Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sourcing new drivers side sliding window unit

DOMINICGG1234

DOMINICGG1234

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all

Looking for recommendations around where I can purchase the above. Been told by VW that the leak and rattling is due to corrosion and a new unit is required. However it’s so pricey with Vw so thinking if I can source online and get auto glass or similar to fit it would make more sense.

Thanks in advance

Hi all

Looking for recommendations around where I can purchase the above. Been told by VW that the leak and rattling is due to corrosion and a new unit is required. However it’s so pricey with Vw so thinking if I can source online and get auto glass or similar to fit it would make more sense.

Thanks in advance
Advice given in your previous thread

Additionally try

Ebay
Kernow transporters

hope that helps

It isn't corrosion it's a dreadful design fault that VW have refused to recognise in all of the twenty years that they have been producing that window.
There will be a small section of plastic that has come un-bonded from its partner part. These are part of the drain channel that takes any water that leaks past the window seals from the slide channel to the outside of the van. The exit is behind the glass on the outside so you cannot see it.
There are two of these channels per window, one that you can see at the front of the channel and one that is always obscured in the centre of the channel.
What ever you do DON'T poke anything down the drain hole as that only separates the two plastic parts even more.
I've had three windows changed under warranty in various vans over the years but nothing has ever stopped the leaks happening over time.

Hi all

Thanks in advance
As @rod_vw says, there is a design flaw, so you could end up replacing one leaky window with another….. if you buy a used one make sure it wasn’t replaced because it leaked.
If I knew then what I know now and hadn’t had mine replaced under warranty I would look at a non opening single glass panel

There could be an advantage of buying a used one which is in good condition for a reasonable price. If the aforementioned plastic parts are present but separated. Whilst the window is out of the van it should be possible to clean them up and re-bond them together. The main problem of trying to fix this fault is that it is almost impossible to access the problem whilst the window is in the vehicle.

There could be an advantage of buying a used one which is in good condition for a reasonable price. If the aforementioned plastic parts are present but separated. Whilst the window is out of the van it should be possible to clean them up and re-bond them together. The main problem of trying to fix this fault is that it is almost impossible to access the problem whilst the window is in the vehicle.
Hard to believe VW haven’t thought of doing a fix at the factory before fitting!

Last edited:
Back