Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California 2013 180 bop engine rebuild

D

Doonhiller

VIP Member
Hi
I’m looking for some advice on my Vw california engine 2.0 180 bhp 2013
The auxiliary belt snapped and went into the timing belt . Would I be better of getting the engine rebuilt , a reconditioned engine or a new engine .
Could anyone also recommend anyone in the Newcastle area to carry out the required work
Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can get my cali back on the road
Thanks

Hi
The auxiliary belt snapped and went into the timing belt . Would I be better of getting the engine rebuilt , a reconditioned engine or a new engine .
Could anyone also recommend anyone in the Newcastle area to carry out the required work
Thanks
Personally unless it is very low milage I would go for a replacement engine. It would certainly be quicker . If I was planning on keeping the vehicle longterm then a new engine if finances allow, and you would get a longer warranty.

Hi
Thanks
But exactly how much damage has been done. Until you know that nobody can give a true answer.

Hi
Thanks
Sorry to hear your woes

a company called TPS can supply a new full engine a greatly reduced costs, your selected fitter will probably have to buy the engine as TPS usually only deal with trade.

search here and on the T6 forum “TPS” , face book group ad well

But exactly how much damage has been done. Until you know that nobody can give a true answer.
But that’s where the man hours, hence Labour charges, start going up significantly. The engine would have to be removed and then stripped down significantly. Some damage will be obvious, valves/pistons etc, but other damage may be less obvious and only picked up by an experienced mechanic. Then parts ordered and the engine rebuilt properly and reinstalled.
If DIY then possibly the way forward.
Otherwise engine Out/engine In will minimise workshop hours.

Because of the oil use / engine death issue with this engine, if seems vw is pricing replacement engines at a very good price. Unless your Cali had the egr cooler replaced with a revision D at a very early stage, many knowledgeable buyers would have been wary of it..... At least with a new complete engine this worry goes away and the resale value is enhanced..... So there is a bit of a silver lining to the sad situation.

I'm surprised no one has picked up on the cause here.... An aux belt leads to total engine failure. Have we heard about that before?

Because of the oil use / engine death issue with this engine, if seems vw is pricing replacement engines at a very good price. Unless your Cali had the egr cooler replaced with a revision D at a very early stage, many knowledgeable buyers would have been wary of it..... At least with a new complete engine this worry goes away and the resale value is enhanced..... So there is a bit of a silver lining to the sad situation.

I'm surprised no one has picked up on the cause here.... An aux belt leads to total engine failure. Have we heard about that before?
Yes, there was a recall for the Auxiliary Belt Tension Pulley back in 2015, for a specific VIN group. I received a letter from VW to arrange the work. The OPs vehicle should have had atleast 2 cambelt changes by now, according to VWUK's Service Schedule.

Edit. In fact it was a Service Action rather than recall. Done at next visit to Dealer 2016/17.

Last edited:
Personally unless it is very low milage I would go for a replacement engine. It would certainly be quicker . If I was planning on keeping the vehicle longterm then a new engine if finances allow, and you would get a longer warranty.
The engine has done 82k and it’s getting the right garage to do the work

Yes, there was a recall for the Auxiliary Belt Tension Pulley back in 2015, for a specific VIN group. I received a letter from VW to arrange the work. The OPs vehicle should have had atleast 2 cambelt changes by now, according to VWUK's Service Schedule.
It has had 2 cam belt changes and was due another belt change next year and any idea what year calis the recall was for ?

It has had 2 cam belt changes and was due another belt change next year and any idea what year calis the recall was for ?
The service action rather than recall was in 2016/17 If the vehicle has had Cambelt changes in a VW Dealership then I would have thought any such action would have been flagged.

Last edited:
Hi
Thanks
would love to know the outcome of this issue- as we are in the same very sad position

Back