Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stuck in the mud.

Smudge

Smudge

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Following on from my wild camping thread I posted yesterday I have another question.

Who, if anyone, has required assistance to get off a campsite, dodgy verge or field due to being bogged in?

I am prepared to fork out for 4motion if necessary but would rather not if it's not really necessary.

I am aware that it is all dependant on the type of terrain that you drive on, but would appreciate your general opinions and experiences

Let me reverse that question.

were it not for 4motion I would not go where I do and I would be inhibited. Had I not had 4motion then even going where I might have restricted myself to would still have seen me in trouble.

It depends entirely on the sort of lifestyle that you anticipate indulging in. If it is regular trips to full facilities sites with hard standing then ok, but CL's after heavy rain? Winter camping with unexpected snow squalls? Down a forest track on a dry day but you find the part of the track that doesn't see sun and never dries out?

Ok, my lifestyle may veer to the more explorative spectrum, and I camp all year round, but strictly personal view is that for me it's a much-needed safeguard to protect me from me :)

Also the 4Motion gives, in my opinion, a much more "planted" driving experience. Important in such a heavy vehicle.

I reckon 2 wheel drive with decent winter/AT tyres is a good compromise with a tow rope for a friendly landy driver to pull you out.
Whether you've got 2 or 4 wheel drive the amount you sink overnight with 3 tonnes on four wheels is the same.

Following on from my wild camping thread I posted yesterday I have another question.

Who, if anyone, has required assistance to get off a campsite, dodgy verge or field due to being bogged in?

I am prepared to fork out for 4motion if necessary but would rather not if it's not really necessary.

I am aware that it is all dependant on the type of terrain that you drive on, but would appreciate your general opinions and experiences
Hi Smudge,
As previously stated, I have no experience with a Cali, yet.
However I did manage to get my half loaded, front wheel drive VW T4 work van well and truly bogged down in an orchard a couple of years ago. This was due to a hidden rabbit burrow that wasn't visible on the surface. The ground wasn't wet and looked quite firm so you never know.
I believe that the fully loaded Cali weighs in at up to 3 tonnes and whilst I am sure that for most situations, the FWD version will be just fine, there will be occasions when you will wish you had gone for the 4motion.
I have, as I don't want to be restricted in where I can go and I want the reassurance that I can get out again when its time to leave, regardless of the weather. I also went for the 4 motion as I will very occasionally want to tow a heavy trailer.

4Motion is a definite advantage, however saying that.. in the years of ownership we've only ever got stuck once and that was at a country show where RR Sports were getting stuck and we were all towed out by a tracked vehicle. (Bottom of a hill and torrential rain caused the problem... turned it into a muddy stream)

We regularly do festivals etc and have used the Cali to tow out other vehicles, including Cali's on standard wheels/tyres... Ours sits on 18" with Continental M&S tyres all year round. (The slightly wider profile on the 18" also helps)

As GJ says... it really all depends upon the type of campervanning you intend to do... 4Motion or standard... both are good base vehicles.

Rgds

Mark

4Motion is a definite advantage, however saying that.. in the years of ownership we've only ever got stuck once and that was at a country show where RR Sports were getting stuck and we were all towed out by a tracked vehicle. (Bottom of a hill and torrential rain caused the problem... turned it into a muddy stream)

We regularly do festivals etc and have used the Cali to tow out other vehicles, including Cali's on standard wheels/tyres... Ours sits on 18" with Continental M&S tyres all year round. (The slightly wider profile on the 18" also helps)

As GJ says... it really all depends upon the type of campervanning you intend to do... 4Motion or standard... both are good base vehicles.

Rgds

Mark
Hi Mark,
That is what I suspected but being a belt and braces kind of chap I feel more secure with the 4 motion. Also, I occasionally tow a car trailer with car and on those occasions we are often told to park in a field adjacent to the event. The extra traction will come in useful one day.
Best wishes
Paul

Never having owned a 3 ton van before I am totally unaware of it's limitations. Now I know that you should never say never but the caravan and camping hard standing sort of site just isn't our scene. We are more the pitch up in the corner of a farmers field where the water tap is located next to the barn type of campers.

Previously, my mode of transport has been a VW Passat estate. This is normally fully loaded with camping and climbing equipment and I will take this anywhere (commom sense prevails obviously). In all the years I have been doing this to the best of my knowledge I have never been bogged in. But on the same note I am aware other people have.

So obviously you would have to use a modicum of common sense on the terrain that you take it on, ie muddy swamped fields would be a definite no no. But in general and this would include the type of tracks that Granny Jen was talking about how prone are they to getting stuck? A lot more likely than a fully ladened estate car?

Now I apologise to all you seasoned camper van owners out there to whom this would appear to be an obvious question, but if I am about to splash out all of my hard earned cash, and as you guys have already stated....... l want the right van for my type of lifestyle.

I appreciate everyones help and understanding here.

