Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stealthy - ish solar Panel instal

Me five.

What's the gap between the curve and the roof line? Is it rigid?

I padded mine out with some larger foam strips as my panel started to sag a bit.

Me five.

I padded mine out with some larger foam strips as my panel started to sag a bit.

The panel has curve rolled into it but under its own weight it will flatten. When it’s bolted down to the channels it arcs back to its intended shape and due to the angles of the plate it won’t sag down so long as it’s bolted as the bolts stop it expanding its width.

I think it’s probably 10/12mm above the curved roof. (Will measure and take a pic for you).

When glueing the solar panel on, it had the weight of the solar plus 9kg of water bottles spread equally across its width. No sag. Stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can get them here but pricy. Onlineshop.php Onlineshop.php

Yes that was my first call. Theirs is definitely slicker than mine and looks like it almost sits on the roof - I think it has rubber feet. I don’t think their price is unreasonable but when you add Freight and Tax to the UK it does become quite prohibitive for us. If I was in euro land I would have just bought one. I’m not so i started @rsing about in the garage making templates.

I have two 120w panels and I get about 160 which seems normal according to Roger.
So about 70w on your panel sounds right.
Agree with the mount, very clean.

Hi @kave
I just popped to the high street for a haircut and the sun must’ve come out. Does this mean it hit 70w? You were bang on if so - do the lottery tonight!

I’m pleased with the result but she cut it a bit short I think.

3d1e0f135881adf4e80e9c75346e3826.jpg

Btw, are our leisure batteries AGM ‘spiral cell’? (Comes up as an option on the app)

I have always left my victron on the default setting believe it should be fine but others may know better.

That is good because the bandings show its going into different charging modes with the top banding basically meaning its gone into float charging which is a sign its close to full.

Sorry just updated teh above I think it goes three cahrging states shown in tha tgraph; Bulk/Absorption/Float

Sorry just updated teh above I think it goes three cahrging states shown in tha tgraph; Bulk/Absorption/Float
ah ok thanks. Do you guys still bother to plug in to top up before a trip even when you have solar?

it's a bit tedious for me as I live in an apartment block so I have to borrow an adaptor with a round pin to plug in an extension lead to drag across the underground car park and hook up - have to do it late at night too so there's less chance of anyone a) tripping over it and b) complaining.

I've worked out though, that it probably costs less than 3 pence to top up the last 20% of the leisure battery ... I'm ready for that at the next residents meeting :D. In my mind's eye, it get's brought up under 'Any other business' - I nonchalantly toss the frowning committee 50 pence to cover the whole year and say - "get yourself something with the change...", my spurs clinking as I walk out...... 3-2-1 I'm back in the room. Kiddin obviously.

In theory you shouldn't need to connect it upto the mains, may be worth keeping an eye on it in winter though.

Me five.

As promised, here’s the photo. It’s approx 10mm.
5e5e8aa14b6a3f69f8f1f4b2899a95ff.jpg

As promised, here’s the photo. It’s approx 10mm.
That's great. Thank you.

Ours has foam padding on it so that the aluminium frame doesn't rub on the roof.

Your design is much better and clears the roof completely. I'd certainly be interested in costs for this.

Me also interested in 2 aluminium panels

Snap,My previous set panel failed so decided do my own thing.

got my panel from the Solar TX in Switzerland. Wife is Swiss so had Swiss francs in CH, then bought panel in UK and used controller etc from previous setup

View attachment 46562

View attachment 46563
Nice. Is your solar panel attached to the aluminium plate with rivets?
The bolts holding the panel to the roof rails look neat too. How do they work?

Nice. Is your solar panel attached to the aluminium plate with rivets?
The bolts holding the panel to the roof rails look neat too. How do they work?
sikaflex in black Marine grade.
solar panel does have holes but wanted flat under side and if panel fails didn’t want to have to drill more holes for a difference size panel used a clear wrap material on ridges in roof to protect paint

Nice, it will be nice to see if it is as good as a non black panel since I guess this will get much warmer and thus have lesser power?

Agree. It looks really good but I too would have concerns about it getting too hot.

This is one of the neatest set-ups I’ve seen so far! Since solar is my next big project I’d be interested in the costs for two Ali panels & fixings too. So much better than the angled metal “frames” I’ve seen.

Back