Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

10 reasons not to buy a Cali; Revolution Campers view.

We converted a new LWB Highline T6 DSG 150 but we could have purchased a 199/204 4 motion. So one could buy what ever vehicle one wants. We are very happy with the power of the 150, we did try a 199/204. As said previously, the California did not work for us so we have we no regrets going conversion. But, again to repeat myself, we are so glad we did not go cheap conversion and that we retained all the warranties. The bed in ours is downstairs, we have two rear seats that fold in conjunction with the front seats to give a very comfortable double bed - the two singles slide together.
The LWB would be the reason for a conversion for us too

We have been looking for something a bit bigger than our California but not a motor home (Yet). How do you find the power compared to the a California. Does the 130 give you some decent acceleration? Do you have the rear bed? If so is it comfortable?. Do you regret changing or is it the best thing you did. We have seen some lovely 7.5 metre motor homes for the same price but they are just Tooooo big. And you can hardly take them to Tesco’s...Nice to hear your comments.

Mine is an Ayers Rock, just half a metre longer than the Cali. It fits in to moat car parking slots at most retail parks. It is slightly wider than the Cali and has a 2m long fixed bed transverse across the back which is seriously comfortable, cold foam mattress on Froli springs. The sleep quality is outstanding.

.It is a camper van in that it is a panel van with holes cut into it for Windows and feels very stable on the road despite the height of 2.6m.

First impressions are, IT'S MASSIVE. However it's not, just the use of space with most of the storage taking up the additional height around the perimeter gives a huge sensation of space after the Cali.

Driving, it is a 180 not a 130, and automatic. Driving impressions are "it is a van" and not a limo which the Cali tries to be. No frills at the front, no carpets, more engine noise, driver info is lousy, but you get used to it. It's reflected in the price which is substantially cheaper.

In summary, when parked up and camping, an outstanding piece of kit and until I had it I never realised how much I missed hot water running out of a tap. It has its own loo and a compromise for a shower. the fixed bed is a blessing. It's there, no packing away, no fiddling around, no obstructing cupboard and drawers, all in it's own discreet bedroom space with all my clothes in the lockers above, not crammed into a draw under the bench seat.

Getting to where you are camping, no problem, rolls along happily at 70, not yet had the caravan on the back, that will happen in three weeks time, it's no where near as nimble as the Cali and you have to remember it's 2.6m high. It is a bigger noisier lump to drive around but the camping experience more than compensates.

Number 11.

If you damage your sliding cupboard door under the sink in your Cali you will need to pay £619 (inc vat). If the cupboard door in your revolution conversion breaks you can go to one of their supply partners located in almost ever industrial estate around the country….. screwfix.
£619! Bugger! a family has just disclosed to me (in a ‘by the way’ conversation) that the catch on the cupboard door ‘has broken’!

Expense needs to be defined. You can buy a cheaper vehicle but if its worth <30% of what you paid for it after 3years then that's more expensive.

We have been looking for something a bit bigger than our California but not a motor home (Yet). How do you find the power compared to the a California. Does the 130 give you some decent acceleration? Do you have the rear bed? If so is it comfortable?. Do you regret changing or is it the best thing you did. We have seen some lovely 7.5 metre motor homes for the same price but they are just Tooooo big. And you can hardly take them to Tesco’s...Nice to hear your comments.
I have just changed our much loved Cali which we had for 4 years for a VW Westfalia Club Joker. Based on LWB T6 Transporter, the width is identical but it is 300mm longer and is a high top van (2800mm). The small amount of extra length and high top are a game changer and you get a bathroom with shower and toilet, 70 litres fresh and 70 litres waste water and wait for it hot water and space heating system that run on diesel. The fit and finish is top quality from Westfalia. For us, the only trade off is flexibility. At under 2m high, the Cali was a go anywhere vehicle. We can no longer get into a multi-storey carpark or limbo under the height barriers in some outdoor carparks like we used to. We can still get into a pub carpark and park on an ordinary space at supermarkets. Club Jokers are even more eye-wateringly expensive than a Cali and even harder to get hold of. As others have said, it all depends what you want from your van and what your budget is.

