Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Strange reasons for not buying a Cali

KernowLad said:
soulstyledevon said:
That Mercedes Marco Polo Activity looks very interesting. Will definetlely check it out when it's released. If I'm honest, I'm sick of seeing T5 & T4s...!!! Seems like I can't drive a few miles until bumping into another one.
Be interesting to see how Mercedes have tackled things

If they did a 4matic with the V6 diesel engine, that would be beyond awesome!

The video mentions 4wd option. Can't see the V6 landing on it. But, hey give Merc a ring and suggest it. :cool:
I do personally like the styling and it won't ever be a popular as the VW because of the so called cool factor. Which to be honest is just another plus point for Mercedes.

The Mercedes it's already release, they did last Friday at "caravan salon düsseldorf 2015". Looks like price will start from around 38900€.

Also looks like at tge German Mercedes web page you already can "play" with the online congurator (providing your German is good enought)

BTW, at caravan salon düsseldorf 2015 VW is showing the California T5 numbe 50.000, so that's the maximun of then you can bump on the roads :laugh2

Just come back from the caravan salon and the Marco Polo is very similar to the Cali in layout but that is where the compariosn stops. It is made from much higher quality materials, it just feels more luxurious inside. Also the dash is gorgeous and makes the T5 dash feel very old fashioned. It just feels a much brigter place to be without the dull grey of the Cali.

If I was in the market for a LHD camper then the Marco Polo is a no brainer, especially with that price tag, if it came to the UK I would sell my Cali and buy one.

14C977-008.jpg 14C930-069-low-res-2-.jpg 010743-4_big.jpg

Did you see the Activity version? if so, what's was your impression?

Here are a few more I found on the web of the kitchen and dash.

Did I mention. leather as standard - take note VW, on a £50k camper you should get leather !

001.jpeg 002.jpeg

soulstyledevon said:
KernowLad said:
soulstyledevon said:
That Mercedes Marco Polo Activity looks very interesting. Will definetlely check it out when it's released. If I'm honest, I'm sick of seeing T5 & T4s...!!! Seems like I can't drive a few miles until bumping into another one.
Be interesting to see how Mercedes have tackled things

If they did a 4matic with the V6 diesel engine, that would be beyond awesome!

The video mentions 4wd option. Can't see the V6 landing on it. But, hey give Merc a ring and suggest it. :cool:
I do personally like the styling and it won't ever be a popular as the VW because of the so called cool factor. Which to be honest is just another plus point for Mercedes.

Yep the "cool factor" is a PITA if I'm honest.

That Marco polo is very swish, but I am not sure cream is a great idea for a camper. I see in Europe you can get a cali with a bright white interior which looks great when clean....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

KernowLad said:
Yep the "cool factor" is a PITA if I'm honest.

Nothing cool about my cali - I just leave my crocs outside :)

teeboy said:
That Marco polo is very swish, but I am not sure cream is a great idea for a camper. I see in Europe you can get a cali with a bright white interior which looks great when clean....

There were several choices of leather on the Marco Polo . The black looked good without making it look too dull.

Worth a look then - it would be nice to have a dash (and specifically a sat nav) from the 21st century. LHD would not be awful I do way more miles in Europe in the cali, although loads of fiddly journey in the UK. Mmmmmm

I saw a very smart German Caravelle with brown leather - that would be ideal (we had it in our last car too)!

The resale value is a big thing for me. I would be suprised if the Marco Polo holds it's value like the California.

Looks like they have split the work top /splash back above the stove and sink. That is a good idea.

Strange times for the Cali, with the roof issues and now some competition plus rumours of the T6.

Quite a few in the for sale section that have hung around, not sure if it's a better time to buy or sell?

I would definitely consider chopping our much loved cali in for a marco polo, like others have said similar layout but looks so much better inside. I also noticed the split worktop which is something we always wished our cali had.
The only thing I wasn't sure about was the rear bench seat in leather looked sculpted for 2 people to sit in so not sure how comfy a bed it would be?

I am sad to say this but I would also go for the Marco Polo over the VW California now, it looks a much brighter enviroment and much more luxurious for the amount of money you pay.

Also in Germany they actually sell the Marco Polo in the car dealers and not in a builders van centre !!

http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content/ger ... flash.html

Just specced one up using the price list to the same spec as my Cali and it comes out at £39,090 before any discounts. £9k cheaper than my Cali. Are we being ripped off by VW ?

I'll wait to see what the press think of it; having a plush interior doesn't mean it's better; unless you're an Audi fan ;-)

The price sounds good though.

I saw four Westfalia Merc vans while away; didn't get a good look inside one but they look smart from the outside.

I do think the Cali needs an interior refresh though, especially the dash. It's all very grey and very plasticky despite generally working well. It's almost unchanged in eight years too.

sd5000 said:
it's not a new concept / partnership from Merc-Westfalia.

Merc used to own Westfalia. Think they bought them around 2000? One of the reasons that VW stopped working with Westfalia for their 'factory' campers.

They are no longer owned by Merc, but obviously still work closely with them. There were rumors of a VW based pop-top coming from them too.

dan

The Cali looks much better and IMHO is more practical in terms of looking after the interior,the problem with the lighter smarter interior is that it will be harder to look after and will age quicker as the materials are more fragile,the dashboard if you tap it is hollow and some of the switch gear looks very basic . The trim whilst looking very car like is not suitable for a camper.the chairs and table are stored in a box inside the boot taking up an awful lot of usable space, other than that i quite like it especially the price , just not as much as the Cali :D

The interior of the Cali looks about as inspiring as something from Cell Block H, but as my students used to say I resembled Mrs Davidson then I suppose we are a match :eek:

However, what Matt said. It works. It's practical. It's not precious.

One other thing. The Cali is totally brilliant, imo, for driving around in. I love it.

I didn't buy a California because the prices are a bit to steep at this moment in my life. So instead I have £11k in a T5 (total cost inc van and conversion) - it's quite basic, and has galactic miles but is a decent stop gap for now.

Hopefully within 3-4 years i'll have one :D

Looking at the specs, one advantage that seems to be hidden is that the California says it is galvaninsed, whereas I could find no reference to that on the standard T5. That must help longevity.
Mike - a new member, just bought a 2012 Black 180 4Motion. Love it!

Back