Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Square Mile Cali - Coming Soon

C

CityCali

VIP Member
Hello all - first post here, so a quick introduction is appropriate.

We are a young family (8mnths & 3 yrs) who are big fans of camping - that was until one of our friends turned up this summer with a Bilbo T4 conversion rather than a tent and we went green with envy. Campervans huh? The thought had never crossed our mind, but what amazing things they are - allowing the same freedom and escape from the city, but without the three hours of packing and the 1 hour of setting up the tent! You might imagine - the added palaver with the little ones has meant we can't really justify the effort unless we are going away for at least three nights. With a campervan, weekend overnight trips would be completley practical.

Added to that we live right in the middle of London (for our sins - no we are not bankers) so have no real need to have a car for daily use. But on occaision it would be nice to have one handy rather than hiring all the time - and a campervan could do both. Bet it would be the first Cali to live in the Square Mile too.

So after falling in love with our mate's T4 we started learning about campervans and to cut a long story short figured out the Cali is the best fit for us and that is how we ended up here.

A few weeks back we hired one from Steve at Campervantastic for a long weekend and had a magical time pootling around Kent (Margate - who knew?!) and realised it really was ideal for us.

So thanks to all who have so generously contributed here - it has made the selection of options much easier. We currently have two specs - 'essential' and 'nice to have' - see below. Our fate will be decided by the level of discount we can get and the amount of the kids future pocket money we can talk them out of:

Essential Spec:
180PS Manual
Natural Grey
Cascavel Anthracite/Silver
Black Awning
Parking Sensors
Privacy glass (or is it standard??)

Nice To Have Spec:
180PS DSG (wasn't that keen on the handbrake position on the hire van - too low for me. Need a test drive to see how 'nice to have' DSG actually is)
As above plus
Travel Pack
Leather/Alcantara

I have one question I would love to ask anyone here who might be in the know. I have seen some lovely pictures of the Comfortline Edition with white units. To my eye, these look amazing and would certainly be our preference above the faux-timber (potential practicality issues with the kids are noted but doesn't put me off). Does anyone know if there is a chance of this being a UK option any time soon? Would a dealer be able to request this as a special on a van with the above spec now? Picture below in case anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about:

Volkswagen-California-Special-Edition-Interior-Picture.jpg

Thanks again all - the white units would be the cherry on the cake. Neither of us have ever owned a car before, so this seems a great place to start....but somewhat daunting, and this site has been great. One more pic from our trip to sum up what it is all about for us (not sure if this will work, but worth a shot):

img_7696.jpg

Attachments

• Volkswagen-California-Special-Edition-Interior-Picture.jpg
    Volkswagen-California-Special-Edition-Interior-Picture.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
  • img_7696.jpg
    img_7696.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
The normal crete/anthracite interior is quite nice anyway and the faux-wood is barely noticable. My only comment would be that with kids you will be wanting seat covers anyway so what is under them becomes itterly irrelevant. The seats mark really easily so for peace of mind cover them.

I stay in hotels around there quite a lot and midweek they're flippin expensive. You should attempt to recoup some of the costs by sticking the roof up and letting me doss in it :thumb

Ha - you know what - I'll go and check the height of the garage to see if I can pop the roof!

Give Hugh in our sales team a call on 01403 581242 if you wanted to discuss options etc...The DSG is a lovely gearbox.

cheers

Quick update - placed our order today so can join the ranks of those waiting...have been quoted around 13 weeks which is end of Jan/Feb.

Got a decent deal in the end I think - 8% off list for the following spec:

180PS Manual
Natural Grey
Cascavel Anthracite/Silver
Black Awning
Parking Sensors
Privacy glass

We dithered over DSG for a while - until we tried a test drive and realised we really missed the satisfaction of changing gears ourselves! So not for us, but can certainly see why some people love them.

Can't wait for the New Year now!

Congratulations on your impending arrival :thumb