Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spending the kid’s inheritance. Any tips

Congratulations! I am in a similar position, it’s a very exciting time. I too am a “newbie “ and will be interested to see what suggestions are made. In the meantime I suggest putting a bottle of bubbly (or preferred tipple) to cool!

We found it difficult to decide between GC 600 and Hymper Mercedes Sprinter Grand Canyon and in the end the lack of attention from VW garages made our decision. Also a decider was the pop up roof in the Sprinter. I'm watching this forum for tips too :)

We found it difficult to decide between GC 600 and Hymper Mercedes Sprinter Grand Canyon and in the end the lack of attention from VW garages made our decision. Also a decider was the pop up roof in the Sprinter. I'm watching this forum for tips too :)

Looked at the Hymer Free 540 and 600 yesterday. The pop tops are absolutely fantastic and was one of the main things we loved about our Calis. VW have missed by a country mile with the GC in my opinion.

Looked at the Hymer Free 540 and 600 yesterday. The pop tops are absolutely fantastic and was one of the main things we loved about our Calis. VW have missed by a country mile with the GC in my opinion.
Oh that's nice to know. We haven't seen one in the flesh due to lock down and had to do all our research online. We've both lost our jobs and decided "it's now or never". Due to arrive from Germany mid August.

Oh that's nice to know. We haven't seen one in the flesh due to lock down and had to do all our research online. We've both lost our jobs and decided "it's now or never". Due to arrive from Germany mid August.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, the quality seemed excellent. Are you importing yourself from Germany or buying from a UK dealer?

UK dealer. We just missed the first one (a 4WD) and then found a different dealer so let's hope it all goes through (not a 4WD). Have paid a deposit so hoping and assuming they are honest. We moved kind of fast as saw the writing on the wall re our jobs. Reckon out of work 12 months or so. It has given us something to look forward to. Our previous camping was 20+ years ago. 3 months in a 3 man tent with a very old, cheap, Cadillac in America (west coast California up and in to Canada and down through the Rocky Mountains) Our BEST holiday ever. If this is half as good it will be tremendous.

Why post irrelevant information for the post?
The post was for user tips for a first time user not ”what should i have bought”.

+ Ian on the road, are you looking for Grand California specific tips or tips for Motorhoming in general?

The post was for user tips for a first time user not ”what should i have bought”.

+ Ian on the road, are you looking for Grand California specific tips or tips for Motorhoming in general?
Thanks Kim, the joys of open discussion forums I suppose. GC tips thanks.

Apologies Kim griffiths, I didn't realise you were the forum policeman/woman. Friendly here isn't it.

It was not my intention to come across as unfriendly.

Tips:
There is a ventilation function on the truma heating but this is only accessable via the truma control panel under the seat bench and not via VW control panel. Handy to know about when it is hot.

The Brandrup bed covers are expensive but we find them great as it makes liftning the bed to access the ”Garage” so musch easier. ”You can of make your own”

The GC has 3 low points in the fresh water system unfortunately. All 3 of need to be drained and closed again when filling up. The fresh water tank has a drain valve, the truma boiler has one too and there are 2 small valves where the electrics are.

It was not my intention to come across as unfriendly.

Tips:
There is a ventilation function on the truma heating but this is only accessable via the truma control panel under the seat bench and not via VW control panel. Handy to know about when it is hot.

The Brandrup bed covers are expensive but we find them great as it makes liftning the bed to access the ”Garage” so musch easier. ”You can of make your own”

The GC has 3 low points in the fresh water system unfortunately. All 3 of need to be drained and closed again when filling up. The fresh water tank has a drain valve, the truma boiler has one too and there are 2 small valves where the electrics are.
Thanks Kim
saw the Brandrup covers and thought exactly the same but totally agree with your reasoning. These are the tips you only get from a forum such as this. Appreciate you taking the time to post.

Back