Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stranded in Scotland

C

Chrisp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are currently without our 10 month old 6,000 mile Ocean after being forced to stop when the oil temperature needle was shooting up to the red zone. I stopped immediately, just outside a house with a T6 conversion in the driveway. We had just started a planned 3 day journey back to Sheffield. VW assist sent the AA. While I was waiting I searched this forum for coolant problems and narrowed down the issue to either EGR or crack in a cylinder! When the AA man refilled the coolant, and it was still leaking, but no sign of it externally, I told him this and he agreed. He decided it wasn't leaking into the engine because then the oil would be milky. We opted for a transfer of the van back to Sheffield for repair and we got a replacement car and headed straight home, arriving 1am after this happened about midday. We were so lucky to have broken down outside the house of a friendly family who let us use their house and garden to keep us comfortable and our three year old entertained. It took two days to arrive at the Sheffield garage (overnight in compound in Scotland, one day transfer - swapped half way onto another trailer - and another night in Sheffield). SHeffield confirmed the problem to be EGR; after the weekend it will be two days for the part to arrive and another day to repair, so we are looking at Wednesday to get our van back.

From what I have read on here, this is quite a rare occurrence, especially with such a young vehicle, there's nothing that might have prevented it, and we were just unlucky. Is this right?

What should I be asking of/saying to the repair garage when I collect? And is there anything I should be looking out for after the repair? Is there chance anything else might have been damaged as a result of this?

All comments, ideas, and sympathy welcomed!

Sorry to hear about your breakdown, hope it is sorted soon. You will have the reassurance of the rest of your VW warranty following repair, did you take the extended warranty to give you a total of 5 years cover.

You have my full sympathy!! Gutted for you!!!! Hopefully it's get sorted asap!!!!

forced to stop when the oil temperature needle was shooting up to the red zone. !

Not wishing to divert the thread but where's the oil temperature needle ?

The gauge in the rev counter is for water temperature, oil temperature can be displayed as a number on the MFD unless it changed for the T6

First of all well done for spotting it on the needle, I'm not sure how obvious that is from the comfort of my sofa but it's made me think twice.
Secondly, sorry to hear it.
Third, yes what a great familt helping you out like that....restores a little more of my faith in Human nature.
Forth, please keep us updated as I'm sure we all hope it's not a wide spread issue (though strength in numbers for those it happens to is a bonus).
Best of luck in arriving at a complete resolution.

Sorry to hear about your breakdown, hope it is sorted soon. You will have the reassurance of the rest of your VW warranty following repair, did you take the extended warranty to give you a total of 5 years cover.
Yes I got the 5 years, and 3 years VW Assist is looking quite valuable too.

Not wishing to divert the thread but where's the oil temperature needle ?

The gauge in the rev counter is for water temperature, oil temperature can be displayed as a number on the MFD unless it changed for the T6
ah, ok, that makes sense; yes it would be the water temperature. My ignorance of these things is a bit worrying.

Gosh - this makes me feel very lucky. 50,000 Km around Europe and nothing worse than a puncture in Sicily running out of windscreen wash in Plovdiv, and flattening my battery in Braşov.

It sounds like the family whose home you broke down outside were real stars. Good luck with the repair.

We are currently without our 10 month old 6,000 mile Ocean after being forced to stop when the oil temperature needle was shooting up to the red zone. I stopped immediately, just outside a house with a T6 conversion in the driveway. We had just started a planned 3 day journey back to Sheffield. VW assist sent the AA. While I was waiting I searched this forum for coolant problems and narrowed down the issue to either EGR or crack in a cylinder! When the AA man refilled the coolant, and it was still leaking, but no sign of it externally, I told him this and he agreed. He decided it wasn't leaking into the engine because then the oil would be milky. We opted for a transfer of the van back to Sheffield for repair and we got a replacement car and headed straight home, arriving 1am after this happened about midday. We were so lucky to have broken down outside the house of a friendly family who let us use their house and garden to keep us comfortable and our three year old entertained. It took two days to arrive at the Sheffield garage (overnight in compound in Scotland, one day transfer - swapped half way onto another trailer - and another night in Sheffield). SHeffield confirmed the problem to be EGR; after the weekend it will be two days for the part to arrive and another day to repair, so we are looking at Wednesday to get our van back.

