Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steering pulling to the left

David Bailey

David Bailey

Jaunty
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all, if have read all the previous posts from people complaining of the steering pull, but none seem to have resolved...or I am hoping have found an answer and hang updated the post.

I have had this problem with my T6 DSG 4 motion since getting it with 17k miles. It’s been back to the dealer twice...first time they put it up and checked the suspension, wheels, tyres, shocks and all fine. Next time - because of course they don’t have the alignment kit - they sent it off for a full alignment. No improvement, in fact it’s probably worse.

It’s pulls quite severely, worse the slower I go....I.e more stable on the motorway. On an a road if I let go of the wheel it would drive off the road within a few meters. Interestingly in France the camber compensates and it is perfect.

I am desperate to fix, and thinking of four new tyres, maybe lower the suspension...as I wanted to do that anyway...as a bit of a reset.

Any advice gratefully received. My right bicep is now much stronger than my left from trying to keep the van in the road.

I am hoping there is actually a good dealer out there who can properly diagnose the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s worst coasting I would say. Not particularly worse under braking or accelerating.

Thanks for asking I should have said it does not seem to be the brakes or torque steer if that’s what you had in mind.

In that case then it’s probably something of nothing.
Might seem silly, but have you got a full fuel tank, water tank and cupboards full of food? This could be a problem if the weight is all on one side. Just a thought.
Other than that your steering rack may need adjusting if the tracking and camber etc is all ok.

It’s worst coasting I would say. Not particularly worse under braking or accelerating.

Thanks for asking I should have said it does not seem to be the brakes or torque steer if that’s what you had in mind.
Tyre wear?
There should be some if the alignment is wrong.

Hi all, if have read all the previous posts from people complaining of the steering pull, but none seem to have resolved...or I am hoping have found an answer and hang updated the post.

I have had this problem with my T6 DSG 4 motion since getting it with 17k miles. It’s been back to the dealer twice...first time they put it up and checked the suspension, wheels, tyres, shocks and all fine. Next time - because of course they don’t have the alignment kit - they sent it off for a full alignment. No improvement, in fact it’s probably worse.

It’s pulls quite severely, worse the slower I go....I.e more stable on the motorway. On an a road if I let go of the wheel it would drive off the road within a few meters. Interestingly in France the camber compensates and it is perfect.

I am desperate to fix, and thinking of four new tyres, maybe lower the suspension...as I wanted to do that anyway...as a bit of a reset.

Any advice gratefully received. My right bicep is now much stronger than my left from trying to keep the van in the road.

I am hoping there is actually a good dealer out there who can properly diagnose the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Was the wheel alignment carried out with the engine running and the steering wheel locked level ? Sometimes the steering angle sensor can mess things up after a wheel alignment is carried out without the power steering pressurised. I would take it to a tyre centre that does laser alignment, and ask them to do the check and adjustment as I described.

Was the wheel alignment carried out with the engine running and the steering wheel locked level ? Sometimes the steering angle sensor can mess things up after a wheel alignment is carried out without the power steering pressurised. I would take it to a tyre centre that does laser alignment, and ask them to do the check and adjustment as I described.

Great tip thanks I will try that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyre wear?
There should be some if the alignment is wrong.

The tyres are fine...confirmed by Kwikfit and the dealer :(

The tyres are fine...confirmed by Kwikfit and the dealer :(

If that is the case then I, personally, would put it down to the Camber.
Mine has always had the Steering wheel Off-Centre to the R in the UK, more so on B roads and virtually straight on Motorways and the reverse on the Continent. Take hands off wheel and will drift to L in UK and R in Europe. Under braking it brakes in a straight line.
No abnormal tyre wear but mine is a 4Motion.

The seven calis I have owned all pull to the left. The 4wd is worse. I have put it down to a sensitivity to camber.

Wow that’s a lot of calis. Thanks this is very reassuring, my fear was I had bought a dud. Thanks all for your help.

My steering was pulling a little to the left and I noticed outer edges of front wheels (just one year old) were badly worn on outer edges. My problem appears to be worn front control arm bushings after 38k miles.
Worth getting wheel alignment, camber, etc checked also.
Also, apparently front subframe can be off centre if it’s been detached previously (eg to repair clutch) and not recentred correctly(!). The main bolts fit through wide holes which allow for adjustment. Check service history. Just a thought.

Previously my 204 dsg pulled very slightly to the left, but since I recently had my suspension lowered by Vertu Vw in Hereford it’s now straight as an arrow , they did as a matter of course check the wheel alignment so I’m not sure which has had the greater effect

Mine was doing this at 30000miles. Initially had the tracking done at a local garage which made no difference.
Took it to ATS Euromaster for a 4 wheel computer alignment. On my first visit they told me they couldn’t do it as they only had T5 settings and not T6.
I returned yesterday after they promised their computer had been updated. Alas, it hadn’t but they did the alignment anyway to T5 settings (apparently the same underneath anyway).
I watched them make detailed adjustments to all 4 wheels but most attention was to the rear two.
I’m happy to say this has cured the problem and the “drift to the left” has gone.
Happy days.

Back