Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

On the horns of a dilemma

Everyone says its not a sports car, well that should be quite obvious?
However, I have not been driving such a great vechicle at speed on the motorway. It is very relaxing to drive at high speed, more so than my bmw 5-series. I almost never use all the power or the 4motion system, but I know that when I need it it is there for overtaking etc. I have already been taking my cali to places where I wouldnt have taken a 2wd cali. For example the location below, lots of white vales hovering 900m from the ocean and us 10m from the water. Fantastic.
In my mind it is cheaper to go all in at once than selling and buying another and I have peace on my mind. Do I need it? Of course not, but I dont need a california either. Buying a California is not especially reasonable to begin with, use your heart :)
i-bQCgbsD-X2.jpg

Hi broch, when I ordered my t6 beach in June I placed order for 150hp 4motion. But I was not sure if my choice was right. A month later I changed my order for 204hp 4motion and I am looking forward for delivery next week . So my advice is go and change your order!

Odoslané z môjho iPad cez Tapatalk Pro

As my daily drive, I may well have convinced myself to go for 204 & 4motion but as we have 4 kids, 7 seat Beach it was ..... and as we're in the UK, thankfully a couple less decisions to make!

Yesterday I had back to back test drives in both 150dsg and 204dsg over the same route and once again confirmed my decision to go for the 2wd 150dsg. I am convinced it is the right choice for how I intend to use my Ocean over the long term. :)

I risked some hopefully minor tweaks to the options (6.33 display and App Connect) and the initial response from the VW random number generator (Order system/production scheduler) was to slip my provisional production week from week 47 to week 48. I hope it holds at that. :Nailbiting

The strange situation on Ocean tyre options confused me. I had hoped to be able to opt for all weather tyres as, although not shown in the printed price list, they appear in the on line configurator. However, the dealer confirmed that they are not listed in the configurator used to place/amend an order. Odd, especially as there appear to be several options for the Beach :cool:

As a 66 reg 150bhp DSG Beach owner:

There are no issues at all!

And I have had over the year many cars with engines V8 and over, 4wd or Quattro, and 350 to 550bhp, with 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds.

Trust me it's fine. This is not to say the 204 may not be tad nicer to have. But no issues with 150bhp unless you want be speed king on road.

As my daily drive, I may well have convinced myself to go for 204 & 4motion but as we have 4 kids, 7 seat Beach it was ..... and as we're in the UK, thankfully a couple less decisions to make!

We have only 2 kids but we still went for the 7 seater Beach. It gives so many options for friends, other family, and group outings. Unless the kitchen is a must, the Beach has some advantages too!

You will be chuffed to buggery with the 150 - it suits the whole feel of the thing. The thing is if VW brought out a 225hp van next year would you feel short changed ? - coz if you are the sort of person who has to have the latest / flashiest / fastest / most expensive thing then you will always be wondering about the next thing and not enjoying your thing.

We have only 2 kids but we still went for the 7 seater Beach. It gives so many options for friends, other family, and group outings. Unless the kitchen is a must, the Beach has some advantages too!
I agree. Kitchen in our T5 just took up space. We managed to squeeze in 7 seats but without the kitchen could have made it 9. If we had the choice, preference would be a 204 4motion Beach

Hi, I too had the same problem but the answer became clear when due to a mix up with my original van I had to reorder my 150 4motion, this became a blessing in disguise when i was loaned a T5 140 for a few months, in the first few weeks I found the fully loaded 140 2WD was a little skittish in the wet ie pulling away on a bank and a little lacking in torque when motorway travelling requiring frequent gear changes for a quick overtake.
So a call to the dealers and an upgrade to a 204 was agreed, what a difference, no more skittish starts due to the 4motion, a lot more sure footed feeling in the wet and the extra torque means overtakes and general motorway work is a much more relaxed affair.
No regrets and more driving fun for me.

I too agonised what to go for. We hired an auto 140 2wd and took it to France. It performed admirably fully laden and up hills in the Dordogne. At no time did I think I needed more power. However when it came to ordering, I threw logic out the window. Despite the increase in fuel consumption, outlay and possibly insurance, I opted for the 204 4wd. I wont need 204 hp and I will seldom if ever need 4wd but I would spend the next 5 years beating myself up for not opting for the top spec. I bet this is true of most 204 4wd purchasers. The only option I had no doubt about was DSG.

Hi BH
We've had our 150PS T6 Ocean since the end of June and we've taken it to North Devon, SW Wales, the west coast of Ireland, the east coast of Yorkshire, SW France and Northern Spain, and the Lake District. I can honestly say that even with four adults and a small dog on baord for some of the trips, I have never felt short of power. Only problem has been the app connect which resolutely refuses to play stuff from my iPod without pops and interruptions, the failure of the screen mirroring system for the phone, and of course, the melting awning seam whilst in France, a problem common to a few of us it seems. Hopefully being replaced today.... I would go ahead the the 150 PS engine - it's powerful, quiet and smooth running.

Back