Revolution have a good youtube channel & I've watched quite a few

horses for courses (as ever)

It's the old question. VW/Henry Ford approach, any layout you want as long as it's that one. Which suits me fine, but obviously not everyone. I like the single responsibility for vehicle and fit out too. OATK as we say (One ---- to kick).
All valid points no doubt. There's no getting away from it, conversion companies certainly do give the punter more choice. Vw really should take note. Example: VW's current colour choices are both stale and far too limited by comparison. The lack of hot water is another Cali failing.

However I'd still rather own a Cali.
Except Ascot Grey. And it's free!

£619! Bugger! a family has just disclosed to me (in a ‘by the way’ conversation) that the catch on the cupboard door ‘has broken’!
Yep. It was for a T6.1. The door under the sink. I had a mark on the trim that I tried to clean with something a bit more aggressive than I should have……

63FA2262-2230-4722-9A19-76103E0A0A7C.jpeg

For me point 3 is the loser. I could never cope with a campervan with curtains!

Yep. It was for a T6.1. The door under the sink. I had a mark on the trim that I tried to clean with something a bit more aggressive than I should have……

View attachment 83970
I wouldn't be spending £619 plus a couple of hundred labor to fix that. That's definitely patina not damage.

All the above are valid points, we spent three years deciding what was best for us and after looking at lots of conversions at the shows came back to the VW California as the best all round choice. We have run transporters for our business for 30 years now and have a good idea what to expect from the agents, which isn't as great as it used to be when the dealers were more local and smaller; however the top spec vehicles, both California and Caravelle, ( we still have our T4 Velle) are in our experience great to drive long distances. Yesterday I drove down south ( Surrey ) and back in the day without much hassle because the California is quiet and sure footed so not tiring. I wouldn't like to do the same in a van conversion.
Yes hot water might be a facility worth considering but not something we have missed on our travels through Europe. Pop top drainage and keeping the outlets clear is something that VW could improve, and the aesthetics of the blinds etc might have bearing on what the overall impression is of the van.

The only reason conversions seem cheap is because the enable you to make massive savings / compromises on the base vehicle.
I expect if you worked out how much you are paying for the "conversion" bit of a cali it would actually be cheaper than a conversion company despite the more expensive materials and sophisticated components.

The only reason conversions seem cheap is because the enable you to make massive savings / compromises on the base vehicle.
I expect if you worked out how much you are paying for the "conversion" bit of a cali it would actually be cheaper than a conversion company despite the more expensive materials and sophisticated components.
Very true. When I was looking it was impossible to get the base vehicle I wanted, even from the authorised VW converters as VW limited the base vehicles they could use. The only way was to purchase your own base vehicle and hand it to the converter. That worked out more expensive .

Very true. When I was looking it was impossible to get the base vehicle I wanted, even from the authorised VW converters as VW limited the base vehicles they could use. The only way was to purchase your own base vehicle and hand it to the converter. That worked out more expensive .
Interesting. VW limit converters to lower spec Transporters, to limit California competition?
What base vehicle couldn’t they obtain for you?

For me point 3 is the loser. I could never cope with a campervan with curtains!
Having had curtains I agree, blinds although not prefect are so much better.

Interesting. VW limit converters to lower spec Transporters, to limit California competition?
What base vehicle couldn’t they obtain for you?
At the time 4Motion, 180. This was VW conversion partners.. They were limited to 140 FWD only.
We're not talking about Joe Blogs working out of his garage

I always find it a bit sad when companies run out of good things to say about their own products and resort to bad mouthing others.
Is it just me or is cali on the home page the best looking van on the site?
Thats a good point. I never trust ANY product or company that slags off its competition. They should focus on their USP and not rubbish the Cali. Anyway for me there is simply 2 very strong reasons to buy a Cali over a conversion - used sell values and a warranty that covers all the Cali components and the base vehicle. A no brainer to me.

Back