Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spacemate

Mine smelt a little when new, that rubber sort of smell, but can't say that I noticed it, only if up close and not inside the van. The liner is an optional extra, so you could source an alternative anti slip liner. I think you will need something to stop items sliding about. I think the Spacemate is a great addition to the California and most probably one of the best and most useful accessories I have bought for the van.

We had a terrible smell when we purchased full rubber mats for our Beach.

Just wash / scrub the mat in a mix of soap & white wine vinegar, if possible (size permitting) soak them in the bath for 30 mins, rinse, then let the mat them outside in sunlight.

…the reason why they smell:

Last edited:
Very tempted I bought some rubber liner for the back of our first van and it had this awful chemical smell. I had to chuck it out. Does the liner smell all?
Spooky, I asked the same question in a different thread last night, as I really don’t like the smell of rubber (especially not under where my head is when sleeping downstairs). We previously bought a sheet of cork from Ikea, it’s some sort of desk protector I think, it fitted really well in the bench drawer, so maybe we’ll get a couple more and cut to size. Be interested if you come up with other non smelly options.
I find the non slip stuff you can put in drawers wrinkles up, but perhaps that’s just the cheap stuff we’ve bought.

OK, about to order this fantastic looking bit of kit. Its such a faff having to take things out to get to the things at the back. Particularly, if the ground is wet or muddy. Also, it is quite easy to catch the bumper if dragging a heavy box out.

Simon replied to my email questions this morning!

OK, about to order this fantastic looking bit of kit. Its such a faff having to take things out to get to the things at the back. Particularly, if the ground is wet or muddy. Also, it is quite easy to catch the bumper if dragging a heavy box out.

Happy ordering, we just ordered one as well this morning! This forum has a lot to answer for haha.

Spacemates are brilliant. We have put full height partitions in ours which means we can cram in even more stuff.

They’re incredibly quick and simple to fit, almost disappointingly simple if you like tinkering with things.

Enjoy

Has anyone bought the outdoor kitchen that attaches to the Spacemate? Any good?

I have been chatting to Simon and he is happy to modify it so that it works with my Cadac 2 cook 3 BBQ (a hole in the plate for the gas pipe). This seems really cool. We normally rest the BBQ on our outside table but then lose that space. This way we can cook under the shelter of the tail gate and keep the table to eat off.

Has anyone bought the outdoor kitchen that attaches to the Spacemate? Any good?

I have been chatting to Simon and he is happy to modify it so that it works with my Cadac 2 cook 3 BBQ (a hole in the plate for the gas pipe). This seems really cool. We normally rest the BBQ on our outside table but then lose that space. This way we can cook under the shelter of the tail gate and keep the table to eat off.
We had one. The spacemate itself is excellent, but had we not had the kitchen bit, Im not sure we'd miss it.

It's well made etc and adds to the whole 'this is a really smart solution' - but its a lot of storage bulk as theres no clever way to store it in the tray. So you're immediately limited by how many boxes can sit flat in the tray as it takes up a good 50% of the footprint. There's two arms, the frame and then two cutouts that sit in the tray. So its not a small lot.

The other thought is cooking itself. Personally, we were always mindful of cooking smokey/high pong food in our van - and our Cadac was our sausage/burger/steak cooking tool. Cooking such pong right next to the van with the tailgate open is a recipe (excuse the pun) for the van to stink to high heaven of burgers and sausages. We'd be happy to cook things such as pasta etc, but we generally used the inside hobs for things like that. That said, if alfresco cooking was imperative....we found it just as easy and quicker to get the door table out and cooking on that.

We had one. The spacemate itself is excellent, but had we not had the kitchen bit, Im not sure we'd miss it.

It's well made etc and adds to the whole 'this is a really smart solution' - but its a lot of storage bulk as theres no clever way to store it in the tray. So you're immediately limited by how many boxes can sit flat in the tray as it takes up a good 50% of the footprint. There's two arms, the frame and then two cutouts that sit in the tray. So its not a small lot.

The other thought is cooking itself. Personally, we were always mindful of cooking smokey/high pong food in our van - and our Cadac was our sausage/burger/steak cooking tool. Cooking such pong right next to the van with the tailgate open is a recipe (excuse the pun) for the van to stink to high heaven of burgers and sausages. We'd be happy to cook things such as pasta etc, but we generally used the inside hobs for things like that. That said, if alfresco cooking was imperative....we found it just as easy and quicker to get the door table out and cooking on that.
I'd also be concerned about leaving the spacemate pulled out with the tailgate up, especially in colder months when the gas struts are less reliable (and especially with extra stuff stored in the chaircspaces). We often use a prop as an added failsafe, but I think I'd be too worried about the tailgate crashing down and buckling the tray mechanism to actually use a kitchen tray for long periods.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I had not considered the smell factor. That is actually a bit of a deal breaker. Glad i asked now! When the weather is bad we tend to cook very different meals on the inside hob for that reason. I suppose I am seduced by the smart design!

Back