Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel bolts ? Different for steel wheel

beardie

beardie

My Cali has a steel spare and a set of spare wheel bolts. Does this imply the bolts are not interchangeable? Previous cars have had steel spares and space savers but never a spare set of wheel bolts. Not had to use the spare before so thought I'd ask before understanding the difference was important.

Also does this mean that the security locking bolt for the spare I have just bought it for alloy or steel only?

Thanks

Are these spare bolts not just the bolts that were replaced with locking bolts on your alloys :?:

I had a set of Vw alloys fitted to my facelift transporter after i bought it and the same bolts were used bar the set of locking bolts i got for them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I have just realised my 18” Springfield wheels on 2017 Ocean do not have a security bolt.
Has anyone else experienced this?

The spare set of wheel bolts will probably be because you have locking wheel nuts fitted - I bet there is only four in the spare set you have. To answer the question, no you don't need different wheel bolts for the steel spare. A lot of VW's come on alloy wheels but with a steel spare. The VW California original wheel bolts will be fine on both your factory alloys and spare wheel.

@cbdubs I think that the original post (from 2012) will have been resolved a while back.

@Kiwikamper I know that the dealer I bought my Ocean from installed the security bolts, I don't think that they are installed by the factory. I know this because I don't like security bolts (they can be difficult to remove) and I asked the dealer for a set of standard bolts - he just picked four bolts out of a big bin of bolts taken from vans that had the security bolts fitted.

keeping this tread going ! Having only 1 set of bolts on the standard 17 alloy's on our t6 and the same on our past t5 If they do not fit the steel wheels supplied as a spare there would be an issue.

Back