Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stripped thread on tow eye?

3wolves

3wolves

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
I had a problem with the screw-in tow eye this weekend getting towed out of a very muddy Green Man festival. I have used the tow eye successfully before but this time I think I have stripped the thread when screwing it in as it pulled straight out when hooked up to the tractor.It felt to be engaging the thread well but wouldn't fully tighten up. We eventually got dragged out unceremoniously backwards using the rear fixed eye.
Anyone had a similar problem, and how would I go about fixing it?
Gordon

Bugger.

Without knowing quite how they are fitted (eg: is this directly mounted to the chassis or is it on a part that can be changed?) I would probably go to an engineering company and ask if they can helicoil it (which may work OK until you try and tow it again!) or even recut the threads for a larger bolt.

Have you tried refitting it since? What is the thread like on the towing eye itself?

cheers

I have tried refixing it since but same problem. The thread on the tow eye looks reasonable, although the first section looks much shallower than the rest - I'm not sure if this is normal.
Hopefully the tow eye is the softer alloy and it is that that has stripped so I guess it would make sense to try another one first. Are they available to order and any idea of cost?
Gordon

Away this weekend so will post photo in time for your return, thanks

Doesn't look too good close up, what do you think?

photo-2.JPG

Doesn't look pretty. Was it cross threaded when fitted?

They normally have the part number on them to make ordering a new one easier.

That's knackered! Looks like it's a softer metal than the the receiver so you may be in luck!.

Hi Gordon,

yes its obviously stripped at the end.

It would be a good idea to clean up the female thread on your Cali before fitting the new towing eye. :thumb

If you have access to the tools. One possibility would be to cut the damaged section off the old towing eye, with a angle grinder, so you only have clean thread left. Then clean up the end with a triangle shaped needle file so you have a nice tapered lead into the thread.

Now use your old towing eye as a tool for cleaning the female thread by working it slowly in and out of the female thread quarter of a turn at a time lubricating it with oil. and cleaning out any swarth loose metal as you go.

Alternatively do the same with your new towing eye working it in and out with oil but check you are not damaging the thread on it each time you take it out.

It does sound like the Cali female side is made out of a harder metal so you should be OK

John

Back