Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SORN

Smudge

Smudge

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I've just had a reminder from the DVLA to pay my vehicle tax. I was wondering does anyone SORNs their vehicle, if they know that they aren't going to use it for a few months. This way you don't have to pay vehicle tax (or if you feel comfortable, not even insuring it) when it is stored off road or in a secure location. Bearing in mind the cost of vehicle tax and insurance this could save you a fair amount of money, especially if it could be a regular occurrence. Is it worth the hassle?

I do this with my old golf every year, the insurance company lets me take it down to fire and theft cover only as its not on the road and stored in the garage. I will assume as the golf is old then they dont mind in classic insurance and understand this, however it may be worth asking your insurance company the question.
It must happen, what if someones engine blows or goes away for months at a time....tbc

I would consider SORN but would not cancel insurance personally.

Some years ago we had an Eriba which we put into safe secure storage. An extreme weather event resulted in the loss of over 40 or more stored undercover caravans by flooding. We were insured and got paid out in full. A number of people had new/expensive caravans stored which they decided not to insure over the winter. They didn’t get paid out, all to save a few hundred pounds they lost £1000’s.

Not trying to scare you but you should give careful thought to insurance cancellation.

I have a memory from the days when I used to SORN an older van, that the insurance companies don't like vehicles being untaxed. I could have mixed that up, but others may share the view.

I occasionally SORN my MX5 over winter but unless you tie the dates in with the renewal of insurance there's not always a lot of a saving on insurance. They tend to charge a hefty fee to make changes to policies and in my experience the TPFT cost is not much less than Fully Comp. If as @Volkywagen does you can get a Fire & Theft deal it might be worth it but I reckon the overall saving will be marginal. Let us know how you get on with your insurance.

Just another thought....for those of us paying £450 a year road tax for the first 5 years. Does SORNing your van have any impact on that time period? If someone was bonkers could they choose to SORN their new van for 5 years to avoid the premium?....or does the premium apply until 5 years have been paid?
(Please, no need for any 'why would you do that?' comments. I have zero plans to SORN my van.....I'm just exploring if SORNing is more economical for those with newer vans. to help the OP).

Just another thought....for those of us paying £450 a year road tax for the first 5 years. Does SORNing your van have any impact on that time period? If someone was bonkers could they choose to SORN their new van for 5 years to avoid the premium?....or does the premium apply until 5 years have been paid?
(Please, no need for any 'why would you do that?' comments. I have zero plans to SORN my van.....I'm just exploring if SORNing is more economical for those with newer vans. to help the OP).
I was going to ask that but bottled it...

I wish I'd done this at the start of April... The 5 miles I've driven since then cost me £15 a mile in tax. Should I sorn for June, any thoughts?

I wish I'd done this at the start of April... The 5 miles I've driven since then cost me £15 a mile in tax. Should I sorn for June, any thoughts?
No. I should think that most who have campers on SORN will be taxing them again next month as the lock down travel restrictions have eased.

I'm taxing mine next month after 2 months off road, not to go camping but to use it as a van!

Nope, get out and enjoy using it again.

Back