Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Standard cabin heating problems in a 2012 T5 California

J

JerPyr

Guest User
Hi, I'm located in France.

At end of summer I bought a 2012 California from the Alsace region near Germany and did not think to check the "normal" heating system before buying. Now we are in winter, it turns out that even when on maximum heat and full output it hardly heats up at all...the air that comes out of the vents is not cold but definitely not even warm. I'm guessing somehow cold outside air is getting into the system etc. Thankfully the heated seats work well but it's winter and I need to find a solution. Any idea what the problem could be and how to solve it?

On a related issue...I am wondering whether I can plug in a small auxiliary heater (1500 W) to the 230V grounded safety socket on the side of the kitchen unitwhile driving to at least keep my feet warm. Will this work? Is it safe? etc.

Thank you for your help

Could be as simple as an airlock in the heater matrix, bleed the radiator with the heating system on full heat and the fan running.

Hi, I'm located in France.

At end of summer I bought a 2012 California from the Alsace region near Germany and did not think to check the "normal" heating system before buying. Now we are in winter, it turns out that even when on maximum heat and full output it hardly heats up at all...the air that comes out of the vents is not cold but definitely not even warm. I'm guessing somehow cold outside air is getting into the system etc. Thankfully the heated seats work well but it's winter and I need to find a solution. Any idea what the problem could be and how to solve it?

On a related issue...I am wondering whether I can plug in a small auxiliary heater (1500 W) to the 230V grounded safety socket on the side of the kitchen unitwhile driving to at least keep my feet warm. Will this work? Is it safe? etc.

Thank you for your help
1. Your idea of using the kitchen unit socket. NO. Only works when on external electrical hookup.
2. You can run the Diesel Parking Heater whilst driving.
3. You need to get the engine/coolant powered system checked out.

Does the rear heating system work correctly?

1. Your idea of using the kitchen unit socket. NO. Only works when on external electrical hookup.
2. You can run the Diesel Parking Heater whilst driving.
3. You need to get the engine/coolant powered system checked out.

Does the rear heating system work correctly?
Hi WelshGas,
Thanks for your useful answers!
Re point 3, we just did a regular maintenance checkup, not sure if they checked out the engine/coolant powered system, I'll look on the invoice...In any case, why do we need to check this? What is the connection with the heating system?

Have not checked the rear heating system. Will do so tomorrow and get back to you!
Thanks again

Hi WelshGas,
Thanks for your useful answers!
Re point 3, we just did a regular maintenance checkup, not sure if they checked out the engine/coolant powered system, I'll look on the invoice...In any case, why do we need to check this? What is the connection with the heating system?

Have not checked the rear heating system. Will do so tomorrow and get back to you!
Thanks again
Well I presume the “ normal” heating system you mentioned is the cab system which is part of the engine coolant system.
The engine coolant provides the heat source for the cabin heater and the rear heater.
If both are cold then hot engine coolant is not being circulated. If only the cabin heater is cold then 2 possibilities. Air lock in that front heater matrix or a problem with the air flaps directing air over the heater matrix.
You need to provide a bit more information I’m afraid.
1. Which heater system, Manual or 3 zone electronic Climatronic system.
2. Air Con front or front & rear.

Back