Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sounds like a cricket…

scimmiamagia!

scimmiamagia!

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Have a noise from the engine bay that sounds like a cricket. Any thoughts? Timing belt or fan belt?

Have a noise from the engine bay that sounds like a cricket. Any thoughts? Timing belt or fan belt?
Is it louder in one part of the engine bay? Worse when cold or warm or same? My guess its a bearing. Which, will require some investigation.

The timing belt was replaced under warranty a few years back due to such a noise. Cold morning start up.

Belt tensioner is a common issue and was subject to Replacement under warranty. known issue and VW should replace under good will during service. !

To check : Pop the bonnet , stick your head to the drivers side engine bay , the chirping matches the engine speed ? usually worse when cold, but can be noisy all the time .

there is no fan belt , fan is electric

Also : check Timing /Aux Belts :
With the engine off (keys out of ignition) put your hand down the side of the engine cam belt cover you should be able to feel the bottom of the Timing belt and also the Serpentine belt, check for fraying etc. If you can feel any fraying to either belt get it changed ASAP.

my money would be on the belt tensioner.

Some reading

It is particularly bad when cold. Noticeably so. Needs brakepads and front disks too so am off to vw next week.

Airbag not clipped in properly causes chirp noises

I had a loose cable at the front, under the bonnet latch. Drove me nuts. Then I found it, popped it into place and got my sanity back

Pop the bonnet , stick your head to the drivers side engine bay , the chirping matches the engine speed ? usually worse when cold, but can be noisy all the time .
Does not seem to be related to engine speed. Good or bad?

thanks. potential imminent failure or ok to drive for a while? have a 200 mile round trip coming up.

I had a similar chirp on my old golf. Could never put my finger on exactly where until the alternator freewheel clutch pulley failed. It was that

Back