that work ok. Just thought I would have a bit of a go.

I play my Spotify play lists through Bluetooth speakers sourced from my iPhone which kept me going for 2 months recently while on holiday
Couldn't travel without it

Alan

I have lots if Sonos at home but would never consider it for the Cali.
The Sonos needs a stable wifi that is more or less always on. You need converters etc for 12v to 230v etc which all consumes power.
I bought a Bang Olufsen Beoplay A1 to use in the Cali, nice to look at, long battery life and quite ok sound,

I have a small UE BOOM for wireless music on the road. Small, functional and handy with a great sound. Connect thru bluetooth and buy two if you want real stereo.

INUEB2BK_ue_boom_2_portable_speaker_phantom_black.jpg

I use an android headunit and if i'm not streaming stuff directly from the headunit applications (spotify, deezer, tunein radio etc), I can use airplay to stream from my iOS device to it using this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waxrain.airplaydmr2&hl=en

The headunit auto-tethers to a phone wirelessly, the phone acting as a router for other devices. So the phone and any of my other apple devices (macbook, iPad) can stream music to the headunit. I find it works well, playing music out of the van speakers while sitting outside at the table and having control is certainly convenient. Since it reuses the already installed van speakers and head unit it cuts down on the number of things that need to be carted around, something I appreciate to keep the place tidy and preserve valuable storage space. I don't have my headunit powered from the leisure battery as I don't stay in any one location for long enough to deplete the starter battery, but there's the possibility of wiring up a switch over for those that need it.

Now I just need to upgrade my van speakers from the stock ones which are admittedly pretty awful...

I use an android headunit and if i'm not streaming stuff directly from the headunit applications (spotify, deezer, tunein radio etc), I can use airplay to stream from my iOS device to it using this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waxrain.airplaydmr2&hl=en

The headunit auto-tethers to a phone wirelessly, the phone acting as a router for other devices. So the phone and any of my other apple devices (macbook, iPad) can stream music to the headunit. I find it works well, playing music out of the van speakers while sitting outside at the table and having control is certainly convenient. Since it reuses the already installed van speakers and head unit it cuts down on the number of things that need to be carted around, something I appreciate to keep the place tidy and preserve valuable storage space. I don't have my headunit powered from the leisure battery as I don't stay in any one location for long enough to deplete the starter battery, but there's the possibility of wiring up a switch over for those that need it.

Now I just need to upgrade my van speakers from the stock ones which are admittedly pretty awful...

Dont you run the batteries flat? I recall my Cali shut the radio down automatically after a while … that why we bring the UE Boom. Maybe Im wrong?

We have installed at small WIFI router in the car. We have no navi, so we use a iPad mini as a onboard computer for navi, web (searching camping, gasstatiosn, etc) and streaming music – alle thru the cars speakers. Works really well. But when the engine is off, we use the bluetooth speaker for music to save the main battery.

I have an envivo lantern/bluetooth speaker and that is plenty loud enough for the van. I got it for 19.99 from Aldi of all places.

Its certainly not difficult to put a sonos in the van, even a mifi dongle will let you use it for the network. I just think it would be a bit overkill and take up too much space and I will leave mine at home.

Dont you run the batteries flat? I recall my Cali shut the radio down automatically after a while … that why we bring the UE Boom. Maybe Im wrong?

We have installed at small WIFI router in the car. We have no navi, so we use a iPad mini as a onboard computer for navi, web (searching camping, gasstatiosn, etc) and streaming music – alle thru the cars speakers. Works really well. But when the engine is off, we use the bluetooth speaker for music to save the main battery.

The auto power off is a feature of the OEM headunit interacting with the signals the Cali sends, my headunit doesn't use these and instead provides configurable options on when to power down after the ignition key is removed (have mine set to 2 hours). I don't use it for huge periods of time (prefer to be out doing stuff :)), but I've used it for a few hours between starts while having breakfast and dinner in the evening without issue.

I love my Sonos, I've also been a tester for them for years but I wouldn't want to run them in the Cali when there are much simpler and cheaper ways of getting a good sound, plus I wouldn't want to annoy my neighbours with anything too loud anyway.

Edit: Although..... Removing the rear pull down storage unit and swapping for a Playbar sounds like an interesting project :)

Another vote for the Bose mini sound link plus it will recharge from the inverter.

I have a small UE BOOM for wireless music on the road. Small, functional and handy with a great sound. Connect thru bluetooth and buy two if you want real stereo.

View attachment 15871

Got one of these also( a redone!) , very handy not only on trips but in the house also , not cheap though!

Only thing is , if using to musicproviders, like the mrs and my Iphone , we need to put her bluetooth "off " when i want to play mine...hers keeps interupping becouse it's the first installed i guess? Very annoing when forgotten and in the shower:D

It would be more efficient to find a unit that runs/charges on 12v as there is wasted power inverting and then transforming back down again.

The bose charges over usb so any regular cigarette 12v to usb will do fine.

The bose charges over usb so any regular cigarette 12v to usb will do fine.

My UE Boom can also use usb to charge.

View attachment 15871
Picked one up for the Cali and well impressed and that's with only one.

Mike

UE mini boom - anything too big will likely get on someone's pip nearby.

Back