From what I have read on here, this is quite a rare occurrence, especially with such a young vehicle, there's nothing that might have prevented it, and we were just unlucky. Is this right?

What should I be asking of/saying to the repair garage when I collect? And is there anything I should be looking out for after the repair? Is there chance anything else might have been damaged as a result of this?

Sod's Law I'm afraid. That is why there is a warranty. Just check the Coolant level regularly for a few weeks, especially after a longish trip when the engine gets warmed up, but wait until cool. This should detect any problems or air-locks if the level drops, but this is probably the last you'll hear of it for many 1000's of miles.

Update: got the van back on Tuesday after almost a week. All good now hopefully; and a very expensive affair for VW, what with parts, labour, hire car, and carrying my van 300 miles home; dread to think how much! nice to know there still 4+ years warranty to run.

Pleased to hear you have your van back, did the dealership say what they actually fixed? It would be useful to know what to look out for. I had a problem around the new year with engine oil in the coolant header tank which seemed to be a known issue in some of the T6 vans. It was quickly fixed by VW. You were very fortunate to stop by a helpful, friendly family.

What was Scotland like...?
Thinking of perhaps heading up there next week. Are midges still active?

P.s glad your sorted

Pleased to hear you have your van back, did the dealership say what they actually fixed? It would be useful to know what to look out for. I had a problem around the new year with engine oil in the coolant header tank which seemed to be a known issue in some of the T6 vans. It was quickly fixed by VW. You were very fortunate to stop by a helpful, friendly family.
They replaced the EGR valve/system/unit??? EGR something. Nearly £500 for the part.

What was Scotland like...?
Thinking of perhaps heading up there next week. Are midges still active?

P.s glad your sorted
We were on the east coast, so no midges. I heard from neighbours there were no midges hardly in the western isles too though.

They replaced the EGR valve/system/unit??? EGR something. Nearly £500 for the part.

Many thanks for your fast reply. Glad your issue was resolved. My problem was a plastic washer in the oil cooler which was allowing oil to go from the engine into the cooling system. VW assist diagnosed the problem and took it to my local dealership who fixed it the following day. I would imagine the part was very small cost, but the labour for dismantling the system and flushing the contaminated oil out was a big bill. Thank goodness for warranty.

I

Glad you got this sorted. We are experiencing similar problems with our T6. This year it has spent about 4 weeks in the dealer whilst they try and get to the bottom of the problem. Despite bmme telling them that I suspect the problem is likely to be a cracked cylinder head or EGR needs replacing (thanks be to this forum do the sharing of invaluable info) we are still no further forward. Latest in the saga is that they are following all the ways and steps laid out by VW and then on Thursday last week (had it since Monday) realises they needed a “special tool” to do the next test. Tool arrived on Saturday. On Monday they realised it’s the wrong tool. Correct tool arrives this Saturday. . It’s like the key stone cops. It would be funny if it wasn’t a £52k vehicle. Apologies for ranting.

Glad you got this sorted. We are experiencing similar problems with our T6. This year it has spent about 4 weeks in the dealer whilst they try and get to the bottom of the problem. Despite bmme telling them that I suspect the problem is likely to be a cracked cylinder head or EGR needs replacing (thanks be to this forum do the sharing of invaluable info) we are still no further forward. Latest in the saga is that they are following all the ways and steps laid out by VW and then on Thursday last week (had it since Monday) realises they needed a “special tool” to do the next test. Tool arrived on Saturday. On Monday they realised it’s the wrong tool. Correct tool arrives this Saturday. . It’s like the key stone cops. It would be funny if it wasn’t a £52k vehicle. Apologies for ranting.

Can’t believe this is still going on @Trev :headbang please let us know how your situation continues. What engine/ gearbox combination is you cali again ?

Can’t believe this is still going on @Trev :headbang please let us know how your situation continues. What engine/ gearbox combination is you cali again ?
Hi vwguru. We have a 150 DSG. Registered Nov 16. It’s also due the roof recall so they will do that as well. Presumably while they wait for the tool to arrive. Makes me wonder how many tests they have to do given they have had it over a week. Will update my “Coolant “ post once it gets sorted.

Back