Split glass hob lid question.

rich-s

rich-s

East Fleet Farm Touring Park - Weymouth
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,

I think we are imminently about to rejoin the Cali fold :D. We strayed to larger van conversion for a while. Great when parked up, but no refinement on the road.

I have done a quick search on this question, but feel free to slate me if it's been done time and time before.

Is it possible to change the single piece glass hob / sink lid for the newer style split lid? We are looking at a 2017 MY tomorrow, with the former. Whilst its not a deal breaker, it was definitely one thing that annoyed me with our original Cali.

TIA.

I have seen somewhere a custom cut sheet of aluminium that fits over the sink, so you can raise the lid and use the sink as a worktop. That might be an option - certainly will be significantly cheaper!

If I hadn't given away my woodworking tools I would probably have tried to adjust a basic wooden cutting board to do the same :)

I think we've concluded it's NOT practical to convert the single lid to two. There are other ways to adapt as per post 2.

Yes you can , but it would be as expencive as a new kitchen unit ....
We asked this while the factory tour few years ago when this new lid was launched , the answer was no.
Maybe it is doable , if someone try it out who knows?

The single piece only has a stay on the far rights side, so you would need to design a way to keep the left half up in the air too

4 hinges intead of 2
2 gas struts instead of 1
and i don't know about the catch.

If you use the right hand burner then you have to open the
sink lid or it could heat up and explode.

If you have the split cover then fine, but deffo not a worthwhile
upgrade, for me at least.

4 hinges intead of 2
2 gas struts instead of 1
and i don't know about the catch.

If you use the right hand burner then you have to open the
sink lid or it could heat up and explode.

If you have the split cover then fine, but deffo not a worthwhile
upgrade, for me at least.
I tend to agree. I tend to lift the sink cover when using the burners and I tend to use the hob as a drying area when using the sink.

I tend to agree. I tend to lift the sink cover when using the burners and I tend to use the hob as a drying area when using the sink.
I melted part of my treasured VW washing up bowl when having
a large pan on the right hand side burner with the heat licking
up the side of the pan.

Can't remember what we were cooking, i hope it was a crispy
bacon butty cos it would've been worth it :)

The reason I’d like the split top is thus. When on mains and using an electric kettle. It’s a faff to move everything off the top to fill the kettle. Then move it all back to get the milk from the fridge. Then move the kettle etc again to wash up. If I could just leave the hob bit closed and access the sink and the fridge, then all would be well in my world.
First world problems I know, but I thought it was worth asking the question.

The reason I’d like the split top is thus. When on mains and using an electric kettle. It’s a faff to move everything off the top to fill the kettle. Then move it all back to get the milk from the fridge. Then move the kettle etc again to wash up. If I could just leave the hob bit closed and access the sink and the fridge, then all would be well in my world.
Completely understand. For us it was a deal.breaker so waited until we got the one we wanted. Forget about moving things around but just having the window open with the side lid down when cooking provides much better ventilation as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have a tray that sits on the 2 hobs for just that purpose. Easily carried vertically in one of the cupboards.

This mod has been a multi use item that gets used as a drainer over the sink or hob, as a trivet for hot kettles or pans, as a drainer on the removable table when washing dishes outside and might be useful for putting things over the hob when it is still hot.

I melted part of my treasured VW washing up bowl when having
a large pan on the right hand side burner with the heat licking
up the side of the pan.

Can't remember what we were cooking, i hope it was a crispy
bacon butty cos it would've been worth it :)
haha @westfalia you're not the only one. Mine's melted as well. ;-)

This mod has been a multi use item that gets used as a drainer over the sink or hob, as a trivet for hot kettles or pans, as a drainer on the removable table when washing dishes outside and might be useful for putting things over the hob when it is still hot.

Genius, I have ordered a roll up drying rack and shall sharpen the hacksaw. 6 pounds and 10 pence :)