Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stuck in the mud...

i have the button, (it was an extra of €24) and no 4 motion. ANYWAY You can turn it off without the button anyway, like this:

i have the button, (it was an extra) and no 4 motion. ANYWAY You can turn it off without the button anyway, like this:

I don’t think the button was an option available in the UK. It wasn’t on the options list anyway.

The disable method with the throttle is a ‘dyno mode’, and it only works if you leave the hazards on. May be useful get you out of a hole though.

or maybe just snow chains to be honest, which are amazing for snow, and can help you out of a muddy emergency too.
Mounting chains on wheels already sunk in the mud ?

I had bought a pair of Fiamma grip system traction mats. They are absolutely useless for a car like the Cali, so beware of this product. Too light, too flexible, not grippy enough.

IMG_2140.jpg

what I always have with me:
anfharthilfe_01.jpg

anfharthilfe_02.jpg
Multipurpose :
1.side by side as a rubber mat in front of sliding door on campsite (size= 120 x 22 x2,5 cm each)
2.level the cali on uneven underground , you can fold it 1-2-3 -or 4 times for 1,2,3 or 4 inch height, easier to ride on and off than classic ramps.
3. To drive away on wet grass, mud or ice and snow.
4. easy to stow away : rolled up, flat , folded whatever suits you
5. indestructable rubber and steel cable
6. downside: heavy and smells like most cheap rubber mats..

Having got our Cali stuck today for the 3rd time in the 10 months since we bought it - how many of you out there have done this and what tips (apart from not going on grass in the first place! ) for getting them out!
All weather tyres 4motion and diff lock. Never been stuck. Also got sand ladders and snow chains. Never put snow chains on in 46 years of truck driving. Instead of putting them on we drew the curtains!

View attachment 56389

View attachment 56390
Multipurpose :
1.side by side as a rubber mat in front of sliding door on campsite (size= 120 x 22 x2,5 cm each)
2.level the cali on uneven underground , you can fold it 1-2-3 -or 4 times for 1,2,3 or 4 inch height, easier to ride on and off than classic ramps.
Snap!

We’ve found front wheel traction pretty poor many times.(T5 180 DSG on 235/55 R17’s), even going up just wet inclines.
Our rubber matting doubles up as an escape tool when needed. Works really well, cleans off easily and packs away nicely. Jobs a good ‘un.

And how do I get these too? :D
I found it on amazon.de (traktionshilfe, grip matte, anfahrhilfe), some years ago .
I see it today on amazon.uk as "Emergency Tyre Traction Aid Mat"

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting a 12V winch to carry with me but they are not cheap and you need something to tie it off too. Tyre type is the most important change though. All season tyres are rubbish in snow compared to winter tyres for example.

100% echo your sentiment that a winch is only useful if you happen to have something secure to attach it to. In my experience (not with Cali!) there rarely is anything suitable in the place you find yourself stuck, and to overcome that you'd have to carry a very serious ground anchor which is unlikely to be practical unless you're in full expedition/overlanding rig.

If anyone ever does think about using a winch, be REALLY careful as they are potentially extremely hazardous. Actually you'd be strongly advised against it if you haven't had at least some basic do's/don'ts training first.

A basic tow strap on the other hand is cheap and easy to stow, and as said above there'll often be someone happy to give you a bit of a pull to get you out of trouble.

Interesting thread which is all to easy to happen to a heavy vehicle.

i managed to find an old brown bread tray on the beach whilst out walking. This came straight home with me and out came the jigsaw tool and from the bottom of tray I cut two fairly wide Flat strips.
now when on travels if the ground looks a bit dodgy I put these under the front driving wheels. I am on the lookout over the beach now after a storm to see if I can find suitable for rear wheels.

i do think there are many suppliers that you can buy similar. (Hopefully they are not bread trays)

Spent many years in a 'sweep team' providing rescue for rallies all over the world, and if you are in trouble without anyone reasonably close to rescue you then try deflating your tires to 18psi. Switch to manual and gently rock yourself out. Works in Sand, mud or snow. Do not drive over 40mph until you have opportunity to increase pressure. If you have a self inflating gismo you can drop the pressure to 12 psi without the tires coming off. The tires may need re-balancing.

Spent many years in a 'sweep team' providing rescue for rallies all over the world, and if you are in trouble without anyone reasonably close to rescue you then try deflating your tires to 18psi. Switch to manual and gently rock yourself out. Works in Sand, mud or snow. Do not drive over 40mph until you have opportunity to increase pressure. If you have a self inflating gismo you can drop the pressure to 12 psi without the tires coming off. The tires may need re-balancing.

Great advice, rally sweeps always have the best get-out-of-jail fixes!

Resurrection of old thread as still some useful advice!!

Plus also, this is our current situation:
20230513_172826.jpg
First time for everything! Have dug out (with tent pegs!) just hoping the sun'll dry it out a bit...

View attachment 56389

View attachment 56390
Multipurpose :
Yes agreed. I have a pair of these. They stow nicely in to the under bench drawer. Work a treat.

Having come very close to getting stuck last week in my second trip out at the weekend, i need to think of a backup plan!

Just out on interest, I’m assuming a 2wd Cali doesnt have an LSD so just spins up one wheel when it looses traction?

Back