Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stereo options - what’s the difference?

B

benico

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi - I am a little bit confused re. The various stereo options for a t6 and what they can do. Can anybody tell me if it is possible to play music through a iPhone using the Bluetooth on the basic standard stereo? (or is it just for phone calls?) also does the standard stereo have a usb/aux input either somewhere on the dash or at the back of the unit (so only accessible when the unit is out)

Would also be good to know what the permutations are re. additional speakers - does the premium set up have more speakersor just bigger better ones in the same locations?

Thanks
Ben

Hi Ben
I have the top spec stereo but can answer a few of your questions.
The additional speaker upgrade goes in the dash top storage. I don’t have this and find the stereo good without it (my previous AmG had a Bose speaker and the Cali sounds as good).
You can’t play iPhone via blue tooth only by a usb cable or App connect.(at least on top spec stereo unit).
I have app connect and play I phone via this (you can also play texts , do sat nav and do your phone calls- IMHO it’s the key radio feature.

Even on my top of range unit the screen size is small compared with my merc so go for the largest screen size you can afford - hope that hrlps :thumb

That’s useful to know . I m looking at secondhand vans - was looking at one with the standard Bluetooth ( and no aux input) - but from what you say we won’t be able to stream music through it so not ideal for us. Ta

And apologies to the mods for posting in wrong thread

I think the advice above is incorrect. I have the app connect carplay upgrade and I can either plug it in (iphone)and get full control via the lightning connector or connect via media and bluetooth and then I get wireless music BUT its more basic controls.
Most VAG group bluetooth from about 2014 /2015 can do streaming. Its usually dependent on the generation of bluetooth module fitted. if the head unit has a media button then it should work.
My skoda yeti 2014 has very basic head unit but still streams music.
Suggest you try it to see.

You do lose a bit of storage on the dash with the upgraded speakers and there are extra speakers in the high level cupboard over the bed, which takes a little space, but I am told by those who know a lot more about these things than I do, that the sound quality is really good.

Thanks all - going to have a look (and listen) at one tomorrow.

Connect your iPhone via BT in the media folder and it streams music easily over BT.

I think the advice above is incorrect. I have the app connect carplay upgrade and I can either plug it in (iphone)and get full control via the lightning connector or connect via media and bluetooth and then I get wireless music BUT its more basic controls.
Most VAG group bluetooth from about 2014 /2015 can do streaming. Its usually dependent on the generation of bluetooth module fitted. if the head unit has a media button then it should work.
My skoda yeti 2014 has very basic head unit but still streams music.
Suggest you try it to see.
Hi @Legin and @benico your right
Press media and iPhone will stream audio via blue tooth
Also works in my sons basic polo 2017
I’ve learnt something from this thread :thumb

Not sure about the most basic system but I have the Discover Media option ZI7 and here’s what I know:

It has 6 speakers and sounds pretty decent when playing media from my iPhone but the standard (non DAB) radio sounds rubbish. (Mine’s German but I think all uk models now have DAB so you may be ok on that front?)
It has speed sensitive volume which you can adjust.

The speakers are A pillar, front doors and either side of the rear bench in my Beach. I didn’t have Apple CarPlay but had it retrofitted in an hour by VW for around £220. Worth doing for me as streaming net radio through the phone is way better quality than the analogue radio and a kind of DAB workaround).
CarPlay also gives you some voice control if you long press the voice button on the steering wheel. Hey Siri also still works.

There’s an SD card slot on each side of the screen. One is permanently occupied by the sat nav map data card and the other is free for Music and allegedly, photos but I’ve never tried those. I HAVE tried movies loaded onto an SD card but there’s no picture on screen - just the audio from the movie - maybe this is down to the format I’d chosen and I’d be interested to hear if anyone’s succeeded in playing movies on it. There’s a CD slot. Never tried it. Now wondering if it plays DVD

There’s a USB / aux connection in the glovebox and this works with iPods AND phones, with control via the 6.33” touch screen or the MF steering wheel if you option that.
As someone previously mentioned, it also streams via Bluetooth showing album art etc, sound quality seems the same as using CarPlay.

It also has VW’s CarNet optioned. This is useful as you can look up a destination on your phone when you’re away from the vehicle and it transfers to the car when it goes online.

I wireless hotspot the unit to my iPhone but seems I have to remember to do this every time I get in the car. It’s used for traffic data and dynamic routing etc on the sat nav.

I reckon this standard set up is pretty decent but would benefit from some sound insulation in the front doors and maybe an under seat sub if you could be bothered (don’t know if it has a sub ‘line-out’) but it’s decent enough for me not to bother with either. I’m not sure I’d want to sacrifice the very useful top centre dash storage for the sake of another speaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks All - I have just bought a Beach from a main dealer - It had the basic stereo so I used the accessories vouchers scheme to upgrade the to the Kenwood one in the accessories catalogue which looks fully loaded ( think there may even be coffee machine in there somewhere!)

My next question is, as I will be given the old one does it have a secondhand value or will it be locked/coded to the van it has come out off?

Ta
B

Back