Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Streetwise vehicle tracker.

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I noticed today that Aldi has a Streetwize vehicle GPS tracker for sale for £39.99.
It’s also for sale in the California shop for a few quid more. I know it’s not very expensive so don’t expect it’s going to be as good as a £ 300 model with yearly subscription.
Has anyone bought one? If so what are they like to use.

I noticed today that Aldi has a Streetwize vehicle GPS tracker for sale for £39.99.
It’s also for sale in the California shop for a few quid more. I know it’s not very expensive so don’t expect it’s going to be as good as a £ 300 model with yearly subscription.
Has anyone bought one? If so what are they like to use.
Is it Insurance approved and what’s the monthly subscription?
Vodafone Curve is an excellent tracker for £20 plus £2 per month. Very small device and easily hidden. Various operating modes including real time tracking on a map view.

Is it Insurance approved and what’s the monthly subscription?
Vodafone Curve is an excellent tracker for £20 plus £2 per month. Very small device and easily hidden. Various operating modes including real time tracking on a map view.
Do you know if the Vodafone Curve is insurance approve? Also how do you keep it charged and hidden away? - battery life seems to be a max 7 hours.

Do you know if the Vodafone Curve is insurance approve? Also how do you keep it charged and hidden away? - battery life seems to be a max 7 hours.
I don’t believe it is insurance approved but for most California owners that wouldn’t matter because the factory fitted alarm/immobiliser IS insurance approved. My insurer (Comfort) didn’t insist on a tracker, so if you fit one, it’s for your own peace of mind etc.
The battery life of the Curve, depending on the selected operating mode is up to 7 days. The operating mode can be changed instantly from the App i.e Power Saving mode through to Real Time.
It isn’t much bigger than a £2 coin so can easily be hidden. It can easily be hardwired to the van using a 12v to USB cable. An ignition switched supply is fine because the Curve won’t draw power when you’re parked and will charge when you drive. Would only ‘die’ if you left your van unused for 7 days or more but would spring back to life once the van was started.

I don’t believe it is insurance approved but for most California owners that wouldn’t matter because the factory fitted alarm/immobiliser IS insurance approved. My insurer (Comfort) didn’t insist on a tracker, so if you fit one, it’s for your own peace of mind etc.
The battery life of the Curve, depending on the selected operating mode is up to 7 days. The operating mode can be changed instantly from the App i.e Power Saving mode through to Real Time.
It isn’t much bigger than a £2 coin so can easily be hidden. It can easily be hardwired to the van using a 12v to USB cable. An ignition switched supply is fine because the Curve won’t draw power when you’re parked and will charge when you drive. Would only ‘die’ if you left your van unused for 7 days or more but would spring back to life once the van was started.
That makes more sense, the review I read mentioned 7hours (not days) maximum battery life. I am with Comfort as well because they don’t require a tracker and cover business use, but a reasonable priced tracker might allow a few more options at renewal time.

Hi GG. Picked this thread up as I'm considering a Curve. When you say hardwire the curve in, how would you do that, where would the cable or wires plug into? Thanks

You will be aware that GPS trackers can easily be jammed by crim types to block the signal.

I'd imagine that a professional crim who is after a California is more than likely to have such a jamming device.

But for £30 it might give some peace of mind.

Hi GG. Picked this thread up as I'm considering a Curve. When you say hardwire the curve in, how would you do that, where would the cable or wires plug into? Thanks
Buy a 12v to USB adapter and hardwire into an ignition switched fuse. Plug the Curve charging cable into it and attach the Curve. The Curve connector is magnetic so sensible to tie wrap it in place.
This set up will charge the Curve when driving but not drain the starter battery when parked. Depending on the mode you set on the Curve it has up to a 7-day battery life before needing recharging. Most people would drive their Cali regularly so no problem.

D899A61A-7349-4A5A-AC4B-EC86919E93E9.png

You will be aware that GPS trackers can easily be jammed by crim types to block the signal.

I'd imagine that a professional crim who is after a California is more than likely to have such a jamming device.

But for £30 it might give some peace of mind.
Quite possibly they could block the signal, but if they didn’t or couldn’t it can be tracked. Peace of mind as you suggest.
They’d also have to block the Cali’s inbuilt SIM signal which broadcasts the Cali’s position on a map via We Connect.

Buy a 12v to USB adapter and hardwire into an ignition switched fuse. Plug the Curve charging cable into it and attach the Curve. The Curve connector is magnetic so sensible to tie wrap it in place.
This set up will charge the Curve when driving but not drain the starter battery when parked. Depending on the mode you set on the Curve it has up to a 7-day battery life before needing recharging. Most people would drive their Cali regularly so no problem.

View attachment 78065
Just noticed your Amazon screen shot shows your post code not good on a open forum.

Just noticed your Amazon screen shot shows your post code not good on a open forum.
Whoops!
Thanks for flagging @John R but so many people and organisations already have so much information about me, I won’t worry too much :)

Quite possibly they could block the signal, but if they didn’t or couldn’t it can be tracked. Peace of mind as you suggest.
They’d also have to block the Cali’s inbuilt SIM signal which broadcasts the Cali’s position on a map via We Connect.
We Connect is not installed as standard on T5 or T6. Came in with T6.1

That makes more sense, the review I read mentioned 7hours (not days) maximum battery life. I am with Comfort as well because they don’t require a tracker and cover business use, but a reasonable priced tracker might allow a few more options at renewal time.
Tracker would have to be on their 'approved' list but not assured that any discount given for having one.
Past experience was that it was a must have to get insurance on the particular vehicle and HAD to be installed by a professional with supporting certificate.
Much like home alarm systems.
I've installed professional grade/type alarms on both house and vehicles but no discount given on insurance due to no Accredited Installer Certificate being available.