Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Squeaky tailgate chairs

Zebra

Zebra

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi folks,

Does anyone else have a loud squeaky noise coming from the tailgate chairs when driving along? Seems to be some wear in the outer armrests too. Never seemed to happen before I used them for the first time, now they seem a little loose and the black clip doesn’t seem that snug but they don’t seem to go in any other way. I could just pack it out with a rug or something but I’d have thought it shouldn’t be an issue in the first place.

Obvious I know but worth asking. Are the chairs upside down? Is the front central polystyrene block missing? (It helps separate the chairs to stop clattering and damage).
See here.

0292A66E-027D-4051-BA38-E66DEC1EA0B8.jpeg

Thanks, that looks about the same as mine, I don’t think they fit in upside down. The squeaking sometimes sounds like that noise you get when you run polystyrene so maybe one of the inserts is loose, I’ll go and check.

I had this and it turned out not to be the chairs. See text from my post here, maybe yours is the same:

I could push on the closed tailgate above the NS tail lamp which creaked, A LOT. I greased the little rubber buffer stop in that area and it still didn’t solve the problem.

Further down below the lights is a plastic channel on the body, which mates with a plastic protrusion on the tailgate. This was chafed, so I applied some white lithium grease and so far it’s been quiet.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, that’s good to know and sounds like you had quite a time chasing the noise down. I drove around yesterday without the chairs in and was squeak free so I’ve definitely done or not done something putting them back in.

Did you ever solve the problem with the squeaky chairs?

I ended up wrapping a towel around the ends, not ideal but seemed to stop it.

I had exactly same thing. I used some extra foam to pack the chairs. No it stopped. Definitely the chair rubbing against polystyrene liner, if you wiggle the chair, you get the noise.

One of the downside of the cali is the number of rattles and squeaks and rattles.

I had exactly same thing. I used some extra foam to pack the chairs. No it stopped. Definitely the chair rubbing against polystyrene liner, if you wiggle the chair, you get the noise.

One of the downside of the cali is the number of rattles and squeaks and rattles.
We put two spare cushions in with our chairs now. Problem solved.

VW said this is a common fault. Fixed my issue by they said by spraying the polystyrene with 'creosote'. Thought that was for painting fences but must have other uses. Apparently they use it at Audi too on convertible roof linings to protect joints over winter

i store the topper, windscreen cover, cushions etc if needed in here nice and snug and there is no movement at all.

Back