Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Strange reasons for not buying a Cali

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Anyone experienced this - "I would have bought one too but…"

1) The waiting list was too long (this chap had a 102PS van converted by a local firm - perfectly nice but probably half the price of a Cali)
2) I wanted a grill
3) I wanted a proper fridge
4) The door is on the wrong side

They definitely don't suit everyone but I do hear some weird "excuses" for not buying one!

At least

1 his fiberglass roof wont be bubbling :D
2 he wont have a central control panel to go wrong :D
3 his sliding windows wont fall apart in his hands :D
4 he's got £20k in the bank :D

Sounds like sensible chap lol

But I didn't want a second hand, or even a new van that is cut and modified with MFI furniture , non-crash tested rear seat and which has NOT had an Euro NCAP test carried out on the modified vehicle.
Buy into the California experience or basically it is not for you. :bananadance

The California has not been Euro NCAP tested, only the Caravelle has so nobody knows how safe the rear bench seat really is

It was the original vw fittings that did it for us, but I don't think a cali is any more NCAP tested than a standard t5?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

But that is just the point . The T5 has been tested . The conversions have had the roof cut out and replaced by a fibreglass insert and NOT tested. On the California the rear seat belt mounts have to have been tested to set standards. The furniture is one unit and is fairly weighty, see the YouTube video of the California build, and structurally fitted in place.. The front roof panel, the subject of the corrosion topic, is a fairly significant structural member. So I believe the California is as structurally sound and safe as a non modified T5.
Just my opinion and my reason for buying a California. Also when I gave the specs of my chosen California, including the vehicle specs, none of the main converters came close or would offer the same warranty on the whole vehicle.

I 100 percent agree that a cali will be safer than a conversion, and that I why I decided to go cali, but a cali has not been ncap tested only a bog standard t5 - not even a multivan or caravelle has been tested, or at least I can't find them on their site.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Whatever anyone says, a California will be better put together than some ex AA or builders van with some flat pack furniture installed - end of.

cozmo1589 said:
Whatever anyone says, a California will be better put together
I think there may be 50,000 reasons this is bull

Do a conversion to a new 180bhp panel van, as written about recently in VW Camper and Commercial mag, and you are probably spending just as much and possibly more than buying a new Cali SE.

Alan

danny13 said:
cozmo1589 said:
Whatever anyone says, a California will be better put together
I think there may be 50,000 reasons this is bull

Each to their own. I had funds to spend, looked at 15 to 20 different vehicles. Opted for the California and absolutely love it with no regrets. There are some really nice converted vans out there but I prefer the little things like double glazing windows, deck chairs that store in the tailgate, picnic table that snaps into the sliding side door, the extra insulation and sound proofing all if which you simply don't get with a converted commercial van.

I just liked the Cali.

I've no idea about crash tests, I didn't buy it to have a crash, I bought it to go camping in and it just seemed better than the rest. The only other two that came close did not offer a 180 DSG 4 motion and were within the same price bracket.

Shame there was no audio when I played the video. Nice looking van, though looks like they totally copied the California , could never have one as my local Mercedes dealer is just the worst when it comes to customer service. They got a really bad reputation locally so couldn't see my self in there anytime soon.

cozmo1589 said:
Whatever anyone says, a California will be better put together than some ex AA or builders van with some flat pack furniture installed - end of.

There are a lot of one off bespoke conversions that are superbly and professionally put together and some very skilled and inventive small companies out there working to customer requirements....

David Eccles said:
cozmo1589 said:

There are a lot of one off bespoke conversions that are superbly and professionally put together and some very skilled and inventive small companies out there working to customer requirements....

Indeed there are but for me personally and after having viewed many many different converted models before buying, the California ticked all the boxes for me.
There are some big vw forums and websites out there for converted commercial/work vans.

cozmo1589 said:
Shame there was no audio when I played the video. Nice looking van, though looks like they totally copied the California , could never have one as my local Mercedes dealer is just the worst when it comes to customer service. They got a really bad reputation locally so couldn't see my self in there anytime soon.

Agree, looks like Mecedes want to be a hard comperitor and the new models (just released last Friday at Düsseldorf Caravan Salon) are very "VW California" based.http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-1727285-1-1733507-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html

Now is VW's turn with the T6 (wich can be another reason.... just wait to next year for the new model)

cozmo1589 said:
Nice looking van, though looks like they totally copied the California .
Is does make me laugh when folks say this. T5 California owners should take a look at a T4 westfalia pop top and then rethink who copied who.

T4WFA said:
cozmo1589 said:
Is does make me laugh when folks say this. T5 California owners should take a look at a T4 westfalia pop top and then rethink who copied who.

Even copied the name :D You'd think they'd have copied all the cool features in the Westfalia California like having a draining board :clap

The basic layout has been in existence since the earliest conversions and hasn't changed much since the bay window.

The chairs in the tailgate and the table in the door are nice improvements on the VW Cali.

Each to their own ;)

To fully get back ON- topic.... :mrgreen:

The one and only reason for me not to buy a Cali was....

..i did not have anough savings on my bank :headbang
But afther 20 years saving got that sorted out and bought one :bananadance
No lie , i been saying sinds my early 20 's that if i could affort one , i would buy one .
So by the time a went 40 , had enough savings

T4WFA said:
cozmo1589 said:

My comment was more of the opinion of a similar class Mercedes being converted to a small camper thus jumping in on the bandwagon to cash in on that lucrative market, I was not meaning vw California was the first original camper van ever and everyone one else since copy it. There have been hundreds of pop top campers going back scores of years. The inside of the Merc however is an almost identical layout so little creativity IMHO .

We saw all sorts of camper vans on our Euro trip; non Brits seem to have more imagination than just sticking on massive alloys and surf stickers.
Some really nice Westfalia stuff from old VWs to new Vitos. But very little has the overall coherence and solidity of a Cali.

They do attract attention too; we got asked about ours many times.

I can't think of anything else that's factory made, 4x4, as quick as most (fairly mundane) cars, sleeps 4 but still fits in a car park space.

Another observation - the only vans with massive, silly alloys, surf stickers all over them and a general BTCC Touring car "look" were British. Who were almost all rather miserable!

As a nation we need to smile more, pretend less.

I'm was delighted a few times when locals genuinely thought I was Spanish (or French). THe UK is great but as a general rule, we're a strange lot.

That Mercedes Marco Polo Activity looks very interesting. Will definetlely check it out when it's released. If I'm honest, I'm sick of seeing T5 & T4s...!!! Seems like I can't drive a few miles until bumping into another one.
Be interesting to see how Mercedes have tackled things

soulstyledevon said:
That Mercedes Marco Polo Activity looks very interesting. Will definetlely check it out when it's released. If I'm honest, I'm sick of seeing T5 & T4s...!!! Seems like I can't drive a few miles until bumping into another one.
Be interesting to see how Mercedes have tackled things

If they did a 4matic with the V6 diesel engine, that would be beyond awesome!

Back