I seriously considered the 4 wheel option before buying my van,but the meanness in me in terms of fuel consumption got the better of me :talktothehand
Although i generally fill up with premium fuel

Alan

Never having owned a 3 ton van before I am totally unaware of it's limitations. Now I know that you should never say never but the caravan and camping hard standing sort of site just isn't our scene. We are more the pitch up in the corner of a farmers field where the water tap is located next to the barn type of campers.

Previously, my mode of transport has been a VW Passat estate. This is normally fully loaded with camping and climbing equipment and I will take this anywhere (commom sense prevails obviously). In all the years I have been doing this to the best of my knowledge I have never been bogged in. But on the same note I am aware other people have.

So obviously you would have to use a modicum of common sense on the terrain that you take it on, ie muddy swamped fields would be a definite no no. But in general and this would include the type of tracks that Granny Jen was talking about how prone are they to getting stuck? A lot more likely than a fully ladened estate car?

Now I apologise to all you seasoned camper van owners out there to whom this would appear to be an obvious question, but if I am about to splash out all of my hard earned cash, and as you guys have already stated....... l want the right van for my type of lifestyle.

I appreciate everyones help and understanding here.

The Cali is probably no more prone to getting stuck than a normal family car and on some surfaces that weight would be an advantage.

What changes is where and when you would take a Cali. A normal family car may be ok on that green field this afternoon, but there may be torrential rain that night that turns that field the following morning into a mud bath where you would not normally want to take your family car. However you may have pitched your Cali in that field that afternoon and woken up the following morning to find that if you didn't deliberately drive onto a mud bath then you are in one now.

Similarly snow squalls, Scottish ones, can happen any time in remote areas of Scotland and if you find yourself in one, on an isolated road, then you have to get yourself out of it, a situation where the weight would be an advantage. Again there were a number of people this year who were allowed by French police to proceed through the Alps when heavy snow left thousands stranded because again winter tyres and/or 4WD.

I was in Wester Ross in January, terrible weather came in, the police closed the road due to an accident but let me avoid a 70 plus mile detour because my 4WD and winter tyres meant it was likely I could get through the blocked road, which I did with ease. I might have got through with normal 2WD drive and winters, but would I have had the confidence to try?

From my pov, knowing where I wanted to go and not wanting to be dictated to by the weather, 4WD was like buying an insurance policy that will be there for the lifetime of the vehicle. I could not categorically state "Yes" or "No" to whether I needed it or not, just "Yes" to "Yes, I want that comfort of mind"

Not really off roading or wild camping but I got caught out on a site on Isle of Wight after a week of torrential rain and driving on and off the pitch all week it was very wet and muddy.
It cost me a pair of cheap 99p floor mats under the front wheels and I was straight off. Lot cheaper then the four motion option and the extra fuel use the duration when not needing 4wd (99.99% of the time the way I use the Cali). Depends how you use the van and how often you think your need it.
I've owed many FWD 4WD RWD cars and 4WD's easily drive the worst IMO as they are so bogged down mechanically (RWD is the best!) I've always owned sporty cars so probably not the best person to give advice on how a 2 ton van drives lol
Cue disagree's.. I want at least 10 :thumb

Last edited:
I went through pretty bad snow last winter in a 4M with M+S tyres, lots of stuck cars and the Cali ploughed through no worries at all. I've also got it out of a bogged situation but lack of diff lock was the main limiting factor, I managed but it took a bit of thinking. As we drive on rural roads and in snow/heavy rain in Scotland all the time (esp summer!) we went 4m.

I have been stacked in a mud on 3 occasions. Every time it was nice looking grass with very soft soil underneath. One occasion: tractor, second occasion: other van towing me out from his hard road place, third: nice pass-byers pushing. The front is very heavy it goes down into mud right up to the level of axle extremely easy.

4 WD van ?... Saying tells that in that case only the tractor needs to go deeper into the field :). Seriously, nice feature, but you still need to be very cautious due to heavy weight, relatively small wheels and relatively low suspension.

Last edited:
Our first night in the van! CL site and the back wheels dropped into a trough made as they had buried the electric cables for the hookup.

Nice owner had a tractor on standby for us in the morning. Best eggs we've ever bought at a CL as well, so we'd go back.

Only issue if you are getting a tow is how on earth you get the panel off the front to get to the tow point. I gave up after a minor scratch to the plastic and we hitched a rope around the front wishbone. It didn't need much of a help out, just couldn't make it itself. So 4wd might be on our list next time.

I had a close call at a VW show this weekend, water logged field and saw a few vans in front getting stuck. I just kept momentum and got to the spot I wanted. Two T5's came in after and churned up the mud beautifully lol and one got stuck, but with a couple of planks of wood and push it got out fairly quickly. The slammed Mk1 Golf Clipper that came in after was grounded and had to be pulled out by a tractor in morning. Was quite entertaining to watch whilst having cuppa and croissante. This field was so soft I think even a 4motion would have struggled if it bogged down unless it had the diff lock option... I read somewhere the Diff lock was standard on the early models but now its an option? Seems to me its a must have other not worth having the 4 motion?