Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stuck in Portugal

Yes, I’ve purposely stranded myself in Portugal. I left The UK on Friday and, after a difficult interview with Portuguese customs, have arrived in the Algarve.

And I’m so glad I have. People are taking social distancing seriously, they are not stockpiling and as a result supermarkets are well stocked.

The greed and stupidity of the U.K. isn’t present here and there is no end of days partying on the beach.
6679ab41c9227cfc9da029d451e68dd0.jpg

Yes, I’ve purposely stranded myself in Portugal. I left The UK on Friday and, after a difficult interview with Portuguese customs, have arrived in the Algarve.

And I’m so glad I have. People are taking social distancing seriously, they are not stockpiling and as a result supermarkets are well stocked.

The greed and stupidity of the U.K. isn’t present here and there is no end of days partying on the beach.
6679ab41c9227cfc9da029d451e68dd0.jpg

I was attempting to answer this without being rude, I couldn’t but will say this.

I live in a community where they are not stockpiling and there is food on the shelves. We are fairly remote from the big cities but social distancing has kicked in. One pub stayed open on Saturday and it was empty, it has now closed.

I live in England.

NB: Out of curiosity looking at your recent posts leads me to believe you flew to Portugal?

If so how did the social distancing work out?

Mike

Last edited:
And Mike, your f*ckwit of a Brexit Prime Minister, has started with a major mis-step that will cost hundreds of thousands of lives, thinking he understood epidemics better than the WHO, and is continuing, massively out of his depth, with a half hearted strategy that will wreck the U.K. even further than the WTO train crash he and Cummings lust after.

Good luck to you, but if he doesn’t steal your health he will make off with your wealth.

You are completely buried. Game over.

Your still not making it possible to reply without being rude. Enjoy the beach.

Mike

Yes, the lovely stewardess took care of that for
me
bd7b75b9cfc0d8365ee84be19b92fc9d.jpg

I think the supermarket madness is starting to subside here.
My wife went yesterday. The store had a strict policy of only 40 customers at a time. The people in the queue were well spaced with one door to enter and another to exit.
My wife said the store was well stocked and we got everything on the list that we needed...

I think the supermarket madness is starting to subside here.
My wife went yesterday. The store had a strict policy of only 40 customers at a time. The people in the queue were well spaced with one door to enter and another to exit.
My wife said the store was well stocked and we got everything on the list that we needed...

We had a home delivery last night. No tinned tomatoes, no tomato purée, no tinned beans, no yeast, no flour, no frozen peas, eggs reduced from 12 to 6.

Fresh meat, veg and fruit all arrived.

We are trying to find some hens at point of lay. All the local farms can offer is sexed chicks. I think I’d prefer to incubate eggs and have the boys watch them hatch, but I’m too squeamish to deal with the cocks.

What to do!?

I was under the impression chickens were hard work.
Plus, who looks after them when your off in the Cali...?
Any local farm shops...?
I know my local bakers do eggs and stuff. They’ve had plenty of stock which is sourced from a local farm.

I was under the impression chickens were hard work.
Plus, who looks after them when your off in the Cali...?
Any local farm shops...?
I know my local bakers do eggs and stuff. They’ve had plenty of stock which is sourced from a local farm.

I’m thinking of the hens mainly for educational purposes, especially now they are off school, probably until September.

I hope neighbours will look after the hens when we are away in return for fresh eggs.

We have a Turkish family next to us, and they are well into the Good Life giving us all sorts of excess produce over the garden fence. I have little doubt that they’d welcome daily eggs.

Same here out in deepest darkest Devon. We had milk and butter delivered from one local farm and eggs from another. All still arriving.

Local small shop sells everything we need with a bit of creativity and as of yesterday yeast, with bread flour, pasta and rice from sacks. Served by weight limit by a a couple who have had the virus. It’s all very organised without any great drama.

I live in an area which is predominantly holiday homes which are normally largely unoccupied until Easter. They still are in fact our nearest neighbour called yesterday and is sending me a key to check the property as they live in London and would not wish to risk spreading the virus. I’m pretty sure this is the norm and as ever the idiots get the headlines whilst the rest already got the message or do now.

Renowned here for visiting camper vans and big whites. I looked yesterday and when you would normally see a couple of dozen there were two and they might have been just parked.

it is very unlikely that the impact in the UK will be as serious as it has been in Italy due to the very specific and unusual demographics of that country.

I remember some family members in Italy making a similar assertions to me re China/Iran about 3 weeks ago. It didn’t age well. Good luck and be safe everyone.

I’m too squeamish to deal with the cocks.
Words you never thought you’d read on the forum.
In case there was any doubt:
If strong and healthy, the female chicks are transferred to a site where they are grown to a suitable size and then moved to a laying facility — which could be a cage, free-range or barn set up. Male chicks are considered an unwanted byproduct of egg production and are killed and disposed of shortly after birth.

In case there was any doubt:
If strong and healthy, the female chicks are transferred to a site where they are grown to a suitable size and then moved to a laying facility — which could be a cage, free-range or barn set up. Male chicks are considered an unwanted byproduct of egg production and are killed and disposed of shortly after birth.
This is one of those facts about modern society that it easier to ignore or not contemplate. If ever there was a reason to become vegan, this might be it.

I moved to a purely plant based diet 3 months ago.

I'm still waiting for my body to "adjust" and stop releasing noxious, fetid, insidious-yet-simultaneously-amazing toxic emissions. I'm half expecting Greta Thunberg to come knocking on my door!!
As she is also vegan I presume she has the same delightful emissions as yourself.

I'll just leave this here

There are no eat in restaurants open, many takeaways are closed. Businesses with works canteens are shut. Fewer school dinners are being served. The slack must be taken up by the supermarkets.

Our local Macro has plenty of rice and pasta, pasta in 3Kg bags or 12Kg boxes and rice in 5Kg or 10Kg sacks. Toilet roll is 24pack BOGOFf (Buy One Get One Free).

While I’m happy to buy a 3Kg bag of pasta (about 15 family meals), or a 5Kg sack of rice (~25 meals), a 2.5Kg catering tin of chopped tomatoes just doesn’t work for us! The 24pks of smaller tins have all been bought by corner shops.

Supermarket shortages aren’t just because of stockpiling. It is also to do with eating habits being forced to change so rapidly. We’ve gone from ~60 individual meals a week at home to 84. That’s a 23% increase!

There are no eat in restaurants open, many takeaways are closed. Businesses with works canteens are shut. Fewer school dinners are being served. The slack must be taken up by the supermarkets.

Our local Macro has plenty of rice and pasta, pasta in 3Kg bags or 12Kg boxes and rice in 5Kg or 10Kg sacks. Toilet roll is 24pack BOGOFf (Buy One Get One Free).

While I’m happy to buy a 3Kg bag of pasta (about 15 family meals), or a 5Kg sack of rice (~25 meals), a 2.5Kg catering tin of chopped tomatoes just doesn’t work for us! The 24pks of smaller tins have all been bought by corner shops.

Supermarket shortages aren’t just because of stockpiling. It is also to do with eating habits being forced to change so rapidly. We’ve gone from ~60 individual meals a week at home to 84. That’s a 23% increase!
Buy one get one free? Seriously?