Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

STOLEN

Not sure remote engine kill is legal in the uk sadly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty sure car theft isn’t legal either.
Fight fire with fire as far as I’m concerned.
If I can kill the engine by the time it’s at the end of the drive. I can’t see a problem

I wonder about a remote relay.
Once they drive to the end of the drive, you zap it and the van loses its power. Disconnects the battery or alternator. Making it stationary...??
Perhaps better to fit a Ghost Immobiliser so it can’t ever be driven down the drive in the first place.

4168e6d20e1d235301cbc127605a13d4--german-shepherd-dogs-german-shepherds.jpg

Not sure remote engine kill is legal in the uk sadly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Used to have an tracker on a previously owned Motorhome which sent a text if moved/started and I could respond with a code to stop the engine if I so wished. Back in 2010.

Yes as much as I agree with the sentiment it's still illegal, which is why modern keyless cars can be driven off without the key but wont restart once stopped. If there was an accident involving 3rd parties because you stopped the engine of a moving vehicle, you may well get in trouble. Sad that is the case but it is the reality of it. At least if you are informed you can choose if you want to take the risk.

No reason you couldn't use the feature to disable the engine between uses before it even gets started, but then a hidden switch or similar could do the same.

Yes as much as I agree with the sentiment it's still illegal, which is why modern keyless cars can be driven off without the key but wont restart once stopped. If there was an accident involving 3rd parties because you stopped the engine of a moving vehicle, you may well get in trouble. Sad that is the case but it is the reality of it. At least if you are informed you can choose if you want to take the risk.
So a little like driving at 22mph in a 20 zone. Illegal but plenty take the risk of killing or seriously injuring someone by driving at that speed.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Keyless cars are a PITA.

Mrs B's Skoda has it. The other day I had driven said car into our local town and needed to go into a shop. There was nowhere to park so I swopped over with Mrs B and disappeared into the shop whilst she went round the block. Well that was the theory at least. In practice I had gone off with the keys in my pocket and she was stranded outside in a dead car whilst holding up several irate honking motorists. The plan would have worked if I hadn't turned the ignition off when I jumped out. Needless to say, she wasn't amused.

On another occasion I was taking our eight year old grandson to Cubs and he had opened the car with the keys as he likes to do. (The person with the keys only has to stand near the car and bingo they can magically open the car with no hands). As long as the keys are somewhere in the car the engine can be started merely by pressing a button. I had driven about two miles away from the Cubs hut when it dawned on me that he still had the keys in his pocket.

So for the dosy or those that have other things on their minds these keyless entry systems are a potential nightmare and possibly even dangerous under certain circumstances.

I read somewhere recently that apparently, they have also been responsible for a number of deaths. I am not fully aware of the circumstances but I believe that with more advanced keyless entry systems, the engine will restart if the battery level gets too low. For this to happen the owner would probably have left the vehicle without pressing the ignition button to kill the system. I've done it several times. it's easily done. I believe these reported deaths (if true) have occurred where someone has parked in an integral garage and the engine has restarted to charge the low battery. The CO fumes have then travelled through the house with fatal consequences. I am not sure where these fatalities have occurred or if it's possible for this to happen on European spec vehicles. So beware.

I just Googled it and here is an article:
http://www.theweek.co.uk/93624/keyless-cars-causing-dozens-of-deaths
This wasn't the piece that I read which went into more detail. The above article says that people are simply parking in their integral garage and not turning the ignition off. The issue is more complex than that otherwise why wouldn't this issue effect cars with conventional ignition systems as well?

Personally I'd much rather have a conventional key ignition.

Last edited:

No reason you couldn't use the feature to disable the engine between uses before it even gets started, but then a hidden switch or similar could do the same.
There are 2 codes for the back2you.
one that stops the vehicle immediately and the other below a certain speed.
Regardless of which you choose, if you wire the relay into starter relay fuse then you can send the code and wait for the start stop to kick in and which point it wont restart. This is both safe and legal.

Hope it’s found soon and undamaged. Vile people!Scum!! I’ll keep note of reg no. In case it travels south

Regardless of which you choose, if you wire the relay into starter relay fuse then you can send the code and wait for the start stop to kick in and which point it wont restart. This is both safe and legal.
Safe? Maybe not for all the motorists who come across an abandoned van in the fast lane of a motorway once the traffic jam clears.

What if they switch off the stop/start...?
Can you activate once the vehicle reaches say 10mph...?

Safe? Maybe not for all the motorists who come across an abandoned van in the fast lane of a motorway once the traffic jam clears.

Moo point.
No different to a car broken down in the fast lane. sing happens.

Moo point.
No different to a car broken down in the fast lane. poo happens.
Apart from it being an intentional disabling of a vehicle that caused the massive pile up... me Lord.

Apart from it being an intentional disabling of a vehicle that caused the massive pile up... me Lord.
Disabling a stationary stolen vehicle seems significantly less dangerous than not disabling a stationary stolen vehicle given the way some thieves drive stolen vehicles.

Disabling a stationary stolen vehicle seems significantly less dangerous than not disabling a stationary stolen vehicle given the way some thieves drive stolen vehicles.

Good point Amarillo.
If someone has issues with stationary vehicles, perhaps it’s time to reconsider driving ...

Good point Amarillo.
If someone has issues with stationary vehicles, perhaps it’s time to reconsider driving ...
I and I’m sure a judge would have issue with an illegally remotely disabled van in the fast lane of a busy motorway. Remotely disabling if moving or not could be very dangerous and also adds another way to steal your van through hacking.

I for one drive stolen vehicles very carefully. Don’t want to draw attention....

I and I’m sure a judge would have issue with an illegally remotely disabled van in the fast lane of a busy motorway. Remotely disabling if moving or not could be very dangerous and also adds another way to steal your van through hacking.
I would expect a conditional discharge for such a crime considering the mitigating circumstances. How would the perpetrator know that the vehicle was in the outside lane of the motorway at the time?

That won’t cut it, the judge will say how do you know it isn’t in the overtaking lane?

That won’t cut it, the judge will say how do you know it isn’t in the overtaking lane?

"M'Lord- you are right, I did not know it was in the outside lane on the motorway. All I knew is that it was stationary, had been taken without my consent and was therefore in the possession of an uninsured driver. I took what I reasonably believed to be a prudent action and disabled it when stationary to prevent the uninsured driver from continuing to pose a risk to himself and others."

Track it, follow it, stop it, shoot driver! problem solved :) (regards Oscar)
This message was proudly sponsored by the NRA.

I love how the worst possible (will probably never happen) scenarios appear.
But most lightly, your disturbed in the night. You see your vehicle drive away and 20s later it’s disabled at the top of your road.

For me, it’s a great idea. More than worth the risk.
Going to look into it ASAP...

Back