Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

starter battery

Tompoole

Tompoole

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
ok, so, had issue with van not starting. VW had it MON TUEs and found no fault.
today ive been out and had a drive and bought a ring battery charger and monitor...... I checked van after run and it showed battery needs replacing ,battery test shows 490amps and 72% advices to replace battery at these readings...... monitor shows battery 80% charged and 12.4v this after vw have said its ok and been on charge since tues and a good run today......
what should I do ? wait for it to fail again and go through same procedure of vw insisting no issue , or just replace at my cost ?

Get a second opinion.

Order a replacement online inc fitting through RAC/AA (members save on £25 fitting fee). They will fully test the old battery, and will only replace it if it needs replacing, otherwise will give you a full refund. If required they can also recode the battery to the ECU.

If something else should be causing the fault, it’s likely that they will find it whilst testing your battery. Most AA/RAC have great VW knowledge as they tend to drive around in them.

By the monitor, do you mean the control panel in an SE / Ocean? If so, it’s the leisure battery charge and not the engine battery.

By the monitor, do you mean the control panel in an SE / Ocean? If so, it’s the leisure battery charge and not the engine battery.

no , the charger gives a readout of battery condition in amps and volts

no , the charger gives a readout of battery condition in amps and volts
Remember with the Smart Alternator etc: the battery is only charged to 80% capacity to accommodate the regenerative braking function etc:

Remember with the Smart Alternator etc: the battery is only charged to 80% capacity to accommodate the regenerative braking function etc:

yep I understand that , but charger shows battery isn’t holding Amps
Which explains why it goes flat within a week if not used .

Are you still in warranty? If so may be worth pushing back to VW and providing your test results.

Are you still in warranty? If so may be worth pushing back to VW and providing your test results.
Trying to do two things at once, I read that as physically pushing the Cali back to the dealer. Numpty mode...

Trying to do two things at once, I read that as physically pushing the Cali back to the dealer. Numpty mode...

yes , Vw won’t take any 3rd party battery test ,from me or the AA . If their device says it’s okthat’s it

Back