Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Squeeks, rattles and taps. Aaarrrgh!

P

PhillyWilly

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all.

I love our 18 plate Cali but it is driving me mad. Does anyone else have this problem?

It’s always packed up so to avoid noises and if we get any, I stop and sort it if there are contents moving round.

Over the last few months, Ive noticed it getting noisier and noisier and I can’t always identify where it is coming from.

1. There is one coming from inside the awning housing which is a biggy and doesn’t change at all when fiddled with.
2. Camping chairs in rear tailgate make a constant noise along to rubbing polystyrene.
3. Sink cooker fridge unit the tops seem to rattle but the sticky rubber feet are all still present and correct.

Knowing VW dealerships and their requirement to get jobs done quickly and efficiently wouldn’t necessarily work for these problems as I would say it needs time and patience. Do you think VW have an obligation to sort this because it’s driving me mad. If they do, I will send it in and get a courtesy car until it’s sorted but with these problems, I don’t have much hope somehow.

I could have a go myself but have limited time and inclination, especially given that what I would do would probably involve taking things apart and potentially invalidating warranty.

Anyone had similar experience?

Cheers.

Mine's very quiet but it's only a month old!
I'd say you have more time & inclination than any dealer to fix, would do a better job and would not cause further problems by taking things to bits...
I've read on these forums about the awning having a 'bumper' halfway inside which can unstick and cause the arms to rattle.
Try some silicone spray on the polystyrene?
We keep a mat of anti-slip towel over the burners (more as storage for use when cooking) but it probably keeps the potstands from rattling.

Good luck

Hi @PhillyWilly unfortunately rattles etc are only covered up to 6 months and 6000 miles that being said the squeak from the polystyrene holding the rear seats seems to becoming a regular issue with the latest calis and we have replaced quite a few for this problem under warranty with no issues. As for your awning most of the problem seems to be caused by the legs rattling I will post some pictures tomorrow on how to rectify this it’s a quick and easy fix.

Hi @PhillyWilly unfortunately rattles etc are only covered up to 6 months and 6000 miles that being said the squeak from the polystyrene holding the rear seats seems to becoming a regular issue with the latest calis and we have replaced quite a few for this problem under warranty with no issues. As for your awning most of the problem seems to be caused by the legs rattling I will post some pictures tomorrow on how to rectify this it’s a quick and easy fix.
Please do, getting fed up with mine rattling.

Please do, getting fed up with mine rattling.
As far as the Kitchen top is concerned. Make sure the Pot stands are pushed down evenly, as far as they will go, into the rubber grommets.
When you lower the Glass tops down, push down firmly over the Lock and make sure the Button pops out so they are secured properly.
Get a job lot of cheap Car wash sponges off eBay and a can of Silicone spray - a must have for rattle and squeak cure.

Fantastic! Thanks all. Very helpful. I’m going to get busy!!

Be patient you will get there. Ours is two and a half years old and even now have to go on a squeak / rattle safari from time to time.
Increasing level of noise? Have checked your Tambour wardrobe doors? The flexible sections can snap making the door very rattle prone. Check and if split make a warranty claim.

Rattle Safari..Lol. I relish a good rattle, I see them as a challenge. My old 2011 SE is now completely rattle free..most days.

Done dozens of things to get mine rattle free, but still not all is found and so it still rattles, squeecks, ...

Try not to listen to it, but sometimes it's all I hear.

So to stop the rattling awning you need to do the following
05F87BA5-8E27-4C13-AC81-4FBBF69E8910.jpeg
On the awning leg at the top when extended the leg you will find a spring, find a suitable hook and stretch this spring by a couple of inches be careful when doing so not to slip and have somebody holding the leg.
5F4EC283-0709-42F7-B1C2-C43972FBF7C6.jpeg44309921-7574-4BD5-BCA8-F498940EC5E7.jpeg
When you have stretched the spring you will notice it now requires more pressure to push the leg back in when stowing it this will stop it from rattling you will also need to check that the feet of the leg are pointing toward the vehicle and that the large felt pads are in place. See the following pictures.
3D32BB62-8E25-4F86-A8A2-5B8A1AA8B120.jpeg55C62730-3ADD-4255-B925-6C51C52CEFE6.jpegDFF88D70-8260-45BD-AF9E-437B30D6E415.jpegHope this helps.

So to stop the rattling awning you need to do the following
View attachment 46353
On the awning leg at the top when extended the leg you will find a spring, find a suitable hook and stretch this spring by a couple of inches be careful when doing so not to slip and have somebody holding the leg.
View attachment 46355View attachment 46356
When you have stretched the spring you will notice it now requires more pressure to push the leg back in when stowing it this will stop it from rattling you will also need to check that the feet of the leg are pointing toward the vehicle and that the large felt pads are in place. See the following pictures.
View attachment 46357View attachment 46358View attachment 46359Hope this helps.
Very useful. Thanks! Are the felt pads for the feet new? Not sure I’ve got them

My wind out awning had an internal rattle & the cure was to gently tighten up the Nyloc Bolts that secure the folding/extending arms to the main inner casing; they had become loose. Problem sorted!

Are you sure that it is not the sliding table? It is very easy to slide it home by the fridge without locking it. You need to slide it home and at the same time press the table top towards the wall of the fridge. It will then lock . Seems counter intuitive I know but it does work . Good luck with the other noises, I know how annoying it can be

Hi

I put a strip of self adhesive felt tape along the length of the inside of the flap that lifts up when you extend the awning, that cured an annoying rattle for me, no matter how tight I did the awning up it still rattled - the felt tape is a great help, we also put it on the inside of the table. Wherever I saw a contact point I put some tape, a much quieter Cali!

I lately discovered that the sliding doors of the kitchen unit were rattling too. I put some felt (no tape, but somewhat thicker) on the underside of the 2 doors. They slide a little worse now, but the rattling is much less now.
I still got some squeecking from the rear seat. But I can't really find out where it really comes from. Even on smooth asphalt, where there is a slight uneven surface, the seat starts squeecking. Not very loud, but it gets annoying when it keeps on squeecking.

We have a couple of squeaks that we still haven’t solved after 3 years.

One seems to be coming from above the passengers head/ “B” pillar. The other is that the drivers seat squeaks when you sit on it in “camping mode” but not in “driving mode”.

Anyone else have the same, or any ideas on the source?

If such a man would exist, het would be multibillionaire!

... it's not me... :confused:

Have to say the post from @VW Guru was awesome.

So today having not quite realised how bad the rattle was from my awning I did the following.

- stretched the leg springs as per his post
- added some felt (softer part of velcro tape) behind the part the leg feet brackets sit. Mine didn’t have any.
- replace the rubber pads on the rear with the new plastic type.

Just drove home via the lanes in my area which are ever so slightly bumpy and rough and not a dickie bird from the awning.

Amazing!!!!

A couple of plastic wedges inserted into the gap between the folded up awning leg and the main body of the housing sorted the rattle for me. I think the wedges were leftovers from spacers I used for laying laminate flooring. I can post pics if anyone is interested.

Back